PDA

View Full Version : Its Official:Triple Core

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

SH0DAN
09-17-07, 09:10 PM
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~120741,00.html

jAkUp
09-17-07, 09:10 PM
Wow thats pretty strange, I wonder if games that are quad core optimized, like Crysis, will also scale to 3?

HeavyH20
09-17-07, 09:19 PM
Nothing like releasing some quad cores that do not make the cut as a triple core. Interesting.

ViN86
09-17-07, 09:25 PM
Nothing like releasing some quad cores that do not make the cut as a triple core. Interesting.
i wonder if you can unlock the fourth core with some creative usage of solder, a pencil, and some silver paint.

mojoman0
09-17-07, 10:09 PM
i think the 4th core might be defective on some chips...good money saving technique instead of junking the whole chip

SH0DAN
09-17-07, 10:34 PM
Oh this is certainly a 'lemonade out of lemons' move on AMD's part.Yields on Barcelona are bad for this to have come about.

a12ctic
09-17-07, 10:49 PM
This is a native quad-core, of course the early chip yeilds arent going to be spectacular...

|MaguS|
09-17-07, 10:57 PM
wwow sounds as retarded as kevpla...

crainger
09-17-07, 11:44 PM
Drinking and posting. |MagNuS| is proof it's a bad idea. :headexplode:

Sobbsy
09-17-07, 11:56 PM
Speak for yourself, because his username is |MaguS|. :thumbdwn:

crainger
09-18-07, 12:03 AM

That's what I said. |MagNuS|

einstein_314
09-18-07, 01:55 AM
That's what he said. |MagNus|

:D

back on topic....that's interesting....seems kinda weird though...3 cores? that just goes against everything! it's not a power of 2!! Ahhhhh!!

buffbiff21
09-18-07, 02:30 AM
Where're those damn funny cat pictures when you need them?

crainger
09-18-07, 02:55 AM
http://static.dropline.net/cats/images/dune-cat.jpg

SOAD
09-18-07, 04:01 AM
my favorite lol :D

crainger
09-18-07, 04:19 AM
That's what he said. |MagNus|

:D

back on topic....that's interesting....seems kinda weird though...3 cores? that just goes against everything! it's not a power of 2!! Ahhhhh!!

Power of three. Just like that Charmed show.

Of course when one dies, there is a long lost sister core to come and complete the 3. :D

Capt. Picard
09-18-07, 04:26 AM
Why don't they just skip triple and quad core and jump straight 16 core. Sure it will be more expensive but who needs both kidneys anyways.

Xion X2
09-18-07, 06:47 AM

LOL. You're probably on the money with this one.

AMD just keeps making the strangest decisions lately. Why pick one of these up when you can get a functional Kentsfield G0 for 280$? I'm guessing that these will not be much cheaper than that. I guess they had to do something with those that didn't make the cut...

KasuCode
09-18-07, 07:03 AM
I guess they had to do something with those that didn't make the cut...

You hear that crainger. We can just turn you into a Triple Core :D

hehe :p

DRen72
09-18-07, 07:31 AM
I read this article as well...http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,2184275,00.asp?kc=ETMS102049TX1K0100486

I am now certain this kind of stuff will result in the end of AMD in the next few years. There is no way I will buy AMD if they are going to put chips on the market that didn't pass testing and call them something else. Thats like buying a house and one room is crap, so you board it up and tell everyone you can't go in there. Another bad move for AMD.

KasuCode
09-18-07, 08:06 AM
I read this article as well...http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,2184275,00.asp?kc=ETMS102049TX1K0100486

I am now certain this kind of stuff will result in the end of AMD in the next few years. There is no way I will buy AMD if they are going to put chips on the market that didn't pass testing and call them something else. Thats like buying a house and one room is crap, so you board it up and tell everyone you can't go in there. Another bad move for AMD.

Its not much diffrent from a cpu not passing spec to be clocked higher then having to fall down to what it can be used as.

Tygerwoody
09-18-07, 08:08 AM
:rofl I laugh at AMD's incompetence. This really is sad. "Hmmm. We don't know how to make a quad processor chip. Instead of just throwing these DEFECTIVE parts in the garbage(like a real company Intel would do), lets try and sell these DEFECTIVE parts to our customers! Wow what a great idea!"

AMD is just digging their grave.

KasuCode
09-18-07, 08:12 AM
Well for all that looks like intel wants to do Triple core too.

Some senior industry sources have confirmed that Intel wants to go triple core as well. AMD announced its triple core and it will start shipping it in early 2008, but its still unknown when Intel will start doing the same thing.

Desktop systems would be the market for such a product and three is better than two and at the same time worse than four so the math works quite easily.

Intel can take dual cores that are part of the quads and reuse the duals when one core doesn't work and make its own triple core and this will happen as soon as Intel decides that it really needs one.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3089&Itemid=1

Defective parts: Its the way of the future.

Q
09-18-07, 08:15 AM
:rofl I laugh at AMD's incompetence. This really is sad. "Hmmm. We don't know how to make a quad processor chip. Instead of just throwing these DEFECTIVE parts in the garbage(like a real company Intel would do), lets try and sell these DEFECTIVE parts to our customers! Wow what a great idea!"

AMD is just digging their grave.

Isn't this what Intel traditionally did for the Celeron line? Any Pentium's that had imperfect caches ended up with half of the cache disabled and were then sold as Celerons.

Tygerwoody
09-18-07, 08:20 AM
Isn't this what Intel traditionally did for the Celeron line? Any Pentium's that had imperfect caches ended up with half of the cache disabled and were then sold as Celerons.
No... Intel took perfectly good working Intel chips and disabled part of the cache to sell as celerons at a lower price point.