PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking problem?

Technoholic
09-18-07, 12:41 AM
I don't know if this is the problem. But I updated my BIOS for the first time in my life. :|

But I updated to bios 0805 or whatever. Updating to this BIOS says enhanced overclocking ability, blablabla. Something to do with better overclocking.

Let's just get to the point now, ever since I had the E6400 I had it clocked at 3.0 GHz and it was stable ever since. Only OCing the FSB in BIOS (right now it's running 1066MHz [rated FSB]). And now after I updated, the system is not stable anymore. I'm assuming it has something to do with giving some voltages boost?

If I should boost my voltage and which voltage would that be? After looking at my CPUZ it shows my core voltage is at 1.152 :wtf: I remember seeing it higher, so is that what I need to boost?

My current memory timings is not on stock as well, it's showing me on CPU-z, 5-5-5-18-2T. The stock timings is suppose to be 5-5-5-12-T1 on 1.8V as well I think, would it make any difference if I follow the true timings it's supposed to be?

jcrox
09-18-07, 12:53 AM
the looser timings would make it easier to overclock... I'm not sure what voltage an e6400 is supposed to run but wow, that number seems real low.

Rytr
09-18-07, 01:18 AM
Does the bios read the same as CPU-Z on the Vcore? If it does you might try to push it up to the 1.26 to 1.31V range to see if it will stabilize. If it stabilizes I would then set the ram to spec timings.
To get 3.0GHz, it may need a little more voltage on the ram above 1.8V (0.1-0.2V, not sure on the Corsair).
If not I would just go back to the old bios which might not be a bad idea anyway from from what you have posted. New bios appears to supply low Vcore voltage, not stable, and does not identify ram timings correctly...three strikes...

Technoholic
09-18-07, 11:47 AM
Not stable at 3Ghz, but it's stable at stock. I'm assuming it has something to do with vcore being too low for 3Ghz. I was reading the reviews for E6400, people had their clock at 3 Ghz with volt 1.3. I guess I will put my voltage at 1.3 and see what happens.

And I will set the timings to spec.

But what does this timings mean anyway? -- I have 5-5-5-18-2T. And in the cpu it has the same, but between 18 and 2T is 22clocks (bank cycle time)? What do I set that to, manually?

XDanger
09-19-07, 01:18 PM
turn off c1e or whatever it is.
Dont forget the NB voltage

Feel like posting your detailed bios oc setting attempts?

SOAD
09-19-07, 01:40 PM
For the C2D range stick the voltage up to 1.4v and leave it at that (After you have compensated for vdrop).

That will unlock most of hte potential of the chip.

Aas someone else stated, the northbridge voltage is incredibly important, Just watch the temps ;)

Technoholic
09-19-07, 02:59 PM
yeah, I posted another thread about it with detailed OC specs.