PDA

View Full Version : Crysis DirectX Version Affects Multiplayer Gameplay

ATOJAR
09-18-07, 01:41 AM
According to fan site Total Crysis, Crytek has issued a press release revealing several details and answering a lot of questions about Crysis multiplayer.

The most interesting point revealed was the difference in Multiplayer game experience between DirectX 10 and DirectX 9.
"To shed some light into one of the most discussed topics regarding Crysis multiplayer I would like to explain you the differences between Crysis MP DX9 and DX10.

As for the DX9 version we won't have physics and day and night cycle in-game. That means you won't be able to shoot down trees and/or alter any other objects than vehicles on the map. Additionally the time of day setting doesn't change dynamically. This is caused due to the tremendous server load such physics might cause on crowded gaming servers. Still you will be able to experience maps with different time of day settings since the maps can be altered in the Sandbox2 Editor.

Rather than providing the community partially working features we limit this for the DX10 version only. Due to the strong hardware available with DX10, server load is less and performance is increased. This ensures the pure physics and day and night cycle experience without any limitation.

Gamers with a DX10 card are able to play on DX9 servers, but with the limitation of the respective server. Vice versa it is not possible for gamers with DX9 cards to play on DX10 servers due to the limited features."

For the full press release and more Crysis multiplayer info, follow the link available through the downloads tab.

http://www.megagames.com/news/html/pc/crysisdirectxversionaffectsmultiplayergameplay.sht ml

3DBrad
09-18-07, 01:52 AM
Megagames is apparently mega-behind the times, because that's old news crackuh!
:p

KasuCode
09-18-07, 01:53 AM
Dont wanta be rude or anything but this has been posted before and is kinda old news.

nutcrackr
09-18-07, 03:10 AM
Actually some of the infomation about the specifics was never confirmed in as much detail before at least I don't remember it was. 99% of servers will run dx9.

Rakeesh
09-18-07, 09:15 AM
99% of servers will run dx9.

How do you know this? Sounds to me like it will be easier to run a dx10 server.

Try4Ce
09-18-07, 09:58 AM
But DX9 is still more present than DX10 ... If there were more DX10 Servers than DX9 servers, Crytec will be in trouble...
As for me I still have DX9, so I'm a little sad that I can't taste the full MP flavor...
The DX10-Servers-Better-Than-DX9 still sounds fishy ... IMO another try to get the money out of the customers for the pleasure of MS and Vista...

jeffmd
09-18-07, 10:14 AM
DX9 cards out number dx10, but I know you wont be catching me on any dx 9 servers. ;)

Thingding
09-18-07, 10:50 AM
That was news to me. Is it a roundabout way of saying Crytek realise anyone who can run DX10 has probably got a machine that can handle a few more stresses than everyone else, rather than actually using DX10 features?

Is this the start of a PC class divide?

nemecb
09-18-07, 11:40 AM
Interesting that they can't do day-night on DX9 servers. It seems like that would be primarily a lighting thing, which is not something I'd expect to affect the server much. Must be something I don't know about it (although considering the number of videos I've watched that seems hard to believe;)).

jeffmd
09-18-07, 12:58 PM
nem, it does seem a bit strange, but for what ever reason, time of day if used on the client, needs to be calculated by the server, and that is using the 3d card to do so.

Dreamingawake
09-18-07, 01:11 PM
Makes sense to me.

mumstheword
09-18-07, 01:24 PM
Makes sense to me.

thats because u have a dx10 card (nana2)

methimpikehoses
09-18-07, 01:30 PM
Hopefully they can tweak the game so it doesn't chug on the DX10 OS...

nutcrackr
09-18-07, 05:17 PM
How do you know this? Sounds to me like it will be easier to run a dx10 server.
guess? Only around 5-10% can run dx10 cards in dx10 mode, so maybe there will be a few more. But as a server operator I'm sure you want the most people to play on your own, which means dx9