PDA

View Full Version : 8800 fatality?

4Aces
09-18-07, 11:32 AM
Yeah it sounds right, especially since it won't be now or ever compatible with DX 10.1 it would seem XFX has alot of extra 8800gts chips and is attempting to dump them before more capable and most likely compatible with DX 10.1, myself I've put a hold on purchasing ANY video card costing over $100 US. It's just not worth it, current 8800 cards do DX 9 look prettier in games than 7900 series but aren't as stable, they were supposed to do DX 10 not just DX10 but all the updates or so we thought. I now have two modern day FX5800's :) and paid $900 to get them, you can't know how overwhelmed I am with joy. I know this is not Nvidia's fault but that does not change the fact that I have two very expensive cards that are dead end products much sooner than I ever expected, since it was just what 4 months ago that DX 10 came to light in Windows ME 2007? Ya gotta love Bill, myself I've got a pin cushion that looks just like him :)

jAkUp
09-18-07, 12:30 PM
This is no different than DX9 and DX9.0c. 5 series supported only DX9.

Fact is there are DX10 games out now that work on 8 series cards.

khellandros66
09-18-07, 12:38 PM
Yeah Umm

My revision A2 8800GTS 320MB EVGA can clock just as well, and once you hit 639 Core the Shader Core is at 1498Mhz, and I can push the ram to 1003Mhz (2006Mhz effective), save your money get the EVGA IMO, personally I find nothing special about someone who is that obsessed with videogames.... :rolleyes:

~Bobby

XDanger
09-18-07, 02:07 PM
FX5800 ,Dead end sooner than you expected?
Change your expectations ,Graphics cards last 18 months max.
When exactly did you buy them?

As for DX10.1 if you are making a point that 8800's are not compatible and obselete then you are on to a loser given some common sense.You already know 10.1 is just an internal change we see nothing different with ,not that I have a problem with you bashing any companies ,You vent that spleen, you obviously need to judging by your previous posts.

The 8800's have had a good run , now on to the new stuff please :)

4Aces
09-19-07, 12:08 PM
I stand by my original post. If you'd like to debate it then sure I'll do that but it would appear you want to support your position by bashing me? At least I think that's what you were doing, the post wasn't that clear. Anyways if you want to debate cool I'll do that but if you want to fill a need by bashing me to make yourself feel better then go ahead if it makes you feel like you won that's fine. You might want to see someone about that though :)

Airbrushkid
09-19-07, 01:05 PM
I didn't see any bashing yet. I got a Geforce 3 that I paid $400.00 for back in the day. But thats life, about every 6 months or so a new one comes.

XDanger
09-19-07, 01:15 PM
Huh? Nah. Nothing to debate.
I dont really need to feel any better about myself or my hardware purchases, I make wise choices so dont feel angry about them and feel the need to post stuff like you do.
This doesnt relate to the OP but Kids who couldnt afford an 8800 and have started posting things like " Ha Ha im glad I didnt waste my money on an 8800 seeing as its a dead duck now what with DX10.1" are just kidding themselves.

balex99
09-19-07, 01:35 PM
I stand by my original post. If you'd like to debate it then sure I'll do that but it would appear you want to support your position by bashing me? At least I think that's what you were doing, the post wasn't that clear. Anyways if you want to debate cool I'll do that but if you want to fill a need by bashing me to make yourself feel better then go ahead if it makes you feel like you won that's fine. You might want to see someone about that though :)

Did I miss something? Or did XDanger edit his post? I personally am very pleased with my 8800GTX purchase. This was my first top end buy(bought it last December) and still to this day not much can beat it. If the 9800 comes out and beats it by a substantial margin then I will be all over it. I am not so worried about Dx10 or 10.1. All I want is for the card to give me good fps with all the eye candy on my new 24" Samsung.

Madpistol
09-19-07, 02:24 PM
Huh? Nah. Nothing to debate.
I dont really need to feel any better about myself or my hardware purchases, I make wise choices so dont feel angry about them and feel the need to post stuff like you do.
This doesnt relate to the OP but Kids who couldnt afford an 8800 and have started posting things like " Ha Ha im glad I didnt waste my money on an 8800 seeing as its a dead duck now what with DX10.1" are just kidding themselves.

I have to agree with you. My 8800 GTX has been a dream and for the $550 that I payed for it back in December '06, I do not regret a single penny of that money. It is the finest video card I have purchased thus far.

And 4aces, don't bash 8800 owners by posting "Huck Huck! I own 2 modern day 5800 Ultras, and I'm so ****ing happy that I think one of my balls just dropped!!! (nana2) " Do you even know what the FX 5800 Ultra was? Do you know that it was the absolute worst modern GPU that Nvidia ever made? It was slow, loud, and power hungry. The 8800's use a lot of power, but the list of negative points for the 8800 stops there. And calling the 7900's more stable than the 8800's is bull****. Maybe in the beginning they were, but as of right now, there is not a single game that I've gotten in the last 4 years that my 8800 GTX cannot play. You're arguing a moot point.

Believe it or not, there are some of us that think the 8800's are wonderful, and then there are those like you who can't seem to accept the fact that the 8800 series was a brilliant card series that was a powerhouse @ DX9 and it runs DX10 games rather well as well. The card does exactly what it was designed to do. For you to expect more from it is just stupid.

Labyrinth
09-19-07, 02:56 PM
Yeah it sounds right, especially since it won't be now or ever compatible with DX 10.1 it would seem XFX has alot of extra 8800gts chips and is attempting to dump them before more capable and most likely compatible with DX 10.1, myself I've put a hold on purchasing ANY video card costing over $100 US. It's just not worth it, current 8800 cards do DX 9 look prettier in games than 7900 series but aren't as stable, they were supposed to do DX 10 not just DX10 but all the updates or so we thought. I now have two modern day FX5800's :) and paid $900 to get them, you can't know how overwhelmed I am with joy. I know this is not Nvidia's fault but that does not change the fact that I have two very expensive cards that are dead end products much sooner than I ever expected, since it was just what 4 months ago that DX 10 came to light in Windows ME 2007? Ya gotta love Bill, myself I've got a pin cushion that looks just like him :)

Maybe it's just me, but I have no idea what you just said.

john19055
09-19-07, 06:41 PM
It will still plays games great even when DX10.1 comes out ,the 8800GTX is a pretty strong card and the 8800GTS is not bad either when overclocked like most of them do with no problems.Besides if you are a gamer then you know as soon as you buy a system ,In a few months there will always be something better.

jolle
09-19-07, 06:51 PM
DX10.1 doesnt seem to be much of a update concerning consumers, rather seem to tighten up the restrictions the API set on the hardware, and alot of the new requirements are already fullfilled on current DX10 hardware.
So I dont see DX10.1 getting any special rendering paths over DX10, or DX10 users missing out on anything.

Unless Ive missed something about DX10.1?

Amuro
09-19-07, 09:46 PM
This is no different than DX9 and DX9.0c. 5 series supported only DX9.

Fact is there are DX10 games out now that work on 8 series cards.
Yes, it's just like that. DX10 cards are compatible with DX10.1, it's just that they won't support the new features in it.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20070815123340.html

SH0DAN
09-21-07, 11:51 AM
I didn't see any bashing yet. I got a Geforce 3 that I paid $400.00 for back in the day. But thats life, about every 6 months or so a new one comes.

Same here ! Hell,I paid very near 900 dollars Cdn back in mid 2000 for a Geforce 2 Ultra from Hercules and it had a LIFETIME warranty.... LOL,they went out of biz not long after,and took my 'lifetime warranty' down with them. :D

Single Most expensive 3d card I have ever bought.So when I paid 479 Cdn for my eVGA 8800 GTS 640 on Dec 15th 2006 from NCIX,I thought it a was a bargain,and rightfully so. :cool:

I've forked out tons for 3d cards over the years,and dont see the issue with it,no one ever said pc gaming,or gaming in general was going to be a cheap
hobby.Is the Fatality worth the asking price ? Only the buyer in question can answer that properly.

To me personally ? no,But I am not its target market.After the Ultra in 2k I made a decision to never again buy top of the line,as had been the case for years before.I have recently changed my mind,as my lovely wife made me realize that its only a few bucks extra... I dont drink or smoke,or travel much,and do work and study hard,I deserve a few treats in life.