PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTS 640MB Memory overclock!

ATOJAR
09-18-07, 02:58 PM
Ok guys i have a short and simple question, basically im running my GTS at 1.8GHz on the memory .... this speed is rock stable under atitool stress tester! however i can AND have tested my card at 1.9GHz & 2.0GHz, both games and 3dmark06 run fine BUT those speeds are not stable with atitool! will it hurt my card to run the memroy at 1.9GHz or 2.0GHz even though its not atitool stable but runs games and 3dmark06 without problem? ... what do you reckon?

As i said 1.9GHz & 2.0GHz are rock stable in both games and 3dmark06!

Thanks.

Athena
09-18-07, 04:05 PM
How are you doing on heat? Also what performance gains are you looking at in your games going past 1.8 on the memory? (I do not need to know about any performance gains in 3Dmark, if you are OC'ng just to get stupid numbers I care not)

ATOJAR
09-18-07, 05:01 PM
First off i dont do alot of benchmark testing, well only when i first install new drivers or hardware to see what performance gain i get! ... i am wanting to try and squeeze that little bit extra out of my card ready for the crysis demo release ... and for the full game release! ... not only that but all overclocker like to get the most out of there hardware!

My temps are really good i have a Thermalright HR-03 Plus cooler, its never gone over 65c under load .... ever!

conroejoe
09-18-07, 09:19 PM
My temps are really good i have a Thermalright HR-03 Plus cooler, its never gone over 65c under load .... ever!

Keep in mind thats your GPU core - not the ram. Is there airflow over the memory?? If it's artifacting I wouldnt run that fast, because you could get lockups, rendering errors and who wants that once Crysis comes??

I run mine at 648/1000 - but any higher on my memory and I get errors in ati tool too. Mine is watercooled with a fan blowing over the memory.

john19055
09-18-07, 10:43 PM
If it does not run ATITOOL stable at 1.9 or higher then I would not run it that high ,just because it runs some games with no problems ,it could be a problems later on.I would run some benchmarks and see what is the actual gain you get with running it at 1.9 .

XDanger
09-19-07, 12:03 AM
if you dont mind not running 100% stable then what the hell.

ATOJAR
09-19-07, 01:44 AM
If the shader clock is clocked to high can that cause atitool to fail?

DeusGear
09-21-07, 01:21 PM
Shaderclock does tend to mess up in atitool faster then memory. Also keep in mind that ATitool stresses your video card more then any single game will ever try to do, so if you're getting 1-2 errors every now and then you're still fine, as long as you don't get a full screen yellow block.