PDA

View Full Version : PunkBusters Services

nekrosoft13
09-18-07, 01:59 PM
Anyone noticed two new punkbusters background services?

pnkbstrA.exe and pnkbstrB.exe?

Are those things really required to run in the background all the time? I'm trying to cut down on background processes.

Severian126
09-18-07, 03:44 PM
I believe they are mandatory if you are to play any games that uses that specific punkbuster. I think they are for a version of Battlefield 2/2142? I tried turning it off once, but I couldn't join any games.

bugmeplz
09-18-07, 03:46 PM
yeah, turning them off leads to being kicked so just ignore 'em. They don't take up a lot of resources IIRC.

Eliminator
09-18-07, 05:46 PM
just set it to manual in control panel so they only start when u play the game

Dragunov
09-18-07, 05:50 PM

Are those things really required to run in the background all the time? I'm trying to cut down on background processes.

When do u see those processes, when u start a game?

Amuro
09-18-07, 08:36 PM
PnkBstrA is supposed to run all of the time. It monitors changes to game files and other proccesses for suspicious activity.

PnkBstrB only runs when you're in-game and is more of a visual anti-cheat. It also looks out for suspicious key presses and mouse movements.

PnkBstrB will only scan you when you're on a PunkBuster protected server.
PnkBstrA will only take action when it detects something as soon as you join a PunkBuster protected server.

malachi1313
09-18-07, 09:15 PM

Yes they are required. If they are not running you will get kicked from games.

Amuro
09-18-07, 10:01 PM
He said "all the time"...they are required only when playing, not all the time(not playing).

As stated, set them to MANUAL in services.msc and forget about it.
a recent PB update made it "all the time".

Eliminator
09-18-07, 10:06 PM
a recent PB update made it "all the time".
not like it will prevent you from going into control panel and changing back to manual

nekrosoft13
09-18-07, 10:40 PM
to many companies keep adding services, this is getting out of hand.

Amuro
09-18-07, 11:01 PM
not like it will prevent you from going into control panel and changing back to manual
Why change it back?