PDA

View Full Version : Need to replace my RAM and I'm not current with the good brands...

Ninjaman09
09-18-07, 02:46 PM
First of all, my motherboard is a bit picky when it comes to RAM. I had some G.Skill go bad on it about 8 months ago and picked up some Corsair - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145590 specifically - and now one of my sticks has gone bad. I'm hearing bad things about Corsair these days and I'm thinking of going with OCZ but I'm not totally sure if that's what I want to do either. Any input would be very helpful.

evilghost
09-18-07, 02:47 PM
I've always been a fan of Crucial Micron. http://www.crucial.com

They make quality memory.

Tr1cK
09-18-07, 02:52 PM
I'm currently using Corsair and Patriot (PDP) with good results. I hear OCZ and Supertalent is good as well.

buffbiff21
09-18-07, 02:54 PM
Corsair has the best return policy.. various employees lurk on other forums such as [H] and XS and can help you out.

How is your RAM bad? Overclock unstable? Did you test it? Use Memtest86+ for a whole day (24 hrs) .. I'm a fan of the DOS mode Memtest but there are Windows modes now.

Reason I ask, is it could be your northbridge chip that's unstable.. trying to "juggle" overclocked RAM along with the CPU FSB using a divider. If you run your CPU stock, all you need is 533MHz RAM. So, if you're running your RAM at 800MHz, then just put it to double the front side bus frequency.

In all reality, it doesn't matter which company brands the RAM sticks... it's the chips underneath those heatspreaders themselves that matter. Micron, ProMOS, etc. (FYI, your RAM sticks use ProMOS... all the "lower end" Corsair sticks do, and yes, I've had problems with them too)

Corsair, G Skill, Crucial... all they do is take those chips and bin them. So, essentially, the rated speed on the box is more or less determined by how much time the company takes to bin the chips.

Ninjaman09
09-18-07, 02:56 PM
How is your RAM bad? Overclock unstable? Did you test it? Use Memtest86+ for a whole day (24 hrs) .. I'm a fan of the DOS mode Memtest but there are Windows modes now.
Failed every test in Memtest86 and of course the constant computer crashing kinda tipped me off. ;)

I don't overclock my computer anymore.

ghost: I went ahead and ordered some Crucial as per your advice, thanks.

Tr1cK
09-18-07, 02:59 PM
Failed every test in Memtest86 and of course the constant computer crashing kinda tipped me off. ;)

I don't overclock my computer anymore.

ghost: I went ahead and ordered some Crucial as per your advice, thanks.

I don't overclock my RAM anymore, but I do CPU and GPU. I found that more RAM is always better than overclocking it and the benefits from clocking it up really weren't that great of a trade-off in real world testing.

Ninjaman09
09-18-07, 03:05 PM
I don't overclock my RAM anymore, but I do CPU and GPU. I found that more RAM is always better than overclocking it and the benefits from clocking it up really weren't that great of a trade-off in real world testing.
Well unless you have a processor with unlocked multipliers (is that common now?) you have to overclock your RAM, at least if you want to run 1:1.

Tr1cK
09-18-07, 03:15 PM
Well unless you have a processor with unlocked multipliers (is that common now?) you have to overclock your RAM, at least if you want to run 1:1.

Not many systems run 1:1 by default do they? It varies depending on the CPU and RAM being used. I think my default with e4300 and DDR2-800 is 1:2.

Ninjaman09
09-18-07, 03:31 PM
Not many systems run 1:1 by default do they? It varies depending on the CPU and RAM being used. I think my default with e4300 and DDR2-800 is 1:2.
I'm not sure, with Athlons (last time I messed with it), the HTT default speed was 200MHz and the RAM was defaulted at 1:1 (DDR making the effective speed 400 MHz). Just remember the memory clock and the actual effective speed of the RAM isn't the same. I was under the impression that all systems run 1:1 by default.

Tr1cK
09-18-07, 03:36 PM
Well I know for your CPU/RAM combo it is 2:3 (1066 FSB / 800 RAM) by default. I run a 5:6 (1333/800) and my performance seems great to me.