PDA

View Full Version : PC Gamer The Orange Box Review

Pages : [1] 2

nekrosoft13
09-18-07, 10:17 PM
total score 94%

HIGHS: Episode Two action-packed and emotionally engaging story; TF2's perfected multiplay; Portal's innovative and fun new technology.

LOWS: You'll want more Half-Life answers, more TF2 maps, and more Portal puzzles.

BOTTOM LINES: The Orange Box is one of the finest compilations of gaming content ever produced.

six_storm
09-18-07, 10:46 PM
I thought TF2 was in beta? I want the damn Black Box though.

crainger
09-18-07, 11:45 PM
Good news on the Ep2 story. :D

I'd have given 94% or more even if it was just TF2. :D

Time for some Tikiman jumping :jumping:

Armed_Baboon
09-18-07, 11:59 PM
Typical HL2 D*ck sucking from the media. I'm not saying it's not good, but some of these places go way overboard.

crainger
09-19-07, 12:21 AM
Hey. I don't mind a bit of HL2 Dick sucking. I loved HL2. Every moment of it. Valve are true artists and deserve every praise I can give while on my hands and knees.

sl0ppy_sec0nds
09-19-07, 12:45 AM
I hope there is a map editor for TF2.

nekrosoft13
09-19-07, 06:19 AM
i'm still deciding should i get Orange Box or just HL2 E2

crainger
09-19-07, 07:47 AM
i'm still deciding should i get Orange Box or just HL2 E2

If you plan to play either Portal or TF2 then get the Orange Box as it's cheaper then buying one now and another later. BUT if you just want Ep2 then just get Ep2. :D

nekrosoft13
09-19-07, 08:02 AM
that thing is i'm not sure if i want/need TF2 or portal. There should be some type of demo

KasuCode
09-19-07, 08:11 AM
that thing is i'm not sure if i want/need TF2 or portal. There should be some type of demo

You need TF2 and portal.

Logical
09-19-07, 08:28 AM
If anyone hasn't got any of the games of The orange box...then imo it's a must have. :)

jcrox
09-19-07, 09:34 AM
I haven't played EP1 yet, so I'll probably pick up both EP1 and EP2. Here's to hoping the two of them take more than a single afternoon to play through... although I do like HL2, it was at the same time one of the more disappointing games I've ever bought, could be Far Cry took a lot of the air out of that balloon though.

six_storm
09-19-07, 09:36 AM
I'll grab TF2 and Portal when I buy a new video card and Crysis. Maybe at that time, the price will have dropped lol.

SOAD
09-19-07, 11:05 AM
TF2 is brilliant :D

Had the day of yesterday and played from when it was released to 4:00am :o

It kicks ass even though i have a latency of 300-8000 (according to netgraph_3). kinda sucks that I have a choke of 60-80 :(

Sniper ftw!

I hate the spies. Cunning little schitts. Dont mind being one though :D

CaptNKILL
09-19-07, 12:10 PM
Yep, TF2 is awesome. I highly recommend picking it up with the Orange box.

Tr1cK
09-19-07, 12:14 PM
Do you have to get Orange Box to get TF2?

|MaguS|
09-19-07, 12:15 PM
Do you have to get Orange Box to get TF2?

No but you do to play the beta.

SOAD
09-19-07, 01:21 PM
TF2 is the bomb!

I highly recommend it.

:D ;)

californian1
09-19-07, 01:27 PM
yeah i hope they didnt dumbed down graphics for PC version now that they have to port to to 360 and PS3

although its highly unlikely that TF 2 will have a better experience on live and PSN ..... lol prolly 8 maybe 16 players max on consoles ....

console ruins fps for PC

Tygerwoody
09-19-07, 01:35 PM
yeah i hope they didnt dumbed down graphics for PC version now that they have to port to to 360 and PS3

although its highly unlikely that TF 2 will have a better experience on live and PSN ..... lol prolly 8 maybe 16 players max on consoles ....

console ruins fps for PC
... You do realize the game is pretty much released right? If there is any dumbing down being done, its going to be to the consoles. The PC version looks absolutely fantastic. They won't undo what they have already done. That doesnt even make sense.

|MaguS|
09-19-07, 01:37 PM
... You do realize the game is pretty much released right? If there is any dumbing down being done, its going to be to the consoles. The PC version looks absolutely fantastic. They won't undo what they have already done. That doesnt even make sense.

And I dout that either the PS3 or the X360 lack the power to run a source based game. It's not like its Crysis level of graphics...

KasuCode
09-19-07, 02:09 PM
A normal xbox played HL2. TF2 Could be ran on a normal Xbox (not 360) without the AA.

Tygerwoody
09-19-07, 04:31 PM
And I dout that either the PS3 or the X360 lack the power to run a source based game. It's not like its Crysis level of graphics...
thats not my point. My point was that PC's wouldn't get dumbed down regardless. A ps3 or x360 could easily render this game, yes I agree.

jolle
09-19-07, 05:42 PM
There prolly will be.
Orange box isnt due out yet, the only thing you can do with now is play TF2 beta and Peggle Extreme, both very enjoyable IMO. (well, and HL2 and EP1 if you havent yet)
Portal and EP2 isnt even preloading yet.

But I would guess there will be demos around the time they launch em, seems fairly certain that portal gets a demo with a few maps, and I wouldnt be totally suprised if there was a TF2 demo with 1 map or something aswell.
thats not my point. My point was that PC's wouldn't get dumbed down regardless. A ps3 or x360 could easily render this game, yes I agree.
Dumbing down a game isnt really about the graphics.. thats fugling it up!
I think perhaps some of the larger UI things (Engineer building screen for example) might be console influence, but overall it feels pretty good as it is.
Never played that much TF in the past, only brushed with it a few times, so I dunno if the gameplay has been dumbed down to accomodate console gamers.

K-1
09-19-07, 06:09 PM
Anyone remember Valve telling us that if we already owned HL2 and Ep1, we could take the extra keys from Orange Box and give them away? How exactly do we go about doing that? I thought it would be in the "guest passes" menu, but there's nothing there.