PDA

View Full Version : Pink Screen of Death?! [8800 GTX & C2Q]

mcbacker
09-19-07, 01:04 PM
Members,

Have you, 8800 owners, ever seen this screen before? It happens only after playing Crysis for a while and only in this game!

Running Windows XP, latest Beta Forceware 4 Crysis/BioShock. (Doesn't happen in BioShock!)

http://38.99.76.18/img218/1195/dsc00763qh0.jpg

CPU - Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.907Mhz (1.315v @ BIOS) [L702C559] w/ Big Typhoon
Motherboard - ASUS P5B DLX WiFi/AP
Memory - 2 x 1GB G. SKILL 800 HZ (D9GMH) @ 970Mhz (5-5-5-15-2T) (2.15v)
Video - XFX 8800GTX Stock
Sound - Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, Logitech X-530
Hard Drive - 3 x Seagate 250GB (Raid 0 + Backup)
Power Supply - Enermax 565P - 535W
OS - Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bits

PS: Fixed memory leak crash by turning the Full Screen option ON... this game wasn't made to be played windowed.

MC

john19055
09-19-07, 06:47 PM
It looks like a bad video card.I would say you have it overclocked to much ,but you are running it at default.It still looks like a video card problem.

mcbacker
09-19-07, 08:13 PM
It looks like a bad video card.I would say you have it overclocked to much ,but you are running it at default.It still looks like a video card problem.

With just one game!?

Doubt that...

MC

grey_1
09-19-07, 08:35 PM
I used to get exactly that pattern with, of all games, Farcry. It was after the botched 1.2 (I think it was 1.2) patch that was recalled.

Sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes I wouldn't get it at all. But that was the only game it happened with. I think it was updated drivers, at the time, that wound up fixing it.

Do you get the flashing textures right before it goes?

mcbacker
09-19-07, 08:38 PM
I used to get exactly that pattern with, of all games, Farcry. It was after the botched 1.2 (I think it was 1.2) patch that was recalled.

Sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes I wouldn't get it at all. But that was the only game it happened with. I think it was updated drivers, at the time, that wound up fixing it.

Do you get the flashing textures right before it goes?

Nope... no flashing before, no messages, no warnings... just the damn CRASH!

MC

JonDHIV
09-19-07, 08:48 PM
Have you checked the temps on your video card? Had a similar problem with an overheating card before.

kam03
09-19-07, 09:27 PM
Nope... no flashing before, no messages, no warnings... just the damn CRASH!

MC

Turn AA off and set it to application controlled on nvidia control panel or you can goto game profiles and set AA mode to application controlled.

mcbacker
09-19-07, 09:37 PM
Have you checked the temps on your video card? Had a similar problem with an overheating card before.

It's cold... 64C Max... i have a HR-03 on it!

MC

mcbacker
09-19-07, 09:37 PM
Turn AA off and set it to application controlled on nvidia control panel or you can goto game profiles and set AA mode to application controlled.

It's configured this way.

MC

mcbacker
09-19-07, 09:39 PM
ATM i'm testing the game with the latest WHQL drivers on Vista... the problem didn't came up yet, but the game is crashing with Critical Exception... i found out that if i set the affinity to One processor only, it doesn't crash... this beta needs a lot of developers work...!

Thanks to everybody is trying to help ;)

MC

Bokishi
09-19-07, 10:27 PM
My first 8800 did that screen constantly back in november last year. I RMA'd it and the replacement worked perfectly.

nekrosoft13
09-20-07, 12:29 AM
With just one game!?

Doubt that...

MC

when its one single game in history that pushes the hardware where it never was before

then its absolutely possible.

holwill
09-20-07, 02:16 AM
I had exactly the same problem with Bioshock,Crysis Beta,MOH Airborne and I tried everything, The card was replaced on tuesday and the problem has now gone , so rma it or get cross shipping if you can. I statred a thread here on saturday http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=98469 there you will see my screenshots!

mcbacker
09-20-07, 09:25 AM
I had exactly the same problem with Bioshock,Crysis Beta,MOH Airborne and I tried everything, The card was replaced on tuesday and the problem has now gone , so rma it or get cross shipping if you can. I statred a thread here on saturday http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=98469 there you will see my screenshots!

holwill,

Thanks for your reply!

Really helped...

I have exactly the same behavior as you described, except for the games that was crashing with you... mine happens only with Crysis (by now)... not, tell me, you said that in Bioshock you can reproduce the error by moving to a specfic area..

"with Bioshock it is possible to replicate the crash nearly every time in the same area"

Where is ths area? Do you have the save game that leads to that?

Thanks a lot again!

MC

holwill
09-20-07, 11:04 AM
When you surface from the water after the plane crash, keep to the right hand side swimming slightly through the flames and then keep right till you get to the steps. This would lead me to crash to that screen 9 out of 10 times. In Crysis beta build 1 it would happen randomly anywhere,Graw2 again fairly randomly and MOH Airborne would happen ocasionally, but this time it would be a black screen then reboot. If you want to chat pm your msn if you have one.

mcbacker
09-20-07, 11:12 AM
When you surface from the water after the plane crash, keep to the right hand side swimming slightly through the flames and then keep right till you get to the steps. This would lead me to crash to that screen 9 out of 10 times. In Crysis beta build 1 it would happen randomly anywhere,Graw2 again fairly randomly and MOH Airborne would happen ocasionally, but this time it would be a black screen then reboot. If you want to chat pm your msn if you have one.

OK, thanks for the info... I'll be at home tonight so we can talk better. 9PM, GMT - 3.

MC

zoomy942
09-20-07, 11:18 AM
this is why i dont have a gaming pc at home anymore. too many problems

mcbacker
09-24-07, 12:19 AM
Think i figured out what was causing that... been playing Crysis/Bioshock all weekend and after installed 163.71 Beta drivers the problem is gone... but, i remember that with the previous driver, i was also messing with Crysis.exe process affinity... trying to make it more stable under Vista (what seems impossible by now, came back to XP to be able to play...)... dunno if that was causing that strange screen, but has been a few days i don't see it again! =]

The game still crashes (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION) but according to Beta Forum that is happening with everybody, or almost...

Thanks for all feedbacks.

MC

malachi1313
09-24-07, 12:51 AM
Members,

Have you, 8800 owners, ever seen this screen before? It happens only after playing Crysis for a while and only in this game!

Running Windows XP, latest Beta Forceware 4 Crysis/BioShock. (Doesn't happen in BioShock!)

http://38.99.76.18/img218/1195/dsc00763qh0.jpg

CPU - Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.907Mhz (1.315v @ BIOS) [L702C559] w/ Big Typhoon
Motherboard - ASUS P5B DLX WiFi/AP
Memory - 2 x 1GB G. SKILL 800 HZ (D9GMH) @ 970Mhz (5-5-5-15-2T) (2.15v)
Video - XFX 8800GTX Stock
Sound - Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, Logitech X-530
Hard Drive - 3 x Seagate 250GB (Raid 0 + Backup)
Power Supply - Enermax 565P - 535W
OS - Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bits

PS: Fixed memory leak crash by turning the Full Screen option ON... this game wasn't made to be played windowed.

MC

That's what mine looked like and I discovered it had the wrong resistor type/value. Took 2 rma's from evga for them to get it right....

ashe0211
12-03-08, 06:35 AM
Yeah I have had my card since Feb 2007 and I now am getting that same screen. I have an 8800GTX and I'm playing mad games like Crysis and COD4 and 5. This is the first I have seen of it. My card is only getting to about 80c before it crashes on me. Then it freezes the computer and I have to do a hard restart which is very bad. I have bought a can of air and blown the card out so I don't think that is the problem. I have attached my DxDiag :)