PDA

View Full Version : Lack of tech advancing is making me real mad!

Pages : [1] 2

nightmare beta
09-19-07, 02:15 PM
I'm rather angry that all of the lcds currently available are all old-tech.

There's no reason why TN panels should still exist, and ips panels band way too much also, no 100-120 hz refresh rates, it's been 60 hz for way too long, no led backlights, and still only 8 bit/component max.

Doesn't everyone find it rediculous that we've had the same ****ty tech for ages now?

I would assume this is just me, and now that I want high refresh rates, no one else will anymore.

Take this thread seriously, and politely, please. I know that if someone else posted this thread everyone would think it was great, so try to treat me with the same respect.

Q
09-19-07, 02:19 PM

There's no reason why TN panels should still exist, and ips panels band way too much also, no 100-120 hz refresh rates, it's been 60 hz for way too long, no led backlights, and still only 8 bit/component max.

Doesn't everyone find it rediculous that we've had the same ****ty tech for ages now?

I would assume this is just me, and now that I want high refresh rates, no one else will anymore.

Take this thread seriously, and politely, please. I know that if someone else posted this thread everyone would think it was great, so try to treat me with the same respect.

IPS > VA > TN

A few panels do offer 10 bit color and 120hz refreshes, but the market demand isn't there yet. You can't blame companies for spending money where they won't be able to make it back.

SOAD
09-19-07, 02:29 PM
quite true. The technology is good enoguh at the moment. Some people are still on CRTs lol

There is no reason to be shooting on ahead when other companies arnt.

Til another company comes up with something innovative and markets it, they do not want to because other companys will losely use their ideas without chipping into research which is massive ;)

Q
09-19-07, 02:32 PM
Some people are still on CRTs lol

I LOVE my CRTs. I've yet to see any LCD compete with the IQ, lack of ghosting, color reproduction, and black levels of a decent CRT monitor. For text, LCD's FTW, but for any multimedia or gaming, CRT is still the way to go.

buffbiff21
09-19-07, 02:46 PM

You're complaining about 60Hz refresh rate? LCD are active matrix. There would be zero improvement in increased refresh rate.

BTW I love my old HP 15" CRT too. It's not even flatscreen, but the colors are so perfect..

evilghost
09-19-07, 03:08 PM
With people like you growing up as our next generation truthfully I'm lucky that I can pick up the phone and still get a dial tone or turn the keys on my car and it not explode. Another 12 years when you enter the work-force and I'm certain my computer equipment will no longer measure speed in megabit but instead PPM (Pokemons Per Minute)

XDanger
09-19-07, 03:45 PM
The reason is the LCD Panel Mountain , And its HUGE
true story

We never got HD CRT TV's over here ,What was that like?

Tr1cK
09-19-07, 03:47 PM
I hope he doesn't swell up and turn green.

hordaktheman
09-19-07, 04:25 PM
IPSes band?

nightmare beta
09-19-07, 06:07 PM
You're complaining about 60Hz refresh rate? LCD are active matrix. There would be zero improvement in increased refresh rate.

BTW I love my old HP 15" CRT too. It's not even flatscreen, but the colors are so perfect..

It would reduce the blanking and input respones time, but it wouldn't have affect ghosting.

I could be wrong, but I don't know.

nightmare beta
09-19-07, 06:09 PM
IPS > VA > TN

A few panels do offer 10 bit color and 120hz refreshes, but the market demand isn't there yet. You can't blame companies for spending money where they won't be able to make it back.

Why are ips better than va?

Thanks for replying in my thread=)

Rakeesh
09-19-07, 06:13 PM

Exactly.

At least, as far as regular applications and games go. Movies are a slightly different story, namely because they are usually shot in roughly (but not quite) 24fps. 24fps doesn't time evenly into 60hz, but it does time evenly into 120hz. What that translates to is the occasional but very very rarely noticeably non-smooth panning. High emphasis on rarely noticeable, in fact you have to look for it in order to see it.

Other than that, there is zero benefit for having anything greater than 60hz in an LCD display since it is solid state display technology.

Xion X2
09-19-07, 07:46 PM
With people like you growing up as our next generation truthfully I'm lucky that I can pick up the phone and still get a dial tone or turn the keys on my car and it not explode. Another 12 years when you enter the work-force and I'm certain my computer equipment will no longer measure speed in megabit but instead PPM (Pokemons Per Minute)

LOL. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif

qube
09-20-07, 03:10 AM
bha fore tech its sucks big...time

:udawg:

DRen72
09-20-07, 08:22 AM
I LOVE my CRTs. I've yet to see any LCD compete with the IQ, lack of ghosting, color reproduction, and black levels of a decent CRT monitor. For text, LCD's FTW, but for any multimedia or gaming, CRT is still the way to go.I'm going to agree with you, but add that when I finally went to LCD it took me months of research to pick the one I wanted. Keep in mind I was coming from the Sony GDM-900 24" CRT. Those are awesome CRT's.

For me, the BenQ 241WZ LCD beat the CRT in text and desktop use easily and in most cases games were at least equal. Where the LCD cannot touch the CRT is in darker colors and true blacks.

Ghosting has not been an issue either, only the dark colors and I guess the lack of the option to run at lower resolutions without the screen size shrinking or getting blurry.

Absolution
09-20-07, 11:44 AM

I agree with you at least. LCD Development is at a standstill. Prices are slllooowly going down while technology is hardling improving. I'm definitally waiting for 120hz + led backlit for my next lcd. I want to upgrade, but there is nothing that makes a significant difference compared to my 4 year old LCD.

jeffmd
09-20-07, 12:56 PM
I LOVE my CRTs. I've yet to see any LCD compete with the IQ, lack of ghosting, color reproduction, and black levels of a decent CRT monitor. For text, LCD's FTW, but for any multimedia or gaming, CRT is still the way to go.

One thing I liked about all my lcd screens is they offered better color then any of my crt monitors. They just seemed more vibrant. Also, while ghosting is more of an issue, sharp lines and clarity also excel on an lcd vs a crt who at high resolutions, pixles blur in with the color cells and detail is lost.

Tr1cK
09-20-07, 12:59 PM
LCDs are much lighter, use less power, put off less heat, typically widescreen, and mostly DVI. Screw CRTs. The pros far outweigh all the cons.

Q
09-20-07, 01:00 PM
One thing I liked about all my lcd screens is they offered better color then any of my crt monitors. They just seemed more vibrant. Also, while ghosting is more of an issue, sharp lines and clarity also excel on an lcd vs a crt who at high resolutions, pixles blur in with the color cells and detail is lost.

You see, the color SEEMS better because most LCD monitors are set to PLEASE BLIND ME for brightness and contrast. The majority of LCDs can only produce around 70% of the full gamut while the high end ones get around 90%. The colors they do show look great, but the total number is lacking.

And don't even get me started on black levels and muddy pictures....

DRen72
09-20-07, 01:11 PM
...The colors they do show look great, but the total number is lacking...If its not a true 8 bit panel, yes.

Q
09-20-07, 02:01 PM
If its not a true 8 bit panel, yes.

Even the 8 bit panels only do 70-90%. For higher gamut levels you need a 10 bit panel.

nightmare beta
09-20-07, 03:45 PM
Exactly.

At least, as far as regular applications and games go. Movies are a slightly different story, namely because they are usually shot in roughly (but not quite) 24fps. 24fps doesn't time evenly into 60hz, but it does time evenly into 120hz. What that translates to is the occasional but very very rarely noticeably non-smooth panning. High emphasis on rarely noticeable, in fact you have to look for it in order to see it.

Other than that, there is zero benefit for having anything greater than 60hz in an LCD display since it is solid state display technology.

I was always told that it would give faster input response.

CaptNKILL
09-20-07, 04:58 PM
Exactly.

When Vsync is on in games a higher refresh rate can improve performance. Even with triple buffering.

And with vsync off, higher refresh rates reduce tearing.

J-Mag
09-20-07, 05:03 PM
And with vsync off, higher refresh rates reduce tearing.

I don't think that is necessarily true. Tearing increases the farther you get from a 1:1 ratio of frame rate and refresh in either direction.

ViN86
09-20-07, 05:10 PM
i think your 40 line signature is more disturbing nightmare. :|