Temujin1978
09-19-07, 02:08 PM
Hi,

I have an old rig, a Gateway I bought in 2002 with:

AMD 1.8 Ghz Processor
100 GB HD
2 GB RAM
ATI RADEON 8500 (128 MB)

I recently bought the 7600 GS 256 MB AGP 4x/8x, uninstalled the old drivers, and put the card in, connecting it to the power supply. After that, my computer did not start - no power lights will even come on, not on the power button, and not on the power supply (which has an LED). The fan on the power supply won't even start. The whole thing is completely dead.

I removed the new card after that and replaced it with the old one (ATI RADEON 8500), essentially bringing it back to the way it was, and the computer still did not start (no noises, no anything - other than the click of the power button as I futilely push it on and off several times).

I've checked all the connections to make sure nothing is loose, and plugged and re-plugged everything back in, to no avail.

My computer seems totally busted. Can someone help?

Thanks!

Incidentally, the other day I bought and installed a Norwood Micro Nvidia GeForce 6800 XT, and it worked just fine. I pulled it out since I wanted the EVGA 7600 GS

Airbrushkid
09-19-07, 02:24 PM
It may be a dead power supply. It happens. I just replace one that died after 11 months.

Temujin1978
09-19-07, 02:27 PM
I still gotta go home and test that theory by trying a working power supply (I have an extra) with my mother board and other stuff (w/o the new card), to see if it's only the original power supply that isn't working.

I hope the card didn't fry the mother board. :(

Temujin1978
09-20-07, 03:26 PM
I just bought a new 400 Watt power supply (my old one is 230 Watts, which would explain why it couldn't handle the 7600 GS) and plugged it in, and unfortunately, no reaction - not even the fan of the new PSU went on.

However, I did see a little green light on the motherboard and the power switch on the front of the case glowed orange (normally it glows green). But no other reactions. I even tried a CMOS clear of the BIOs (with my original card, not the new one), to no avail.

I think the MoBo is fried, since clearly the PSU is not the problem. Thoughts, anyone?