PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Engine 3 Games, best use of the engine?

Pages : [1] 2 3

nekrosoft13
09-20-07, 08:13 AM
Since few Unreal Engine 3 games are out. Which game do you think currently makes the best use of the engine?

Take graphics, sound, gameplay, network and performance under consideration.

PC ONLY! and CURRENT TITLES!

m3dude
09-20-07, 08:21 AM
ut3 or gow

nekrosoft13
09-20-07, 08:23 AM
wow, you have UT3 and GoW for PC? care to share?

six_storm
09-20-07, 08:38 AM
I would say it would be a tie between Bioshock and GoW for the 360 . . . but you never specified it to a be a PC only vote. So I guess I'll have to go with Bioshock since GoW isn't out for the PC yet. :rolleyes:

CaptNKILL
09-20-07, 08:46 AM
I voted for Bioshock but from the demo of MOH: Airborne that seemed excellent as well. It ran good and looked fantastic.

I think UE3 will be one hell of an engine.

m3dude
09-20-07, 08:58 AM
wow, you have UT3 and GoW for PC? care to share?

no but epic is a FAR better development house then anyone else using unreal engine 3. its also THEIR engine so im sure they know it the best. gow blows away every other unreal engine 3 game, and graphically so does ut3.

DRen72
09-20-07, 09:16 AM
I vote none unless they get the AA working properly.

3DBrad
09-20-07, 09:20 AM
Anti-aliasing works in severa of these games.

I like to run Medal of Honor: Airborne at 16x anti-aliasing. :D

crainger
09-20-07, 09:21 AM
I choose Airborne. Bioshock looked great, but a lot of the stuff in bioshock like the water, was added by the dev and not really to do with the UE3 engine. THEN again, props to the UE3 for being able to support add-ins and middleware so easily.

evox
09-20-07, 10:04 AM
MoH - Airborne

best graphics :)

|JuiceZ|
09-20-07, 10:07 AM
no but epic is a FAR better development house then anyone else using unreal engine 3. its also THEIR engine so im sure they know it the best. gow blows away every other unreal engine 3 game, and graphically so does ut3.

X2

Monolyth
09-20-07, 10:33 AM
BioShock for its great use of mood-shaping environments & colors.

I cannot agree with MoH:A, it looked...I dunno the same as all other WWII games, besides I barely had time to enjoy the environment in MoH:A before I had to blast some Nazi bastards. MoH:A was fun for a WWII FPS, but as far as caring about the engine, the physics, the graphics it's just not a game where you care about it, honestly it could've looked the same as CoD2 and I wouldn't have cared...

|MaguS|
09-20-07, 10:41 AM
Bioshock by far...

conroejoe
09-20-07, 10:47 AM
If think it depends on if you prefer realistic games or fantasy. Fantasy, Bioshock. I prefer realistic so I'd say MOHA or RS Vegas (the right click cover is just amazing!!). I'm not into chasing elves around and **** - Bioshock had like 3 models splicers, big daddies and little sisters... why do people praise this game so much? It was so limited!! MOHA looks amazing, the use of motion blur and depth are field are great.

I prefer realistic games so my tendencies are more towards those types of games. People that don't mind being a shoemaker in WOW are probably more likely to like Bioshock ;)

wysiwyg
09-20-07, 10:57 AM
Vote for Bioshock and Airborne

both great looking yet very different looking games. very versatile engine

3DBrad
09-20-07, 11:03 AM
Besides, 2k started to use Unreal Engine 2.5 for their game. However, they then switched to UE3. I think this is why the levels are sometimes "closed in" (like Quake or Doom) and aren't vast like MOH:A or UT3. ;)

Monolyth
09-20-07, 11:18 AM
Besides, 2k started to use Unreal Engine 2.5 for their game. However, they then switched to UE3. I think this is why the levels are sometimes "closed in" (like Quake or Doom) and aren't vast like MOH:A or UT3. ;)

I'm afraid I must disagree, BioShock feels closed in because you are in a giant underwater city (thus the environment must reflect this)...MoH:A doesn't because you can see the sky and trees and grass. However I found MoH:A level-wise was just as small as BioShock and just as limited.

I believe it was SoF2 that tried dynamically generated maps in MP (yet to see it SP), and we'll see more of it in Hellgate: London. But until game dev's create a truly boundary-less game (ie. areas generated on the fly), we'll be stuck with these limitations on freedom. A big problem with area generation is that you must also store that zone information so that if a person returns you load up what you previously generated. And while it's all point data, it can build up over time, especially if a player enjoys exploring.

jeffmd
09-20-07, 11:27 AM
MoH:A dosn't have a whole lot of variety in looks, big deal that its out doors, dosnt matter when every where you look is either green, brown, or stone white. Its not a bad looking game, but Bioshock easily wowed me more with its lustrous indoor environment and shaders abound. Unreal 3 looks to be pretty hot to, but I havnt seen a whole lot of different environments for it yet. They keep showing like the same 2 maps.

3DBrad
09-20-07, 11:30 AM
Bioshock has some of the ugliest character models in any current game, BTW.

K007
09-20-07, 11:40 AM
Both Shock and Medal of Honor did a good job of using it and making work well for SLI ><

GoW should look pretty awsome too and run pretty well...provided its not a hafl assed port like R6. Btw Vegas looked/felt really great, like someone mentioned about the right click/wall thing that was pretty cool. The only problem with vegas is..it ran like ASS...compare that to Bioshock/Airborne which both ran great out of the box

Destroy
09-20-07, 11:44 AM
ut3 or gow

Agree, none of the above.

Hopefully what he said if they both properly support FSAA and are of proper FOV and widescreen.

Eliminator
09-20-07, 11:50 AM
currently GOW on xbox360

SwedX
09-20-07, 12:21 PM
Bioshock on the Pc of course ;)
But hey a little better textures wouldent hurt at all..blame the crappy consoles for that one!

But heres looking forward to GOW Pc edition with much higer res textures..that will be great as the game is super nice looking as it is allready :)

DRen72
09-20-07, 01:19 PM
Anti-aliasing works in severa of these games.

I like to run Medal of Honor: Airborne at 16x anti-aliasing. :DYeh, but you had to force it using nHancer didn't you?

3DBrad
09-20-07, 01:37 PM
Yeh, but you had to force it using nHancer didn't you?

And? :p