PDA

View Full Version : To all fellow graphics wh0res, whats the nicest looking 360 game to date?

SeriTonin
09-20-07, 02:58 PM
Out on a shelf right now. Not talking about Mass Effect, UT3, Halo 3 or Blacksite, I'm talking in the present, already released. What title in your opinion is graphically inferior to all the rest?

My vote goes to Gears of War. It's the only game that has textures that stay detailed even when you zoom in on them. Usually wall, door, window textures all blur out when you walk right ontop of them...even bioshock suffers from this, but gears takes care of one of my pet peeves I've had for years...no more "close up" washed away textures.

Throw in hdr lighting, parallax mapping, the awesome modeling, just a great looking game all around if you ask me.

What do you think?

jAkUp
09-20-07, 03:00 PM
IMO BioShock, Skate and GoW.

EDIT:

Fight Night Round 3 also.

Odral
09-20-07, 03:18 PM
Gears of War! Hands down.

Tr1cK
09-20-07, 03:21 PM
Assault Heroes!

I really don't know. I have only seen the Bioshock demo out of that whole list. Besides that, I only have PGR3, Forza 2, TDU, and Fable: LC. None of which look as good as Bioshock.

Severian126
09-20-07, 03:46 PM
Definitely Gears of War.

|MaguS|
09-20-07, 03:54 PM
Bioshock, I never thought Gears looked that great. It's art direction i think its poor and the graphical issues are so in your face that its distracting (textures not loading quick enough).

LycosV
09-20-07, 03:56 PM
Gears of War followed by Fight Night round 3. Bioshock looks good but it doesn't look as good as GoW and FN.

Lyme
09-20-07, 04:04 PM
BioShock has such a larger palette of colour usage than GoW. GoW was very brown.

MustangSVT
09-20-07, 04:46 PM
Bioshock has an amazing initial impression, but Gears of War maintains the graphics mindblowingness throughout the whole game, so I voted for gears of war.

3DBrad
09-20-07, 06:45 PM
Bioshock, I never thought Gears looked that great. It's art direction i think its poor and the graphical issues are so in your face that its distracting (textures not loading quick enough).

(1) Art direction? Epic is KING of art direction. No game developer even comes close. Yeah, yeah, I know this is all "opinion" really, but Epic's art team is about the best their is. Their character models are great, and the textures have a lot of "character" to them as well. :D

(2) The "graphical issues" are a part of Unreal Engine 3 streaming process. The reason you see blurry meshes/objects sometimes is because the textures are being streamed in on-the-fly. Most other Unreal Engine 3 games have this "problem," including Bioshock. This is simply done so you don't have to be staring at a loading screen the whole time. :)

|MaguS|
09-20-07, 07:05 PM
(1) Art direction? Epic is KING of art direction. No game developer even comes close. Yeah, yeah, I know this is all "opinion" really, but Epic's art team is about the best their is. Their character models are great, and the textures have a lot of "character" to them as well. :D

(2) The "graphical issues" are a part of Unreal Engine 3 streaming process. The reason you see blurry meshes/objects sometimes is because the textures are being streamed in on-the-fly. Most other Unreal Engine 3 games have this "problem," including Bioshock. This is simply done so you don't have to be staring at a loading screen the whole time. :)

1) Epic has interesting art but they are not nearly the best in the industry. I can name so many games better then any EPIC title that have better art design.

2) Yes it is a flaw in the engine and I have only seen this flaw happen in a bad way with Gears. Yeah I have seen it happen in Bioshock when I first load the game but never after, It happens in Gears very often... Im talking turning the corner in a hallway and its all looking horrid. It also isn't a quick second, it has lasted for me for over a min... I was playing with it going on.

S.I.N
09-20-07, 07:06 PM
1- Bioshock - Alot more variety over Gears and over all better art direction and that ****ing water is insane.

2- Gears of War - Looks great but needs more color variety. Also the textures dropped out alot.

3- Fight Night - Whoa!

4- Skate & Tony Hawk - Both look great.

5- Dead Rising - Awesome!

kev13dd
09-20-07, 07:34 PM
Dirt FTW

K

NaitoSan
09-20-07, 07:37 PM
Bioshock wins in art direction (art deco), everything else is just amazing to look at especially water effect. Gears of War comes 2nd.

ragejg
09-20-07, 08:28 PM
/waiting for Alice 360 (crazy) re: art direction, and maybe an Oni Sequel (we all know how much arse that would kick)... :p

For Now: Bioshock and GOW, most definitely. And that damn Fight Night game.

penitent_one
09-21-07, 08:55 AM
Gears by far, Epic may not have the best artsy fartsy sh1t but they do the best detail and the best vibrance.

Marvel_us
09-21-07, 10:06 AM
I'll go with Gears of War but Bioshock is a very close second. The art in both games are very different but amount of detail on the enemies in Gears slightly edges out Bioshock for me.

sytaylor
09-21-07, 10:42 AM
Im not sure how stranglehold made the list, it looks exactly like Shenmue. It is however a damn good max payne with Havok.

I went for fight night, just because I think overall its the most realistic. The best look is bioshock but the Art Deco steals it.

SeriTonin
09-21-07, 10:44 AM
I threw stanglehold in there cause it uses the unreal 3 engine and the water on certain levels is INSANE.