PDA

View Full Version : 8800 GTX - Can my PSU handle it?

Chubz
09-20-07, 11:26 PM
Heya guys, I'm currently in a dilemma right now in terms of making a buy decision on the 8800 GTX. I'll try to keep the story as short as possible ..

Earlier this year (in early June actually) I was planning on getting a 8800 GTS (640MB) and a new power supply to power it.

I ordered the PSU and it arrived and I installed it, but something went very wrong with the GTS order thanks to BestBuy's crappy online site and I had to cancel the order and never bothered ordering it again. (Yes, my fault.)

Now, I'm in a situation in which I've saved up enough money (about $500) to afford a 8800 GTX, HOWEVER my question is whether or not my PSU will handle it. Below are my system specs including my PSU:

AMD X2 4800+
2 GB RAM
Integrated video card [to be replaced]
330 GB SATA hard-drive
Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL 550w Power Supply

If you guys need the specs for the Power Supply, here is a link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182030

Just as a special note:
I've been using the power supply since June when I ordered it and it hasn't given me a single problem yet. In fact, it is very quiet and was well worth the money in my opinion (I replaced a 300w PSU I believe).

I ordered this PSU because I knew it would power a 8800 GTS with no problems, but I'm just wondering if I could power a GTX with it. If you read the reviews, two people say that they've managed to power a 8800 ULTRA with it with no problems, so I'm hoping this is a good sign.

So what would you say? Yes? No?

Please help! I have to decide whether or not to order the GTX within a week or so!

Thanks in advance.

(nana2)

jamie<3hope
09-21-07, 09:59 AM
Yes, you will be able to power a singular 8800GTX with that PSU no problem.

SH0DAN
09-21-07, 11:21 AM
I think you'll be fine,as long as you dont load up with another 5 hard drives and a few more optical.If those qouted specs are all you have to power currently,you'll be ok with a GTX.