PDA

View Full Version : are there any decent ready made water kits that are upgradable

XDanger
09-20-07, 10:58 PM
I'll be switching to h20 when I upgrade my cpu as it maybe be the last chip I buy for this board and theres nowhere else to go to gain any extra power out of it.

Are there any decent basic kits around that I can start with that have reasonable performance and that I can swap parts out for in the future?

Mangler
09-21-07, 04:36 AM
I'll be switching to h20 when I upgrade my cpu as it maybe be the last chip I buy for this board and theres nowhere else to go to gain any extra power out of it.

Are there any decent basic kits around that I can start with that have reasonable performance and that I can swap parts out for in the future?

Any kit from swiftech except their new kit with apogee drive I guess?

All the kits from swiftech more or less use highend blocks/pumps and radiators, so upgrading it in the future should not be a problem.

XDanger
09-22-07, 10:46 AM
Im not ignoring the Swiftech advice, but im looking at the XSPC ,is that toot?

wolfgar
09-23-07, 12:05 PM
most kits CAN be upgraded, but you need to be careful. Many pre-assembled kits can't handle much more load (thermal and flow resistance) than whats in the kit. And many Kits don't do a good job in the first place. Do your research.

its all a balancing act.
pump (flow and pressure) - tubing interior diameter - radiator dissipation rate - fans - blocks ....
(then the WOW factor)

my 0.02: I went through similar examinations

think about your 'end design' and how much water flow you will need for that.
1/4, 3/8 or 1/2 tubing ?

the tubing size is the one part that is not upgradeable. If any one piece is narrower or flow restrictive (blocks, fans, rads, ...) , it affects the entire system badly. You will be locked in permanently. (or replace almost everything)

I went through the same exercise, and eventually spec'ed out the higher end swiftech kit with several addons.

I designed it, had the parts selected, but didn't build. It didn't seem cost effective. Decided to save the money for the next CPU upgrade.

PS: checkout the coolit solution stuff
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=coolit&x=0&y=0