PDA

View Full Version : Triple-screen hell

cr0ft
09-21-07, 09:11 AM
Up until a while ago I was running on two old 6600GT cards, and could thus easily (more or less) run three screens (when not SLI-ing). Ahh, the good old days.

Because triple screens is nice, but playing actual new games is nicer, I bought an 8800GTS with the hope I could run one of the old 6600's for the third screen, but the box wouldn't even POST with that in there. I figured it just wouldn't fly, so I spent a very minor amount of money on a PCI card with an ATI 9250 chip in it, and... had real problems getting the machine to POST with the 8800 and the PCI chip in there.

I did a little tinkering in the BIOS and shut down IRQ assignments for needless stuff like the game port on the mobo and then I could finally get everything to start.

Unfortunately, now I have to choose - I either use the two screens on the 8800 or the single screen on the 9250, because as soon as I have both cards in there and try to activate all three screens, Windows screams about outdated drivers that won't work with this version and chokes.

The 9250 is a DX 8.1 part, can that be the problem, or do I have some other incompatibility issue?

Is anyone running three screens on dual 8800 GTS's? Does that provably work? I had huge issues getting three screens up and running with the 6600GT's too, had to use an ancient driver as using the most recent at the time made the machine just hard reset when I tried activating three screens. I guess testing triple-screen dual-card layouts is not high on Nvidias testing teams lists... :P

If I must then I'm willing to fork over another sh-tload of cash for another 8800 GTS - I don't need the SLI performance but on the other hand there's no such thing as fast enough, and I really want to get all three screens back into operation, but if I buy another expensive card and get hard resets when trying to run three screens again I may snap and you may be reading about the weird berserker rage the computer weenie fell into... ;)

cr0ft
09-21-07, 06:03 PM
I guess I should add that I'm looking for suggestions on how to get that third screen going.

If anyone can come up with a reasonable idea short of buying another 8800GTS which is my last resort (this is personal now, I'm mad, I'm not giving up until I have three screens working again ;) ) I'd appreciate any input.

Mussels
09-27-07, 01:14 AM
I guess I should add that I'm looking for suggestions on how to get that third screen going.

If anyone can come up with a reasonable idea short of buying another 8800GTS which is my last resort (this is personal now, I'm mad, I'm not giving up until I have three screens working again ;) ) I'd appreciate any input.

i think its because you're mixing an ATI and an Nvidia card. Most consider that a bad idea, as their drivers conflict.

try with a cheaper nvidia card first - i assume your mobo is SLI Capable? (sometiems two Nv cards dont work on crossfire boards, for example)

cr0ft
09-27-07, 05:18 AM
Yeah, I think that's it too. I tried using a 6600GT PCIe card with the 8800 and now my mobo won't even POST. :) It never rains but it pours and all that.

bigtabs
09-28-07, 09:17 AM
It certainly used to be the case (at least back in the 6 series days) that you could run 3 monitors using SLI and a 3rd ATI PCI card. I remember several folks doing it.

Search nzone for details.