PDA

View Full Version : SLI Motherboard

darkbluesky
09-21-07, 12:23 PM
Hello,

I am in the upgrading route. My current rig is P4 3.6 GHz, Asus P5P800, 1 Gb DDR PC4400, MSI 5900XT

I have bought 2 x 7900 GTX for use in SLI, for 275 the pair, (I prefer that because they are compatible with stereoscopic gaming and the 8xxx not yet).

Well, now I'm looking for a SLI mobo, stable, OCable (maybe not super ocable, but not too bad neither). The bad thing is that I wanted to spend 100-150 euros.

I liked some 680i chipset mobos, but I'm afraid they are expensive for me. On the other hand I have read problems about stability on 650i mobos.

Which would you recommend? Tx

Technoholic
09-21-07, 02:10 PM
You might wanna upgrade your processor to Dual Core too. Because they're better for gamings.

But where are you from? So I can look at the right websites for ya.

buffbiff21
09-21-07, 02:25 PM
I liked some 680i chipset mobos, but I'm afraid they are expensive for me. On the other hand I have read problems about stability on 650i mobos.

Looks like a 650i or a 680i LT would be your best bet. They're essentially the same thing, just less things like USB ports, ethernet port, lower PCI-e bandwidth (which makes zero performance loss as of now, mind you).

Something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188017

Though I have no idea what you mean by stereoscopic (dual monitors?), I would do my best to stick with Intel chipset based boards, even if it means selling both your 7900s and getting one 8800.

darkbluesky
09-21-07, 02:28 PM
Thanks. In Europe, Spain, but soon I'll be in France too, so I can buy from both. In fact I wanted to upgrade to:

- E6750 174
- SLI mobo ?
- 2 Gb DDR2 667 66
- 2 x Nvidia 7900 GTX 276
- PSU Silverstone DA850, DA750 or DA650 212 , or 170 or 143

I don't wanted to spend more of 650 , because in one year I'll upgrade.

If someone see something strange in my selection, it is welcome to comment it too, of course

darkbluesky
09-21-07, 02:39 PM
Looks like a 650i or a 680i LT would be your best bet. They're essentially the same thing, just less things like USB ports, ethernet port, lower PCI-e bandwidth (which makes zero performance loss as of now, mind you).

Thanks I'll check. I thought evga is good brand. Your link has good price. I'll check. I have heard that 650i asus are a bit unstable... but I don't know really.

Though I have no idea what you mean by stereoscopic (dual monitors?).

Stereoscopic is playing in real 3D, just like IMAX 3D, you can see all the game as if it was real solid using glasses (that do not alter colors or resolution at all). It is so impressive (when seeing at full screen, not like the cross-eyed screenshots that can be found out there) that for me there is no way back to non stereoscopic gaming. You can see a thread here with sshots. Just keep in mind that the depth effect is much greater when seen at fullscreen. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74758&highlight=virtual+reality

I would do my best to stick with Intel chipset based boards, even if it means selling both your 7900s and getting one 8800 Wow, Are REALLY that bad, nvidia chipsets?

Technoholic
09-21-07, 02:58 PM
Buffbiff, remember.. darkbluesky is from Euro.

And darkbluesky, Buffbiff is right.. get rid of 2x7900GTX and get one 8800GTX so you can enjoy your game with DX10, if you will run Vista.

darkbluesky
09-21-07, 03:20 PM
I usually think that the first generation of gpus that supports a new DXnn are not able of moving smoothly the first games in this new DXnn, just as happened with DX9 and 5xxx series, but maybe I am wrong. Moreover thinking that the first DX10 games are so delayed, I really think that a 9xxx series is the minimum in order to move them...

Anyway I have just bought the 7900s, and a 8800GTX sure is faster but it is more than double the price of the 7900s, I think...and it does not work in stereoscopy...mmmmm

buffbiff21
09-21-07, 07:10 PM
Wow, Are REALLY that bad, nvidia chipsets?

Well, not so much anymore. All the problems have been ironed out if you do choose to go the 680i route, given you purchase one of the A1/T1 revisions. My biggest gripe was the loud loud fan required to cool the northbridge and southbridge. Nvidia chipsets get HOT!

In the longrun, Intel's P35 based boards would be the way to go.. seeing they support future CPU steppings and FSB revisions. Not to mention they overclock far higher than the 680i. They're also electrically capable of running SLI if Nvidia chooses to partner with Intel.

Absolution
09-21-07, 09:47 PM
my advice to you: dont get a 650i, the memory voltage is limited @ 1.95v by spec (which is a problem for a lot of memory - most sites dont even tell you), get either a 680i or 680LT

darkbluesky
09-22-07, 02:00 AM
Well, at least there is something clear. If I go SLI (as I should do to profit both 7900s), I better go 680i. Even if it is expensive.

If the P35 supported SLI right now, I'll buy it. But to buy it hoping that some day they release some BIOS/driver to support SLI...well I prefer buying based on known facts, i.e. that it really support it or that it will do in some fixed date in the next months. If it is not confirmed I fear to have 2x7900GTX and using one for indefinite time...

On the other hand if I plan to do the next upgrade last next year, then the P35 will no more be the reference chipset, I think that for then it will be X38 or something like this. It isn't? Although if I chose P35 know I could always make a little upgrade in mid-year...mmm. Anyway the P35 doesn't support SLI.

Blacklash
09-23-07, 04:41 AM
Bah I got my "trails" mixed up. Ignore this :p

darkbluesky
09-23-07, 10:11 AM
Bah I got my "trails" mixed up. Ignore this :p

What? I don't understand nothing. I guess it is a mistake, ignoring it.

darkbluesky
09-23-07, 10:54 AM
I'm pretty sure to get the EVGA 680i A1, and BTW, could you recommend me which memory to get? I think in 2x1024 Mb. I wanted a memory not too expensive, but that allowed me to run in SLI, and decent OC.

I thought on the Corsair 2x1024 PC6400 (DDR2 800) 4-4-4-12. I have seen it for about 100 € in Germany.

Does it need to be specific for SLI? SLi asks for some special characteristics? I am bit lost. I have seen that some mems tell "SLI Ready", but I don't know if it is only marketing...

Thank you