PDA

View Full Version : 680i Eats Memory

tacos4me
09-21-07, 02:50 PM
My EVGA 680i board just took it's second kit of memory. I was being fairly careful this time too. Was only using 2.1v, rather than 2.3v the first time, which the DIMMs are rated at :rolleyes:. Just a word of warning to any 680i users reading, DROP YOUR MEMORY VOLTAGES! Get them as low as possible. The board will eventually kill your memory at 2.1v+. It may take a year, but it will eventually degrade it to the point where it's not stable no matter the voltage/timings.

This has happened to me twice now, with two different boards. I can't wait to get rid of this piece of ****.

Monolyth
09-21-07, 03:12 PM
It's funny to me how people think that hardware won't fail after being over-clocked. Over-clocking may be "in", but it has never, ever been promoted as being a stable or "long-term" solution.

tacos4me
09-21-07, 03:26 PM
It's funny to me how people think that hardware won't fail after being over-clocked. Over-clocking may be "in", but it has never, ever been promoted as being a stable or "long-term" solution.

This doesn't have anything to do with overclocking. A lot of the "high performance" DDR2 memory have ridiculous voltage requirements to even run at the advertised, STOCK clock speeds. You can run a 680i rig completely stock, using the manufacturer's recommended settings, and your memory will die.

Muppet
09-21-07, 04:55 PM
I have been running my Corsair at 2.4volts for 9 months now. Running 1111mhz 4-4-4-12. It has been very stable.

Slammin
09-21-07, 06:29 PM
This is a known issue with Micron D9 chips. They degrade over time if you run them at anything above 2.0v. Colling slows it and may even prevent it, but the OP is correct, you run them at the vdimm specified to get to their rated speed and most likely they will either die, or you will not be able to post at bios default speed anymore.

None of my 4 sticks post at 1.85v anymore. I had to buy a cheapie stick just so I can flash my bios.

Madpistol
09-21-07, 06:45 PM
That's the reason I run my memory @ 713mhz 4-4-4-11. (processor is @ 3.2Ghz, FSB @ 1426mhz)

Voltage is 2.0V stable. If I drop it past that, it gets finicky.

Xion X2
09-21-07, 08:14 PM
I kept one of my 680i's at stock speeds for a full 2 weeks before it crapped out on me.

The chipset is crap, plain and simple. Some may not have problems, but many do, and it's a bad sign when a product is so inconsistent. There are too many reports of it "eating memory", "overheating," and just "dying" to brush them all under the rug.

Slammin
09-21-07, 09:29 PM
Those 'reports' are over what, 10-12 months old and have been corrected long ago, regarding EVGA mobo's eating memory.

It seems it was a fact that the first EVGA 680's were over-volting. Heck, when I was running an AMD mobo, the same thing happened with a few DF4 mobo's too.

But that, and this is old news. What isn't old news is the fact that they are still selling memory rated at voltages WAY above bios default spec, and some folks are still feeling the pain from it. Without proper cooling, if you run Micron D9 chips at spec for rated speed, they will melt. Sad too because not everyone has a cooling solution to support enthusiast memory and then the panic sets in.

I really doubt there are any more mobos out there eatings ram now though.

Those that find themselves in a bind would probably do best to just go buy a cheapie stick that can get them into bios so that they can bump vdimm up to where their sticks can run.

Sucks, but....

At any rate, I love my 680i based mobo. I can OC the crap out of it except for fsb. This is not a plug-n-play affair if you wanna oc for sure. I should emphasize that too. You really, really, need to want or know how to oc if you want to oc a 680i chipset. And that I think, is what ticks folks off.

The introduction of Linked/Unlinked/Synced is really freaking folks out, though it was intended to let us free up even more oc. Works for me.

Just tonight, I figured out the 'secret' to running unlinked with this bios I'm running now. I am very pleased!

Absolution
09-21-07, 09:42 PM
when i upgraded my pc . . .
1) bought all the parts
2) rma'ed the memory - didn't pass memtest
3) recieved the memory, system still unstable
4) memory passed memtest, and was stable at 711mhz @1T, but nothing higher even at 2T - rma'ed the mb (thought it was the memory controller)
5) same thing, rma'd again
6) same thing, rma'ed the memory
7) finally stable, two weeks later the 680i dies, doesnt even power up
8) rma the mb again

on the upside, since then (probably 8 months ago), all has been stable @ 2.2v (rated spec).

all in all, I had two sticks of bad memory and 1+x bad motherboards (probably just one).

of the last 5 systems i've built for myself, and for other people, there hasn't been one that worked perfectly on first try (unlike almost all the AMD system's ive built). i contribute it to a bunch of ****ty ram and unlucky motherboards (i actually got sent a power supply with the PCI-E connection inverted, when that happens, just ask for a refund, dont even bother trying again)

oh and what are you concerned about? what brand of memory doesn't have a life time warrenty?

GitDat
09-22-07, 07:25 AM
680i is the worst POS I had ever owned. It even fried my underclocked/undervolted RAM. VERY good riddance :thumbdwn:

randsom
09-22-07, 08:48 AM
680i is the worst POS I had ever owned. It even fried my underclocked/undervolted RAM. VERY good riddance :thumbdwn:

GitDat, Id put my box up against yours anyday, and its a 680I based system.

I guess alot of folks here dont remember most of the via chipsets in the late 90's and early 2000's. Those were some garbage, except the kt333(or whatever it was called), that was a good chipset, but the kt2666 was pure trash and the 266a wasnt much better.So this is all subjective.

I personally belive the 680I chipset is a good, mature, stable chipset,with good performance, that overclocks well, and once you get its nuances down can be downright fun to play with.Will also take penryn

I personally like the Linked/Unlinked/Synced feature, gives alot of options and versatility.

FYI my XFX 680 sli is taking my q6600 B3 and OCZ pc6400 to 3.45 1/1, at 1.35 and 2.05 respectivly, My voltages are almost dead on , checked with a mulitmeter

It is far from the worst chipset I have ever owned, not even close.As mentioned earlier in this thread, requiring ddr2 to run at 2.3 or above to hit rated speed is assinine.You dont need to buy 300 dollar highspeed ddr2(pc8500 or pc9200) to hit a good oc.You need to be able tweak,find your sweet spots, and know what youre doing.That is the whole idea behind overclocking, getting more performance for free, with well chosen components

GitDat
09-22-07, 10:02 AM
GitDat, Id put my box up against yours anyday, and its a 680I based system.

Uhh, I would hope you would. Quad-core + SLI = Duh :rolleyes:

Xion X2
09-22-07, 10:38 AM
NM.

Trademark
09-22-07, 11:26 AM
I have yet to receive any memory problems with meh 680i. Finding the right values with a 680i can be a bitch though

jeffmd
09-22-07, 11:54 AM
mine run 1068mhz at 2.3volts (SLI ready memory, so its speced for that. 5-5-5 settings). Hopefully I wont have any melting issues, but if it does, its got a lifetime warranty. ;)

Trademark
09-22-07, 01:11 PM
Yeah most manufactures over lifetime warranty