PDA

View Full Version : Black Screen when installing drivers

ikjadoon
09-21-07, 04:41 PM
Hi. I have a XFX 8800GTS 640MB currently running 162.22 WHQL 64-bit drivers. nVidia has released quite a few more BETAs and even a newer WHQL driver. I'd been trying to install the BETAs, until I ran into this issue. Ignoring it because they were only BETAs, I forgot about it. But I just tried to install the 163.69 WHQL driver and I got the same issue:

I uninstall nVidia Display Driver from the Programs and Features menu. I restart; before the PC boots into Windows, I go into Safe Mode and use Guru3D Driver Sweeper (XDC Driver Cleaner) to wipe any remains. I reboot into Windows, currently using the generic Windows driver. I install the new driver (any driver, really) and I reboot again when asked. When it finishes with the Vista loading bar after rebooting, the monitor goes black. Note, it does not turn off, as the monitor light is still green (on), but I just get a black screen. I can hear Vista loading and my startup programs loading. Then I'm just stuck at this black screen. No cursor or anything.

I do have dual-monitors, but I've checked both: nothing on either. Am I doing something wrong? I've used this exact procedure thousands of times before, it seems, but I just cannot get it working now. :( Is there an alternative method I can try?

The only way I can get it working again is to uninstall the driver in Safe Mode and reinstall 162.22; all others do not work.

Thanks!

:)

~Ibrahim~

grey_1
09-21-07, 05:38 PM
It may be an issue with the new drivers and multi-monitors. I would disconnect one and try again.

Good luck.

ikjadoon
09-21-07, 06:59 PM
Thanks. I somehow got it working, doing it exactly the same way. WTF?

But there is a weird quirk. I can't use Clone anymore. Is that a new bug or something?

I click Clone and then "Apply". It asks me if I want to keep the settings. Right then it jumps back to Single Display.

~Ibrahim~

grey_1
09-21-07, 07:04 PM
I had an NEC 1250+ (old monitor) hooked up along with my 2405 no problem. I was able to clone or choose primary display without any trouble.

Maybe things have been to smooth for you and they needed to glitch you? :)

ikjadoon
09-22-07, 09:28 AM
I had an NEC 1250+ (old monitor) hooked up along with my 2405 no problem. I was able to clone or choose primary display without any trouble.

Maybe things have been to smooth for you and they needed to glitch you? :)

lol, maybe your right. I might try disconnecting a monitor and then installing.But for now, I'm fine with 162.22. Thanks again, :D

~Ibrahim~

mRYellow
10-09-07, 04:40 AM
I had a similar issue. For some reason the non-plug and play driver is installed for the monitor. I got it working by connecting another monitor and then reconnecting mine again.

ikjadoon
10-09-07, 08:51 AM
Interesting idea. I'll plug in my TV and install; that just might work! Thanks! :D

~Ibrahim~