PDA

View Full Version : Vista is now almost/virtually on par with XP.

Pages : [1] 2

[EOCF] Tim
09-21-07, 07:28 PM
If you were holding off on Windows Vista due to the driver situation, it looks like the situation has largely been resolved for both AMD and NVIDIA.

After getting off to a less than ideal start, it looks like the graphics drivers from AMD and NVIDIA are finally shaping up well. A lot of people are probably still going to wait for the first service pack, but if you were holding off on upgrading to Vista due to the driver situation, the problem has mostly been resolved: AMD still has lingering scaling issues with CrossFire, particularly under newer DX10 games.

Source : Firingsquad (http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_nvidia_windows_vista_driver_performance_update/default.asp)

This is really good news, I must say that so far I've been really happy with Vista, and now for GTS 320mb users that bug is gone, it's great. Unfortunately still quite a lot of issues with 2900XT/Crossfire.

Redeemed
09-21-07, 07:32 PM
Tim']If you were holding off on Windows Vista due to the driver situation, it looks like the situation has largely been resolved for both AMD and NVIDIA.

After getting off to a less than ideal start, it looks like the graphics drivers from AMD and NVIDIA are finally shaping up well. A lot of people are probably still going to wait for the first service pack, but if you were holding off on upgrading to Vista due to the driver situation, the problem has mostly been resolved: AMD still has lingering scaling issues with CrossFire, particularly under newer DX10 games.

Source : Firingsquad (http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_nvidia_windows_vista_driver_performance_update/default.asp)

This is really good news, I must say that so far I've been really happy with Vista, and now for GTS 320mb users that bug is gone, it's great. Unfortunately still quite a lot of issues with 2900XT/Crossfire.

That's all news to me. Last I hear CrossFire scaled better in Vista than SLi did. Heck, that's the main reason I'm only using one of my GTSs is cause SLi support in Vista has been so horrible. I might have to give SLi another go though...

Q
09-21-07, 07:38 PM
I nearly just posted something really negative about Vista. I'm sure most others won't have the same restraint. Have mercy on this thread.

I'm glad for those gaming under Vista that the drivers are getting better.

[EOCF] Tim
09-21-07, 07:41 PM
I nearly just posted something really negative about Vista. I'm sure most others won't have the same restraint. Have mercy on this thread.

I'm glad for those gaming under Vista that the drivers are getting better.

Well, for me personally, it's been really good, really stable, and I'm just very happy with Vista. It's doing MUCH much better then XP did when it first came out, that's for certain.

AthlonXP1800
09-21-07, 08:06 PM
Wow fantastic news. I noticed http://www.nvidiaclassaction.org domain is up for sale and I think it now the time to unstick and closed Join the fight against NVIDIA: Ask them for proper Vista drivers thread.

:udawg:

nightmare beta
09-21-07, 09:24 PM
does vista 32 bit edition eat up more memory than xp?

Eliminator
09-21-07, 09:43 PM
yes it does

K007
09-21-07, 10:05 PM
mm..i also thought XFire was more 'working' than SLI in Vista.

I am not sure how they came up with this conclusion, from what i see...SLI is still not that great in Vista has alot of issues, and people have to use different drivers for different games..

I might wait for SP1 as well, do a fresh reinstall of Vista with it, and hopefully the SP1 will have all the KB fixes for all the Dual core/SLI/etc fixes..so i don't have to go on a scavenge hunt around the forums/update site for fixes.

I think single GPU users have some decent good performance though..but it still has alot of hiccups, and i doubt will see any fixes till the GF9 is out..-.-.

But yea..i would love to use Vista otherwise..it looks great, the idea behind how the memory works also is pretty cool...it just needs to be fixed -.-..i hope SP1 is enuf to fix all of those..and hopefully will have some proper SLI working drivers by then too..if not..its pointless to me since i have a 7950GX2..and it needs SLI :/.

BronzeGod
09-21-07, 10:23 PM
They need to fix that refresh rate bug so we can use our monitors full potential once again, then it'll be perfect.

bob saget
09-21-07, 11:20 PM
waiting for service pack......
patiently

jAkUp
09-21-07, 11:21 PM
Vista has been great for me, I think the later NVIDIA drivers have made some huge improvements.

methimpikehoses
09-21-07, 11:59 PM
It's getting better... it's nice that they are releasing updates as new games come out at least.

skoprowski
09-22-07, 12:09 AM
I'd have to mostly agree with 2 exceptions- SLI and sound. SLI still is not working correctly in Vista. Creative has yet to release a fully functioning driver for their Audigy and X-Fi line. However, if you don't SLI and are fine with stereo sound then I see no reason not to go to Vista. Matter of fact, I dual boot between XP and Vista and it has been a while since I've booted in XP.

jeffmd
09-22-07, 12:58 AM
vista is not on par... most games still perform a little slower in vista. I know I have 2000 3dmark06 points that I can't seem to recover to catch up to xp users with the same setup.

Tork64
09-22-07, 01:03 AM
Its not there yet but its gotten much better. In fact I dont use XP anymore, even though I have dual boot I havent switched to XP for a while.

XxDeadlyxX
09-22-07, 01:31 AM
Vista has been great for me, I think the later NVIDIA drivers have made some huge improvements.

Agreed... ever since 163.11 things have been great for me! From January up until June/July though things were pretty bad - important missing features and performance was really dodgy.

jAkUp
09-22-07, 01:33 AM
Yea 163.11 I think was the breakthrough driver for Vista.

Arioch
09-22-07, 02:04 AM
Vista is better but the same games I have installed on my XP partition are still somewhere between 10-20% faster with SLI.

Redeemed
09-22-07, 04:48 AM
I'd have to mostly agree with 2 exceptions- SLI and sound. SLI still is not working correctly in Vista. Creative has yet to release a fully functioning driver for their Audigy and X-Fi line. However, if you don't SLI and are fine with stereo sound then I see no reason not to go to Vista. Matter of fact, I dual boot between XP and Vista and it has been a while since I've booted in XP.
Um... EAX does not give you "surround sound". It gives you some outlandishly awesome reverb if the game is programmed properly. I'm enjoying awesome 5.1 anolog surround sound and decent 5.1 digital all from my onboard audio (the S/PDIF outputs a stereo signal that my A/V Reciever encodes to db ProLogic).

Tabs
09-22-07, 04:57 AM
does vista 32 bit edition eat up more memory than xp?

yes it does

That depends on what you mean exactly by "eat up" - Vista gives the appearance of using up all your memory, but it's because they changed their philosophy on what constitutes good use of memory. Free memory sitting around doing nothing is a bad thing and Vista uses that area to cache frequently used applications and files - it's called SuperFetch. If you disable services and background apps you can get Vista's actual real-time memory usage pretty close to what XP's is.

skoprowski
09-22-07, 09:27 AM
Um... EAX does not give you "surround sound". It gives you some outlandishly awesome reverb if the game is programmed properly. I'm enjoying awesome 5.1 anolog surround sound and decent 5.1 digital all from my onboard audio (the S/PDIF outputs a stereo signal that my A/V Reciever encodes to db ProLogic).

Were did I mention EAX or surround sound? The same fuctionality in Creative's XP driver is still not available with the Vista driver- I'm talking dvd-audio, DD/DTS decoding etc.

jeffmd
09-22-07, 12:42 PM

Are you/have you tried the SBXF_PCDVT_LB_2_15_0002.exe drivers? I havn't been having any issue in my games with these.

rakesh27
09-22-07, 01:24 PM
Guys,

As you say Vista is pretty good now, what about people that use nforce 3 mobos and also as someone mentioned the drivers refresh rate will someone eventually allow us to still use the old classic control panel in Vista, cos its so much easier to use then the current version.

Another thing is i own a X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatailty Pro 64 mb x-ram version and i prefer to use the drivers of the cd since it stills support 6.1ch unlike the new ones that are just out, will they drivers of the CD still work in vista.

I have asked creative to rectify the current driver to support 6.1ch sound and they said there working on it. I hope it gets done soon, thanks in advance and look forward to all your responses.

XDanger
09-22-07, 06:06 PM
I asked bill gates to fix uac so it wasnt so intusive,
He said he'd think about it.

XP X-Fi driver wont work with Vista

[EOCF] Tim
09-23-07, 07:15 AM
I asked bill gates to fix uac so it wasnt so intusive,
He said he'd think about it.

XP X-Fi driver wont work with Vista

There is no reason not to turn it off if you handle your own security and know what you are doing,...haven't had a virus or spyware in years.