PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of this?

XxDeadlyxX
09-22-07, 01:27 AM
I have no idea what this is... can anyone pinpoint what Nvidia control panel options fixes this?

http://aycu38.webshots.com/image/27197/2005913891869814665_rs.jpg

I get it in many games like Doom 3 too. At one point I tried maxing out everything in the CP but to no effect.

Eltigre88
09-22-07, 09:59 AM
I have seen this before. It defenitly looks like a weapon sight....

8800reject#2
09-22-07, 10:08 AM
I have the same issues in some games despite the superior AF of the 8800.

Make sure textures are set to High Quality and the Negative LOD Bias is clamped. Make sure you have Anisitropic Filtering enabled in Doom3 as there is no option in the CP profile. I have mainly noticed this in OpenGL apps.

Eltigre88
09-22-07, 12:09 PM
Sorry I could not resist. Hope you get your setting right.

|MaguS|
09-22-07, 03:00 PM
Doesn't transparent AA help that? Its called moire, just don't remember how to fix it. Source games use to suffer from it bad.

nightmare beta
09-22-07, 08:51 PM
use ultra quality textures not hq if you're using an 8800 gtx.

i hope and pray that the problem is that linear mipmap nearest (brilinear) is enabled by doom 3 by default, and you should make it linear mipmap linear (true trilinear).

I would think that having hq af would make that console setting not matter, but i'm not sure.

have you tried different drivers also?

8800reject#2
09-22-07, 09:50 PM
use ultra quality textures not hq if you're using an 8800 gtx.

i hope and pray that the problem is that linear mipmap nearest (brilinear) is enabled by doom 3 by default, and you should make it linear mipmap linear (true trilinear).

I would think that having hq af would make that console setting not matter, but i'm not sure.

have you tried different drivers also?

I was referring to HQ Textures in the CP.

EDIT: Linear Mipmap Linear is default for me, and Forcing Trilinear Mipmaps in the CP doesn't fix it either.

3DBrad
09-22-07, 11:21 PM
I have seen this before. It defenitly looks like a weapon sight....

LOL

As for that, I don't really think anisotropic filtering can help it, as the same type of thing happens in real life at certain angles (chainlink fences, etc.).

jeffmd
09-23-07, 05:33 AM
from the looks of it, it looks like just a normal moire effect due to rendering the image using lines of dots. When a line is as thin as a line of pixels and then slanted, when ever it runs along the line between pixels, it is unable to be represented. AA allows it to not totally disappear, but when the bottom and top pixels weight the "winning" pixel, the winner becomes much more dark, not totally removing the hint of the bright line, but it no longer gets the bright presence it does when its oriented perfectly along a line of pixels.

nightmare beta
09-23-07, 06:28 AM
what about different drivers?

i think we should all send nvidia a bug report so it can be fixed.

it kind of sounds like a desparate attempt to squeeze more performance out of opengl games, since you said it happens mostly in opengl games.

XxDeadlyxX
09-23-07, 07:17 AM
what about different drivers?

i think we should all send nvidia a bug report so it can be fixed.

it kind of sounds like a desparate attempt to squeeze more performance out of opengl games, since you said it happens mostly in opengl games.

Hmm it's been the same with every driver since ever.

The game in the pic btw is Unreal 2... and I remember it being like that when I first played it on my Radeon 8500 in 2003.

Turning on Clamp instead of Allow and High Quality in CP reduces it I *think*... hmmmmmmm.

jolle
09-23-07, 10:19 AM
Its prolly not just texture aliasing so regular AF might not help, and since its not in the alpha channel Transparency AA wont help either.
I think its caused by the grating being normalmapped, its sortof like geometry aliasing but not really since there is no real geometry there.
The only fixes I would guess would be if the normalmap was filtered in advance, or pure supersampling AA since it handles the entire image.

conroejoe
09-23-07, 11:06 AM
LOL

As for that, I don't really think anisotropic filtering can help it, as the same type of thing happens in real life at certain angles (chainlink fences, etc.).

QFT... havent you ever taken a photo and seen a moire in a photo? Its not a setting that will "fix" it.

XDanger
09-23-07, 12:01 PM
LOL

+1
Thats how stuff looks, but I think only when you get 2 lots of fence together one behind the other.

nightmare beta
09-23-07, 02:55 PM
this revived something in my memory that may eliminate this or may not. other than nhancer ss modes.

remember the centroid sampling pack?

we should pay those who made it to make it for 8 series cards.

of course, that may not fix it. but it might.

khellandros66
09-24-07, 11:55 AM
:thumbdwn: It seems to be something to do with Parallax Mapping Occulation, somehow the specular lighting and refraction causes this. I have the same issue now that I have modified STALKER, to run 32bit float PMO. This made the textures look way better an more realistic, but with this drawback. I will grab some screens to show you all what I mean.

~Bobby

nightmare beta
09-24-07, 02:37 PM
:thumbdwn: It seems to be something to do with Parallax Mapping Occulation, somehow the specular lighting and refraction causes this. I have the same issue now that I have modified STALKER, to run 32bit float PMO. This made the textures look way better an more realistic, but with this drawback. I will grab some screens to show you all what I mean.

~Bobby

I thought that fp32 render targets were automatically filtered on the 8 series.

DRen72
09-24-07, 03:30 PM
For what its worth, I see the same effect quite often on TV watching movies with scenes that have similar grates or fences. I always thought that was odd. As far as the problem goes, I've never found a solution. FEAR has this too in the underground areas.