PDA

View Full Version : Check This Out, Advice Needed

six_storm
09-22-07, 11:35 AM
Hello all. As you might have noticed, I'm putting aside some cash in order to upgrade my 7600GT to a 8800GTS. I've been doing some research this week and I think I've decided on something . . . in a way. My 32" LCD only puts out 1366x768 max for the PC input and my gaming rig specs are below. From what I've read, the 320MB version is fine for anybody wanting to play w/high settings at <16x10 and for those on a budget (like me). Besides Crysis, UT3, TF2, Portal and CoD4, it will be a while before another good PC game with groundbreaking technology/engine comes along so I'd have plenty of time to upgrade later. I think I'm going to go for it here soon. But I do have a question.

How does the eVGA step-up program work? I've read eVGA's website but I just wondered if anyone here has done it. I also wonder how long it takes to get your new card . . .

With eVGA's step-up program, it would give me a shot to see how Crysis runs on a 320MB card. It also gives me the chance that if I'm not satisfied with the performance (doubt it) or if I have the extra cash, I could upgrade to a 640MB or a GTX. Depending on the future months, I'm pretty sure that I will step-up to the 640MB if this program isn't shady.

I was just wondering because by this time next week, I could possibly be ordering the 320MB. Any thoughts will help! TIA. :D

jeffmd
09-22-07, 11:48 AM
You read wrong, low memory is low memory. Its like saying you only need 64 megs for windows cause your only going to be using 1024x768. Your programs don't care, they still need lots of memory. Ditto for games, they don't care what your resolution is, if your looking in a direction that needs 500 megs of textures loaded, it needs 500 megs of ram. The video buffer size changes with resolution, but that is still a very small amount of the pool of video ram.

six_storm
09-22-07, 11:57 AM
You read wrong, low memory is low memory. Its like saying you only need 64 megs for windows cause your only going to be using 1024x768. Your programs don't care, they still need lots of memory. Ditto for games, they don't care what your resolution is, if your looking in a direction that needs 500 megs of textures loaded, it needs 500 megs of ram. The video buffer size changes with resolution, but that is still a very small amount of the pool of video ram.

I understand that programs/games need lots of memory, but remember I'm not running at 1920x1080 full AA and AF. I'm not a hardcore graphics wh0re (lol) and I've always stayed a few steps down from the best of the best hardware wise. AA and AF don't really matter that much to me really, I usually leave those on lower settings just to get a better frame rate. As long as I can run Crysis and the other games mentioned above at 1366x768, I'll be satisfied. Like I said, there won't be another awesome PC game to come out until next summer.

Revs
09-22-07, 12:04 PM
Crysis in particular seems to need a shwat load of RAM. I'd go for a second hand GTX over a new GTS any day. If not, deffo get the 640 over the 320. It don't make much of a difference on some games but alot really need that extra 320mb.

six_storm
09-22-07, 01:33 PM
Now that I've checked my bank account, I'm going to have to hit up the 320MB in the next month. But like I said, the step-up program will allow me to get a better card (aka Christmas present from the family :D ). Maybe I can step up to a GTX by then. ;)

SlieTheSecond
09-22-07, 03:30 PM
I never used the step up program. But I believe there is a time limit to how long you can step up.

Send back your card and pay the difference I think is how it works.

six_storm
09-22-07, 03:34 PM
You have 90 days from the time you purchase the card to swap it out with eVGA. I'm on a budget so I'm getting the 320MB for right now. Then when Christmas comes along and if I need to, I'll just get it for a "present" from Santa :D

jeffmd
09-22-07, 04:52 PM
Six, you seem to be missing the grasp of the situation. It dosnt matter..what resolution..or what effects you display, it is entirely out of the equation. That stuff effects your frame buffer, but thats like..16 megabytes of your video memory pool. A texture remains the same size regardless of anything. If I load 500 megs in for a scene, you load 500 megs in for a scene. Sure I can add more post process effects, and have bigger AA (which increases the frame buffer by a small amount so it can render the bigger image ) but it all uses the same textures.

six_storm
09-23-07, 12:37 AM
Six, you seem to be missing the grasp of the situation. It dosnt matter..what resolution..or what effects you display, it is entirely out of the equation. That stuff effects your frame buffer, but thats like..16 megabytes of your video memory pool. A texture remains the same size regardless of anything. If I load 500 megs in for a scene, you load 500 megs in for a scene. Sure I can add more post process effects, and have bigger AA (which increases the frame buffer by a small amount so it can render the bigger image ) but it all uses the same textures.

Trust me when I say that I understand lol. My budget is set for a 320MB and it's not going to bother me if Crysis doesn't run on Very High settings +full AA and AF @ 19x10. As long as I can get amazing visuals with great performance, I'm sold. There's always room to "step up"! Get it?

$n][pErMan
09-23-07, 01:07 AM
Trust me when I say that I understand lol. My budget is set for a 320MB and it's not going to bother me if Crysis doesn't run on Very High settings +full AA and AF @ 19x10. As long as I can get amazing visuals with great performance, I'm sold. There's always room to "step up"! Get it?
Why not wait longer and save money for a 640mb version? It will last you MUCH longer and you will probably be very impressed with it. Im sure the 320mb version is a good card too... im just not sure you will be as happy with it as you think you will be when Crysis comes out... But hey.. its not my PC so I guess I dont care either way.. good luck on your choice :)

six_storm
09-23-07, 07:44 AM
[pErMan']Why not wait longer and save money for a 640mb version? It will last you MUCH longer and you will probably be very impressed with it. Im sure the 320mb version is a good card too... im just not sure you will be as happy with it as you think you will be when Crysis comes out... But hey.. its not my PC so I guess I dont care either way.. good luck on your choice :)

Money is the key here lol. I've got a lot of other things in life that require most of the income I receive like future marriage, gas money, tuition, etc . . . so I'm doing pretty good to be able just to get a new GFX card. When I made this thread yesterday, I apparently had not balanced my checkbook and I'm a little lower than I thought.

I think what a lot of people on here are misunderstanding is that I can participate in the "Step-Up Program" with eVGA and let someone else pay the difference come Christmas time (upgrade to the 640MB or even a GTX). How does that not sound like the thing to do? I understand that the 320MB isn't much when it comes to the hardcore PC enthusiast, but that's not me. If I'm not satisfied with the 320MB, then I'll just have to tough it out until I can step up. No biggie.

Tr1cK
09-23-07, 07:55 AM
I think it's a great idea Six. The 320 should drive that TV just fine.

avirox
09-23-07, 07:57 AM
Indeed, at that resolution the 320mb will rip through 90% of games @ high. I have a GTS320 and play bioshock, tf2, etqw, fear, moh:a et al at 1680x1050 on high, 16xAF and sometimes AA (though with AA the 640 might be a bit faster).
There are some games and mods however which you will need to lower the texture detail to medium on. Examples of these are (so far) Crysis, GRAW, and pretty much any game running with AA over 16x10 res. For Crysis I don't even think the 640s will be able to run the game w/ playable framerates at high texture detail, so I don't see much of a reason to upgrade to the 640 just for that game..
Like you already stated, get the 320 from eVGA and if you're not satisfied then just step up. I would not go for the 640 though unless you plan on running games at ungodly high settings, for which ALL gts cards are showing wear at in the newest titles..

six_storm
09-23-07, 08:12 AM
Thank you trick and avirox, someone finally read my posts and agree with me! :D

six_storm
09-26-07, 10:15 AM
I got some bad news guys. Looks like my money situation won't let me get a 8800GTS for a little while. Truth be told, I'm traveling almost 200 miles a day and gas prices aren't helping. Also, in the past week, I've hit a deer and an old man in a SUV!!! (Both not my fault thank the Lord!) Gotta drop the car off today for repairs and go get a rental.

SO, I've still got a little bit and I still want to upgrade, even if it's just to jump up to the 8-series. I know most here will say "Wait and save!" but if I did, I wouldn't be ready until after Christmas and by then, the future wifey will cut my spending for good (if you know what I mean). Looks like I'm going to settle for a 8600GTS. Here's what I've been looking at:

eVGA 8600GTS Superclocked - $154.99 After MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130086

If my 7600GT can play any game I currently have on my 32" LCD, I'm sure the 8600GTS will be a nice upgrade. Life is starting to take over and it sucks in a way. But hey, by the time I get married and get that rolling, it will be time to build a whole new rig.

Tr1cK
09-26-07, 10:25 AM
Why don't you wait until the supposed new midrange cards come in November?

six_storm
09-26-07, 11:17 AM
Why don't you wait until the supposed new midrange cards come in November?

You mean the 8700? It's supposed to be over the $200 mark from what I've read around the net. I've pretty much $200 to spend period and the closer we get to Christmas, the more my fiancee will wanna grab that $200 and spend it on something else!!!!

six_storm
09-26-07, 11:26 AM
Ok, I've been looking around [H] and I read a post or two from users that have upgraded from a 7600GT to a 8600GTS, saying it was a waste and how they got the same performance. WTF? Should I just get a higher 7-series card?

Tr1cK
09-26-07, 12:30 PM
If you could offload the 7600 for a decent price and get a 7950GT (not GX2), perhaps.

I would just be patient if I were you. :)
If you don't need the extra performance right now, then why get it?
You know everything will be cheaper when you do really need to upgrade.

I would sell you my GTS for a good price, but I don't put it to use enough as it is to warrant an upgrade yet.

six_storm
09-26-07, 02:49 PM
I've been looking at some prices around the net and seeing how they perform. I really want a 8800GTS 320MB, but if all these rumors about a new mid-range NV card coming out in November are true, then I wouldn't mind waiting for that. Just hope that it's around $200.