PDA

View Full Version : Ntune says 8800gtx plays fine at 102c, I say BS

Pages : [1] 2

jeffmd
09-22-07, 03:38 PM
After coming out of a game of conflict in war, I saw ntune reporting my 8800gtx reaching 102c. This card dosnt crash or stutter or anything, everything was smooth as silk. This leads me to believe that the temp this thing is reading is just way to high. Is it reading the wrong sensor or am I supposed to tweak it some how to automaticly adjust to the correct temp?

SOFTFiZ
09-22-07, 04:01 PM
I'd suggest installing a case fan if you havn't already.

jeffmd
09-22-07, 04:22 PM
Soft, the computer in question.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1362829&postcount=746

m3dude
09-22-07, 05:04 PM
lol case of death. jesus does any air get in or out of that thing? no wonder ur temps are so high, the heat from the gpu is just being exhausted back onto itself in an endless cycle. u could probably cook a steak in that oven

jeffmd
09-22-07, 05:42 PM
m3dude.. huh? are you blind? Aside from the lower chamber (psu and hard drive) having its own secluded intake and outake fans, the main chamber has one intake fan, and theres one exhaust fan in the back and the cpu heatsink is exhausting through the port in the top of the case. All fans are 120mm. Also all cables are rounded, no where near enough of them to hamper air flow at all. Also with the one HD at the bottom and one dvd drive at the very top, the entire front is open.

[EOCF] Tim
09-22-07, 05:57 PM
I say no it's not accurate. What does Rivatuner say?

Try looping 3DMark/intense game while running the Rivatuner monitor in the background.

Q
09-22-07, 06:07 PM
m3dude.. huh? are you blind? Aside from the lower chamber (psu and hard drive) having its own secluded intake and outake fans, the main chamber has one intake fan, and theres one exhaust fan in the back and the cpu heatsink is exhausting through the port in the top of the case. All fans are 120mm. Also all cables are rounded, no where near enough of them to hamper air flow at all. Also with the one HD at the bottom and one dvd drive at the very top, the entire front is open.

Yeah, but the localized air flow for the card is lacking. I was using that case as my main rig, and I had to put another 120mm fan right UNDER the GTX to get decent temps. Mine would get up to 90C or so before the fan.

Edit: Where I crammed the fan... using your picture. And literally, it was wedged against the GTX (not hurting it...but kinda leaning...) I also had that middle hard drive cage removed...my system looked a lot like yours here.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=28008&stc=1&d=1190498949

Eliminator
09-22-07, 06:36 PM
yea thats normal to some extent... i have decent ventilation in my case and i would reach 99*C with fan on default speed of 60% and clocks of 600/1950... with fan at 100% i would reach 85*C but it would be too loud and had to keep switching manually back and forth..... so i went with a Thermalright HR-03 Plus and a 92mm fan... now the temps never pass 75*C and its even more silent than the stock HSF at 60% and now i dont have to tinker with fan speed anymore in rivatuner

m3dude
09-22-07, 06:36 PM
that case is an oven dude...

jeffmd
09-22-07, 06:52 PM
Dude, my other temps are fine, not sure why yours apparently turned into a cooking utility, but if anything, mine turns my room into an oven, so obviously heat escaping is not an issue. It looks like I may need to think up of a way to better get fresh air to the video card though, using one of my silent nexus fans on it might be good but I would like to take it a step further and duct air, perhaps from the front, to the card. Wish we could reverse the heatsink fan, atleast that would pull in cool air, and then I could just bump my exhaust fan to medium to handle the extra heat.

m3dude
09-22-07, 07:10 PM
mine? i dont have that case, i would never buy that case.

DeusGear
09-22-07, 08:05 PM
Jesus christ your wires are a mess!

ATOJAR
09-22-07, 08:25 PM
Jesus christ your wires are a mess!

lol .....

Also if i was you i would turn your cpu cooler around so that the 120mm fan sucks the warm air onto the exhaust fan and straigh out of your case(like it supposed to)

Maby a better ventilated case would help alot, as said it looks like its cooking all your hardware!

nightmare beta
09-22-07, 08:44 PM
move everything to a better case, if it's not too much hassle.

my parents pc's case is a p180 and you shouldn't install the 2 fans at the lowest part of the case.

it's necessary to have the middle fan to cool your vid card, and the top and rear should be exhaust or maybe just the rear should be exhaust and the top should be intake.

use higher cfm fans as well, the antec supplied ones don't move much air.

jeffmd
09-23-07, 05:19 AM
lol .....

Also if i was you i would turn your cpu cooler around so that the 120mm fan sucks the warm air onto the exhaust fan and straigh out of your case(like it supposed to)

Maby a better ventilated case would help alot, as said it looks like its cooking all your hardware!

What? Ok, its obvious you all completely suck at cooling your cases, so quit commenting about mine. The cpu fan is sucking air through the heatsink and blowing it out the top vent already. The cpu temps are fine, it works beautifully. The wires are messy, but thats cause the distance between the psu at the bottom and where the wires need to connect to yields no slack for me to move then to the side or in back (The cpu power cable is real tight).

[EOCF] Tim
09-23-07, 07:20 AM
USE RIVATUNER and post back.

jeffmd
09-23-07, 07:38 AM
sorry tim, couldnt get back to the desktop till this morning. I was pretty sure they both said the same temp, but didn't wanna say untill I was %100 sure. Unfortunately both ntune and rivatuner (as far as its green graph hardware monitoring widow says) agree.

m3dude
09-23-07, 11:54 AM
lol we suck at cooling our cases but ur the one keeping all ur components in a black box of death and posting about temperatures above 100 c. funny indeed

jeffmd
09-23-07, 12:15 PM
The cards sensor is off by 20-25 degrees or so (or atleast the bios calibration is). I just booted up cold after being off for a couple hours, and immediate temps were 34c mobo, 37c cpu, and 58c GPU.

m3dude, right, black box of death.. all the hype over the p180 is just bunk. Good day sir.

balex99
09-23-07, 12:56 PM
I had that case also and the temps were fine. I think you temps are right though. High 50's low 60's are the lowest I have ever seen on my GTX. I would try to clean up the wiring so that front 120 can get some fresh air to the GTX. Also use Rivatuner to crank up the gpu fan to 100% and see what that does for ya.(your fan should already be at 100% with those temps)

Just looked at your pic again and you might want to remove that expansion card cover right below the GTX and let some more heat out. Can you move that NIC card(or whatever) that is right below the GTX? That may help you card breathe a bit better.

Last thing you may want to try is remove HS and replay AS5 on the core.

m3dude
09-23-07, 01:11 PM
The cards sensor is off by 20-25 degrees or so (or atleast the bios calibration is). I just booted up cold after being off for a couple hours, and immediate temps were 34c mobo, 37c cpu, and 58c GPU.

m3dude, right, black box of death.. all the hype over the p180 is just bunk. Good day sir.

well of course ur temps will be low when the gpu hasnt had any chance to generate heat. your sensors arent off.

Q
09-23-07, 01:13 PM
What? Ok, its obvious you all completely suck at cooling your cases, so quit commenting about mine. The cpu fan is sucking air through the heatsink and blowing it out the top vent already. The cpu temps are fine, it works beautifully. The wires are messy, but thats cause the distance between the psu at the bottom and where the wires need to connect to yields no slack for me to move then to the side or in back (The cpu power cable is real tight).

I had the EXACT same set up as you, just my CPU fan exausted straight back instead of straight up. I had the three Antec tricools in there original locations and turned to Medium. The middle HD cage area I had a 120MM Panaflo on a rheostat turned nearly all the way up.

My GTX STILL roasted until I put a fan right under it. It takes all of 5 minutes to turn off your machine, put a fan there, and then boot back up. Trust me on this one.

Again, you would think with all the fans you have in there that the airflow would be good... but its just not so. This case does a decent job at keeping the bottom hard drives cool (if you are using the tricool like I see you are), and a GREAT job at cooling the CPU. However, the configuration provides for a bit of a vacuum around the 8800GTX.

Q
09-23-07, 01:17 PM
I'm a horrible artist... but I hope this helps....
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=28019&stc=1&d=1190567608

You only have one intake in the main compartment, and that cool air is going to be sucked straight to the top by those three 120MM fans. I would be very little cold air is getting to the card. And, its not even getting to the body of the card, probably only the blower intake. Why does this matter?

Put you hand directly under the GTX after playing a game. It is very, very hot. That hot air underneath the card has no where to go. It either gets recirculated over and over again, or gets sucked through the exhaust fan of the card and contributes to the overheating.

If you put a fan angled towards the back and upwards, it will push that hot air up into the very well ventilated part of the case.

CaptNKILL
09-23-07, 02:07 PM
My CPU is very cool in the same case, but my 8800GTX ran pretty hot the last time I checked the temps.

Its too bad they don't make make those little pci slot exhaust fans with an INTAKE fan to put cool air directly into the video card.

I have a few of those things laying around but I think it'd probably work against the GPU fan.

EDIT: SWEET! They do make them!
http://www.jab-tech.com/Antec-Vcool-Expansion-slot-VGA-cooler-pr-3044.html

Anyone ever used one?

nightmare beta
09-23-07, 03:04 PM
My parents case is a p180 and i think it's got to be the most overrated case ever.

there's superior sunbeam cases that are like 1/2 the price. use panaflo ultra speed fans everywhere you can put a fan in it, and rev gpu fan to 100% and your gpu should never go above 55 C absolute max at full load.

i don't see anything good about the p180 b. It's poorly laid out, has fans in stupid places, it's not toolless, it's not even aluminum, it's heavy and it's way over priced. the only good thing about it is the blu leds.