PDA

View Full Version : PowerDVD 7 and blue screens.

ant
09-22-07, 07:09 PM
Hello,

I am having blue screens in Windows XP Pro. SP2 (all updates) when playing back DVDs (no specific time lengths, doesn't matter new or old DVDs, etc.) with PowerDVD v7. I do not have this problem in other players like Media Player Classic v6.4.9.1 (from K-Lite Codec Full v3.4.5), VideoLAN Client Media Player v0.8.6c, WinDVD 7, etc. I am using single display mode (no cloning, disabled secondary monitor, etc.). I am currently using the latest beta driver too and not overclocking anything.

I ran WinDbg to read my memory dump to analyze: http://pastebin.ca/707501 in case if it helps. It seems like a video driver problem from both the memory dump and blue screen (nvdisp). My computer specifications/setups can be found here: http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt (primary gaming box).

Any ideas? Thank you in advance. :)

DarkOneX
09-22-07, 07:17 PM
Ya, quit using it. I had the same issue when I switched to Vista and I just quit using it and use Media Player Classic solely now, it ownz!

ant
09-22-07, 07:43 PM
Ya, quit using it. I had the same issue when I switched to Vista and I just quit using it and use Media Player Classic solely now, it ownz!You had the same blue screens like mine?

Doesn't PowerDVD have much superior image and audio than other players like MPC?

walterman
09-22-07, 08:14 PM
PowerDVD 7.x could use nVidia purevideo. (check Video tab -> hw accel checkbox)

I've some blue screens yet with h264 files, but mpeg2 (dvd) works flawlessly.

The other players in your system, will use the rest of directshow filters, but if you've hw accel enabled in pdvd, it will use purevideo.

Use a tool like graphedit to know what filters is using your system to render each sort of file.

I don't like nVidia drivers lately, cause they're focusing on vista only lately, & hw accel for XP is a bit buggy lately.

About hw vs sw decoding, just check the IQ scores here: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/video-playback2_4.html#sect2

A lot of people complains about hw decoding, but it's far away better than sw decoding.

ant
09-22-07, 08:25 PM
PowerDVD 7.x could use nVidia purevideo. (check Video tab -> hw accel checkbox)

I've some blue screens yet with h264 files, but mpeg2 (dvd) works flawlessly.

The other players in your system, will use the rest of directshow filters, but if you've hw accel enabled in pdvd, it will use purevideo.

Use a tool like graphedit to know what filters is using your system to render each sort of file.

I don't like nVidia drivers lately, cause they're focusing on vista only lately, & hw accel for XP is a bit buggy lately.

About hw vs sw decoding, just check the IQ scores here: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/video-playback2_4.html#sect2

A lot of people complains about hw decoding, but it's far away better than sw decoding.Oooh, good call on hardware acceleration in PowerDVD. I just disabled it, but I don't feel like crashing my Windows right now. I will try it during dinner since I have to wait for the crash to happen.

Is there a way to use PureVideo in my other players beside WinDVD and PowerDVD? The last time I remember, PureVideo was not free.

I agree that the recent drivers are crap. I miss the old 8x.xx series (can't use it due to my newer video card). Others and I also have TV out overlay problems (wrong aspect ratio). NVIDIA still hasn't fix that crap. :(

walterman
09-22-07, 08:34 PM
The trick is to use cyberlink decoder for mpeg2 or h264/avc. If your directshow filters default to cyberlink filters, then, you'll be using hw accel too (if enabled).

And yes, i miss them too, i remember that i was very happy with old drivers & everything working fine on my G71, but then, G80 (& Vista) arrived ....

Oooh, good call on hardware acceleration in PowerDVD. I just disabled it, but I don't feel like crashing my Windows right now. I will try it during dinner since I have to wait for the crash to happen.

Is there a way to use PureVideo in my other players beside WinDVD and PowerDVD? The last time I remember, PureVideo was not free.

I agree that the recent drivers are crap. I miss the old 8x.xx series (can't use it due to my newer video card). Others and I also have TV out overlay problems (wrong aspect ratio). NVIDIA still hasn't fix that crap. :(

ant
09-22-07, 08:37 PM
The trick is to use cyberlink decoder for mpeg2 or h264/avc. If your directshow filters default to cyberlink filters, then, you'll be using hw accel too (if enabled).

And yes, i miss them too, i remember that i was very happy with old drivers & everything working fine on my G71, but then, G80 (& Vista) arrived ....Wait, my DVB Viewer (digital TV program) uses CyberLink PowerDVD 7 decoder/codec and I *NEVER* had blue screens. IIRC, the video format saved is MPEG-2 as well. Hmm! And that was with enabled hardware since I just turned it off for later testing. Argh, what the heck? :(

walterman
09-22-07, 10:43 PM
I use it too with my dvb-s2 card for real time h264 ripping with preview & low cpu usage.

Check if your memory timings are working fine. I rememer that i had more blue screens when i had more tight timings.

Wait, my DVB Viewer (digital TV program) uses CyberLink PowerDVD 7 decoder/codec and I *NEVER* had blue screens. IIRC, the video format saved is MPEG-2 as well. Hmm! And that was with enabled hardware since I just turned it off for later testing. Argh, what the heck? :(

ant
09-22-07, 10:49 PM
I use it too with my dvb-s2 card for real time h264 ripping with preview & low cpu usage.

Check if your memory timings are working fine. I rememer that i had more blue screens when i had more tight timings.I doubt it is memory timings because I would have this problem in other places like games. Those are way more intensive. In CMOS, I am using the defaults. Again, I don't OC.

walterman
09-22-07, 11:18 PM
I doubt it is memory timings because I would have this problem in other places like games. Those are way more intensive. In CMOS, I am using the defaults. Again, I don't OC.

I had np with games, but some blue screens with hw decoding due to tight timings. Don't ask my why, but relaxing the memory timings helped me.

It was just a tip. Maybe you could try it, just to discard it. Cause, i also thought that my memory was working flawlessly. I was surprised too with the results. (one of those weird nForce bugs).

ant
09-22-07, 11:29 PM
I had np with games, but some blue screens with hw decoding due to tight timings. Don't ask my why, but relaxing the memory timings helped me.

It was just a tip. Maybe you could try it, just to discard it. Cause, i also thought that my memory was working flawlessly. I was surprised too with the results. (one of those weird nForce bugs).OK, I will do as the last thing to try if I get desperate. What settings do I change? I am not familiar with these hardware settings.

I am going to try PowerDVD now while eating dinner. Let's see if disabled hardware accelerate still BSoD. :)

ant
09-23-07, 12:26 AM
Ooh, so far no crash after an hour. I will run it overnight when I sleep to test more.

ant
09-23-07, 05:41 PM
I tried again for about 30 minutes, and no problems there. I think the workaround works I will follow-up if it continues.

I still nothing from CyberLink either (probably because of weekend). If anyone know how to fix this with video accererlation (PureVideo), then please feel free to post a reply.