PDA

View Full Version : Best watercooling solution u can buy!

FearMeAll
09-22-07, 07:31 PM
I am a complete novice to watercooling but I am very careful and have a damn good bit of technical expertise in pc's. I build them purely as a hobby and want to have more fun overclocking for the hell of it.
As it stands now I have my q6700 running at 3.33ghz at 1333FSB and am testing the stability of this rig now running two instances of ORTHOS maxing out all four cores in the task manager. It is about to fry the damn thing. As I type I see my temps getting to be 80Celcius with the case off. I do not want to run this hot anymore when maxing out 4 cores. Although it appears somehow to be stable..hell I'm typing this now on as ORTHOS sends my temps through the roof.
Damn just hit 83 celcius how the hell is this thing not crashing..kinda interesting really.
Anyways I want to watercool this thing as the ridiculous fan I have right now is not cutting it. I have a pretty fat budget for this. I'm fine with spending up to $1000 dollars or more for the most kickass looking best reviewed watercooling case setup money can buy. I've never had watercooling before but I want to best.
If you experts out there were willing to go with that kind of budget what watercooling setup would you buy?
I'm tired of really loud fans and temps still through the roof. Damn just checked again hit 85 degrees celcius. yikes. Help me out here
guys..lol. :D
edit..I know I am not being economical but I'm just doing this for fun.

FearMeAll
09-22-07, 08:10 PM
is this good here.. http://www.xoxide.com/koolance-pc4-1025bk-1kw-case.html just check out xoxide.com and see which case you would buy if you were me.
I need one that is easiest to deal with out of the box. Not really concerned with cooling the video card as I upgrade those things too often. Just keeping this fiery quad core cool at ridiculous clocks is all I want.
BTW I'm still stable with 2 instances of orthos staying at 82C to 85C.. yeesh.

buffbiff21
09-22-07, 08:15 PM
I suggest doing the case cutting yourself.

Radiator: Thermochill PA120.3
Pump: Iwaki RD30
CPU block: Swiftech Apogee GTX

You'll also need tubing, clamps, barbs, distilled water, additives (pentosin)

www.petrastechshop.com is the best place to buy stuff.

Xion X2
09-22-07, 09:00 PM
I suggest doing the case cutting yourself.

Radiator: Thermochill PA120.3
Pump: Iwaki RD30
CPU block: Swiftech Apogee GTX

You'll also need tubing, clamps, barbs, distilled water, additives (pentosin)

www.petrastechshop.com is the best place to buy stuff.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif

If you don't want to cut the case yourself, get one from www.performance-pcs.com as they will cut it for you to fit the size rad you put in it.

A 120.3 may be overkill for just cooling your CPU, but it will allow for a future-proof H20 system.

FearMeAll
09-22-07, 09:29 PM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif

If you don't want to cut the case yourself, get one from www.performance-pcs.com as they will cut it for you to fit the size rad you put in it.

A 120.3 may be overkill for just cooling your CPU, but it will allow for a future-proof H20 system.
I will look into that..I's like a case as professionally done as possible.
As it stands right now I am still hot and stable at 3.33ghz and 1333FSB.
Orthos ran for 2 hours and I just ran the hell out of lost planet which uses all four cores and everything seems very stable. For now my case stays off as my rig sits in a big walk in closet anyway.
Gonna let orthos run all night tonight while I sleep and I will see if I still have a rig in the morning. :rolleyes:
oohh what about his case! http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=262&products_id=21712

Xion X2
09-22-07, 09:39 PM
I wouldn't let Orthos run overnight if you're already running 83C. That's about 20C hotter than the maximum temps recommended for that CPU for daily use.

FearMeAll
09-22-07, 10:10 PM
I wouldn't let Orthos run overnight if you're already running 83C. That's about 20C hotter than the maximum temps recommended for that CPU for daily use.
yeesh really? My rig doesn't seem to want to crash..I dunno..I need water cooling that's for sure.
I've never overclocked where it has been this hot and still stable..
I believe before I took my case off I was getting hotter that this and wondering why I was crashing every now and again. I wasn't monitoring the temps DURING insane load. I just figured it was some FSB instability. ya know the usual stuff. I'm will to bet I was hitting 90C+ to make it crash.
Scares the hell out of me now that I think about it.
I have some aftermarket air cooler that I believe now to suck. Even with air I've been hearing of folks getting much lower temps than me. My fan must just suck.
My voltage isn't even 1.35...and all other voltages are at default.
I MAY try another air cooler and if that yields me anything better till I can decide and read up how to do the water cooling properly.

jeffmd
09-23-07, 04:43 AM
Any one seen any solutions that work by mounting the radiator outside? I always thought this was the "perfect" solution. :)

FearMeAll
09-23-07, 07:00 AM
Any one seen any solutions that work by mounting the radiator outside? I always thought this was the "perfect" solution. :)
you are right..makes sense but I would like it all to be one unit. ya know..for looks.
BTW i did run ORTHOS all night..ran 8 hours no errors. Just hot. I must have a death wish. :o
I kept my clest door open all night though. that was the difference. Brought the temps down to a high of 73C all night.
The cpu only gets so hot when using all four cores and so far the only game I have that does that is lost planet.
I think since I'm stable I'm gonna hold off on new cooling till the end of this year then go ridiculous.

FearMeAll
09-23-07, 10:41 AM
darnit. I went ahead and brought my clocks back to a more modest 3ghz..I'm just not going to notice a performance difference and I run soooo much cooler this way. I don't know if there is a game out that needs that much cpu power anyways.

wolfgar
09-23-07, 11:44 AM
have you looked at CoolIt solutions?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=coolit&x=0&y=0

built for novice, but able to beat the big boys.

the bigger unit can cool about anything you could throw at it.

But it not expandable. (dual CPU, video ,... )

Dr.Nick
09-23-07, 12:53 PM
You could always just get a kickass hsf and save yourself the trouble. At 3.23GHz I have never broken 68c with a thermalright ultra 120e and a very quiet 1200rpm scythe fan. Unless of course you want to go water no matter what:)

FearMeAll
09-23-07, 03:18 PM
You could always just get a kickass hsf and save yourself the trouble. At 3.23GHz I have never broken 68c with a thermalright ultra 120e and a very quiet 1200rpm scythe fan. Unless of course you want to go water no matter what:)
well my problem is that my pc stays in the closet. So if it is air cooling it's eventually going to get hotter and hotter no matter what if the clocks are too high. I was hoping it would make a difference with water cooling, but perhaps extreme overclocking shouldn't happen for me until I move out of this apartment.
I plan on a big ass cool basement that will be very pc friendly. I may get extravagant then.
I think I will just "suffer" with 3ghz on four cores for the meantime. As it stands I can't tell you that I ever noticed any difference at all in any of my game's framerate with the OC so high. That's all this pc does is games. At least at 3ghz it can stay in the closet with the fan on low and the case all the way on and run ORTHOS for 4 hours and never ever go above 62C.
as always with everyone here thanks for all your advice. :)

Xion X2
09-23-07, 03:41 PM
well my problem is that my pc stays in the closet. So if it is air cooling it's eventually going to get hotter and hotter no matter what if the clocks are too high. I was hoping it would make a difference with water cooling

Well just keep in mind that water abides by the same philosophy. Ambient air is used to keep your radiator cool (which in turn cools the water down), so if your PC is in a closet, then the ambient air is going to get warmer and warmer. Water doesn't eliminate heat; it's just a more effective way to transfer it out of your case.

FearMeAll
09-23-07, 03:46 PM
Well just keep in mind that water abides by the same philosophy. Ambient air is used to keep your radiator cool (which in turn cools the water down), so if your PC is in a closet, then the ambient air is going to get warmer and warmer. Water doesn't eliminate heat; it's just a more effective way to transfer it out of your case.
that's what I needed to know. I can't really cool till I move or stick an ac unit in my closet. :banghead: