PDA

View Full Version : 8800 GTX a "mid-range GPU"!?!?!?!?

Maverickman
09-22-07, 09:44 PM
I just saw a copy of PC Gamer the other day and was astounded to see that their "mid-range" system consisted of a Core2 E6700 and an 8800 GTX! The "dream system" consisted of a Core2 Quad Q6800 and two 8800 Ultras in SLI. I can understand the dream system, but a system with an 8800 GTX is called mid-range? Last time I checked, the only GPU out there that's faster than that 8800 GTX is the 8800 Ultra. Maybe a better mid-range card would be an 8600 GTX or 7950 GT for DX9. Even that Core2 E6700 is by no means mid-range. It's not the fastest CPU out there, but it's certainly a CPU any gamer except the most demanding would love to have! Funny that the "entry-level system" consisted of an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ and a 7600GS. What a difference between that system and the mid-range system!!!

$n][pErMan
09-22-07, 10:00 PM
lol... what retards. Ultra is laughable for the price (while a nice card hardly worth the extra $$$)... GTX is by far one of the best cards out and is by no means mid range (expecially with an overclock). The E6700 I might be able to accept as mid range with Quads becoming more common and usefull but its no slouch by any means.

ChaoticNick
09-23-07, 12:37 AM
Yea, the PC Gamer hardware section usually fails. Only a few months ago they were still recommending single core, Socket 939 systems :thumbdwn:

jeffmd
09-23-07, 04:40 AM
I would prolly call it "mid range" for the future of DX10. I think games like crysis, assasins creede, UT3, and bioshock are only the start and that dx10 games after it will only need more power. IMO mid range means running these games and future at common resolutions of 1440x and 1650x, and anything that can only run 1024x and 800x are considered "low end".

Maverickman
09-23-07, 08:50 AM
Well even that 8800 Ultra will be mid-range within a year. From what I've seen, the current crop of DX10 cards will struggle tremendously when playing the upcoming group of DX10 games like Crysis with the settings near max. Forget about real mid-range cards like the 8600 GTX or HD2600XT. Still, the 8800 GTX is NOT a mid-range card today. I would still call it an enthusiast card.

jeffmd
09-23-07, 09:01 AM
mave, well crysis actually plays great on the ultra unless you enable their experimental high end shaders. Since no video hardware can currently run those shaders, theres no telling if and when they can be used, so I would NOT call them the "high" settings, more like experimental setting. Theres no guaranteed the next gen cards can run them either. Writing shaders with amazing looking visuals is not hard.. writing ones that can run in real time on hardware that exist is.

nightmare beta
09-23-07, 01:52 PM
mave, well crysis actually plays great on the ultra unless you enable their experimental high end shaders. Since no video hardware can currently run those shaders, theres no telling if and when they can be used, so I would NOT call them the "high" settings, more like experimental setting. Theres no guaranteed the next gen cards can run them either. Writing shaders with amazing looking visuals is not hard.. writing ones that can run in real time on hardware that exist is.

they have no business removing the experimental high-end shaders.

it's things like this that make me want to die.

i'm sick of others making my choices.

jeffmd
09-23-07, 02:15 PM
Did they remove them? afaik they are only disabled and can be enabled with config file editing. It might be nice to be able to enable them via console command, but IMO they have no business being in the config panel as a selectable high setting if no cards can run it yet.