PDA

View Full Version : BSOD after going from 2 to 4Gb nVidia SLI RAM

Revs
09-23-07, 05:16 AM
After playing Crysis MP Demo and seeing that it used ALL my RAM up, I thought it might be an idea to get a couple more gigs. I got some more of the same stuff, nVidia SLI DDR2 800, shoved it in and booted up. First I went in to the BIOS to see if all was well and the first this I noticed is that I no longer had the option to Enable the SLI memory mode, but everything else looked fine, so I booted in to Vista.

Everything was fine until I loaded Crysis. It got to the menu fine, but it BSOD'd while loading the level. I let it do it's memory dump thing and restarted. This time I did a load test on the CPU using Orthos and a memory test using Sandra, all was well. So loaded Crysis again.

This time it worked fine. I played for an hour or two with no problems (the RAM made no difference to the games performance BTW). I went back to the desktop and it BSOD'd on me again after about 5 mins....Hmmm....Bugger!

Basically, what i'm aaksing ya is, should I still have had the option to 'Enable' SLI mode it the BIOS, and should going to 4Gb of RAM effect my stability using the same clocks. I don't want to have to start messing them if I can avoid it. Could it be the voltages. Full details in sig.

Thanks in advance for any help on this :D

[EOCF] Tim
09-23-07, 06:19 AM
Yea it could definitely affect the stability, as in your overclock will decrease.

Try relaxing the timings to 5-5-5-15-2T and see what happens. 2.3v is already at the max I'd say.

Don't know about SLI memory option, but there is absolutely no need for that.

Run Memtest86+ off a bootable CD and see what it gives after running it for about an hour. Any errors = bad. Even if it's one error.

Revs
09-23-07, 06:32 AM
Cheers. The voltage is the suggested voltage from OCZ but i'll loosen the timings a little as you said and see how it goes.

EDIT: I'm gonna try this hotfix 1st n see how it goes http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777

EDIT 2: I installed the hotfix, reinstalled the RAM and it BSOD'd on boot. So I went back in to the BIOS and set the timings to 'Auto' ( the Striker is pretty damn good with it's auto settings ). It set it to 5-6-6-16 2t, which is a little looser than I wanted, but it's fine now. I might have a go at tightening them up a bit later.

Revs
09-23-07, 07:30 AM
With teh new timings i've lost 900mb of memory bandwidth though :(

Gone from 7700 to 6800mbps

Fats_43
09-23-07, 08:11 AM
With teh new timings i've lost 900mb of memory bandwidth though :(

Gone from 7700 to 6800mbps

But gained an extra 2gb ram :)

HeavyH20
09-23-07, 09:27 AM
CPU can't really use that bandwidth, anyway. So, you really lose nothing but some potential. At 1680 FSB, 900 MHz on the RAM is more than enough.

Revs
09-23-07, 10:35 AM
But gained an extra 2gb ram :)

Well actually, no. Because i'm on Vista x86 i'm only showing 2.8Gb usable. But it's there if I need the extra 800mb and if I go 64bit it'll show the whole 4Gb. Cheers for the info anyhow. I'm gonna have a play soon and see how much I can get the timings down. Hopefully I can get the 1T back. :o

[EOCF] Tim
09-23-07, 12:56 PM
1T with 4 sticks of ram is definitely not going to happen, you can try all you want but it's not going to work.

Try 5-5-5-15-2T first, then 5-4-4, slowly tightening. :)

What's the divider your running? Or synced?

Revs
09-23-07, 02:27 PM
Tim']1T with 4 sticks of ram is definitely not going to happen, you can try all you want but it's not going to work.

Your right. No chance what-so-ever of 1T. I'm running sync mode BTW. Gonna try tightening the others tomorrow.

Cheers.

EDIT: I'd still really like to know if SLI mode should be available with four sticks though?

[EOCF] Tim
09-23-07, 02:32 PM
Your right. No chance what-so-ever of 1T. I'm running sync mode BTW. Gonna try tightening the others tomorrow.

Cheers.

EDIT: I'd still really like to know if SLI mode should be available with four sticks though?

No problem, have fun.

john19055
09-23-07, 04:53 PM
It makes very little difference in performance with 1T over 2T if any at all ,but your system will be more stable at 2T.2.3v seems high for the memory voltage .My suggest 2.1v but I just use 2v just fine.

Revs
09-24-07, 02:33 AM
It makes very little difference in performance with 1T over 2T if any at all ,but your system will be more stable at 2T.2.3v seems high for the memory voltage .My suggest 2.1v but I just use 2v just fine.

On the OCZ site it don't say anything like '2.1v plus or minus 10% or anything, it just says 2.3v, so i'm gonna stick at that.

There is no noticable difference at 1T anyhow.

Slammin
09-24-07, 05:28 AM
Tim']1T with 4 sticks of ram is definitely not going to happen, you can try all you want but it's not going to work.

I was running my 4 sticks at 640-670hz 3-3-3-6 1T for the past year almost. I just recently updated my bios to the latest release and now I can't do 1T anymore. Thing is, with the old bios, the best 2T timings I could get was 1000Mhz 5-5-5-15. With this bios, I run 1082Mhz 5-5-5-15.

nekrosoft13
09-24-07, 07:30 AM
On the OCZ site it don't say anything like '2.1v plus or minus 10% or anything, it just says 2.3v, so i'm gonna stick at that.

There is no noticable difference at 1T anyhow.

don't use 2.3 that just crazy

my ram is rated at 2.2 and i use 2.0 clocked at 1110mhz no reason to run more voltage then you need.

it will just cause your ram to fail faster.

Slammin
09-24-07, 08:35 AM
Agreed. Always run your ram, and anything else for that matter, at the lowest stable voltage, but especially with ram. At least with CPU you can see the temps but with ram, unless you check, it could be frying eggs and the diifference of just a bump in speed or just .1v could be all it takes to go from cool to frying.

Revs
09-24-07, 08:42 AM
I've got one of the 3 temp probes from the Striker attached to the RAM, it's about 40-45c. I'll have a go at lowering the volts when I have a mess with the timings.

Revs
09-24-07, 12:44 PM
Currently running 4-4-4-15 2T @ 2.1v and all seems well. Just doing a Prime (Blend) test. It's been going 10 mins ish with no issues. Gonna leave it for an hour or 2 and if it's OK i'll do a little more tweaking. I'll leave it testing over night when I think i've reached the limit. I'll post the final results when i'm sure i've got it as good as possible. Thanks again for the advise guys.:D