PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Tournament 3 may not support widescreen

Pages : [1] 2

Eliminator
09-23-07, 03:32 PM
have you guys seen this?
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?p=2345398#post2345398

epic deleting posts related to proper widescreen support... seeing as how every unreal engine 3 game so far doesnt support proper widescreen without hacking (bioshock, airborne, stranglehold, etc)... its not looking too good for UT3... even gears of war on 360 doesnt support it...

this is unacceptable... maybe its time to speak up

Bman212121
09-23-07, 03:38 PM
I can't see why it wouldn't. UT2K3 and 2K4 have supported it. The other games were done by different companies so it might not be a priority for them, but it would seem odd for them to take out a feature like this.

Xion X2
09-23-07, 03:40 PM
have you guys seen this?
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?p=2345398#post2345398

epic deleting posts related to proper widescreen support... seeing as how every unreal engine 3 game so far doesnt support proper widescreen without hacking (bioshock, airborne, stranglehold, etc)... its not looking too good for UT3... even gears of war on 360 doesnt support it...

this is unacceptable... maybe its time to speak up
Airborne supports widescreen. I run it at 1680x1050 just fine.

Or is this that crazy FOV thing some people talk about? Never noticed it, personally.

Eliminator
09-23-07, 03:41 PM
UT2k3/2k4 did support it but again you manually had to change the FOV either in the .ini or in the menu

Destroy
09-23-07, 03:42 PM
Yup been following this issue also. Seems to be all the rage to not make games properly. Heck even World in Conflict does not support wide screen properly. :screwy:

If Epic screws up this FOV/widescreen issue, I will have lost all faith in PC gaming.

Eliminator
09-23-07, 03:42 PM

Or is this that crazy FOV thing some people talk about? Never noticed it, personally.
yes its all about the FOV... airborne like all other unreal engine 3 games doesnt change the FOV when you run a widescreen resolution thus it just cuts the top and bottom off to make it fit

Destroy
09-23-07, 03:43 PM

Supports the resolutions but not true widescreen giving more view on each side.

|MaguS|
09-23-07, 03:47 PM
I blame consoles. :(

jAkUp
09-23-07, 03:47 PM
Yup been following this issue also. Seems to be all the rage to not make games properly. Heck even World in Conflict does not support wide screen properly. :screwy:

If Epic screws up this FOV/widescreen issue, I will have lost all faith in PC gaming.

PC gaming? Consoles have the same problems. BioShock, GoW, Stranglehold and more are affected by this not just on PC's.

Gabrobot
09-23-07, 03:50 PM
I highly doubt they won't have widescreen support in UT3. Besides being retarded, they wouldn't get Games for Windows certification which is pretty important.

nekrosoft13
09-23-07, 03:51 PM
PC gaming? Consoles have the same problems. BioShock, GoW, Stranglehold, and more are affected by this not just on PC's.

so true, some people just read some info on the net, don't bother to find out the full story about it and keep spreading the same BS all over the time.

Destroy
09-23-07, 03:53 PM
PC gaming? Consoles have the same problems. BioShock, GoW, and more are affected by this not just on PC's.

True, but on a console I don't feel it's as large an issue. You are many feet away from the screen usually and narrow FOVs don't cause that much of an issue.

Still doesn't make it right or justified however, and should indeed be fixed on both platforms.

Eliminator
09-23-07, 04:36 PM
True, but on a console I don't feel it's as large an issue. You are many feet away from the screen usually and narrow FOVs don't cause that much of an issue.
well regardless if its on PC or console... not changing the FOV makes any type of widescreen display useless... after all the point of widescreen is to see more on the sides and not less on the top and bottom

jeffmd
09-23-07, 04:46 PM
I love the tards debating what is "proper WS", with their definition of widescreen being "to see more then what ever the full screen users are seeing". Can't just let it drop that the developers just decided to create the widescreen view, and then simply expand vertical.

if I were you, I wouldn't go buying any more movies, cause they do the same thing to the full screen versions on some of those as well. gasp! Fullscreen users get to see movie elements widescreen users don't!!

nightmare beta
09-23-07, 05:10 PM
I don't know why it wouldn't support widescreen since that's all the rage these days.

i miss the pre-widescreen days.

Talon
09-23-07, 05:52 PM
Ya I'm really disappointed in Epic and the Unreal 3 engine because of this. It's actually pretty surprising. Hopefully someone can hack it in. :(

AngelGraves13
09-23-07, 06:05 PM
I love the tards debating what is "proper WS", with their definition of widescreen being "to see more then what ever the full screen users are seeing". Can't just let it drop that the developers just decided to create the widescreen view, and then simply expand vertical.

if I were you, I wouldn't go buying any more movies, cause they do the same thing to the full screen versions on some of those as well. gasp! Fullscreen users get to see movie elements widescreen users don't!!

Actually, I just finished college (was a film student) and if something is shot in widescreen, it will be cropped for fullscreen. Fullscreen is usually never cropped to widescreen. The only case I've seen is Evil Dead - The Book of the Dead Edition, which was cropped on the top and bottom. Movies are 99% of the time in widescreen and that is the only viewing method to see it exactly as it was shot and intended. Kubrick decided he didn't like widescreen and cropped off the sides of his films, which pissed me off to the point that I didn't even buy his movies. Now that the guy is dead (god bless him) he has no creative control over the DVDs and they will finally, at long last be released the way they were shot, with the sides NOT cropped. Can't wait to see The Shining in widescreen.

Brimstone7
09-23-07, 06:21 PM
I think that this will mostly affect console gamers. As far as I know, all Unreal-based PC games have exposed all of the .ini files and console commands to advanced users. PC gamers can muck around with the settings as they see fit but the console guys will probably get screwed over.

buffbiff21
09-23-07, 06:33 PM
Of course someone is going to hack it in. Where have you guys been?

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

SOAD
09-23-07, 06:45 PM
Damn, Whether its hackable or not it shows the state of hardcore developers.

If such a bastion of gaming like Unreal Tournament cant even implement standard technology..............:headexplode:

Eliminator
09-23-07, 06:58 PM

no they dont... you should check your facts before you post nonsense... one of the main aspect ratios used for movies is 2.35:1 which is far wider than regular 4:3 screens (1.33:1)... so when you watch a movie that is normally 2.35:1 on a 1.33:1 TV and it happens to fill your entire screen then they normally used a technique called pan and scan which cuts the sides off and focuses on the action

you can see an example of how this is done over here (2.6MB GIF): http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/74/PanScan7BridesPan.gif

if you run a 2.35:1 natively on any TV then its just a matter of how big the black bars at the top and bottom are... the wider the TV aspect ratio the smaller the black bars

jeffmd
09-23-07, 07:21 PM
Movies are regularly shot in a wider view then what you end up seeing in the movie theatres and in the final wide screen view. Weather the director chooses to pan and scan or feature a cropped/unlocked hybrid is up to him.

Check out the batman 1 and 2 dvd's (I only name these cause its what I have in my collection that I know are shot in a wider view), the fullscreen version features unlocked vertical.

Talon
09-23-07, 07:31 PM
Actually I knew they would hack it but I think it's sad that they need to. :thumbdwn:

Proper widescreen support should be mainstream right now and we are still having to hack it in?

Of course someone is going to hack it in. Where have you guys been?

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

FastRedPonyCar
09-23-07, 07:34 PM
Doesn't make sense to NOT have a widescreen option....even if it's for consoles. look at how many people these days game with consoles on hdtv's. They're all widescreen!

Huge WTF regardless of which angle you look at the situation.

I'm just glad the guys making crysis is doing everything right. They seem to be bucking the system...

agentkay
09-23-07, 07:43 PM
Zoomed FOV can cause motion sickness especially with fast and hectic gameplay. Im getting it for PC though and there is at least hope for a hack/solution. (thanks widescreengaming guys!) ;)