PDA

View Full Version : port forwarding question

OldOfEvil
09-23-07, 05:56 PM
Newbie here, got a question.

I have a 2Wire modem/router and want to setup port forwarding so I can use bittorent. 2 other computers share the connection, and the users also want to use bittorent. Would it be ok/good to forward the same port for all 3 computers to use on their respective bittorent app?

Sycario
09-23-07, 07:16 PM
If you have to forward ports, change the ports the clients use and forward the 3 different ones to each computer that uses the port.

retsam
09-23-07, 10:46 PM
Newbie here, got a question.

I have a 2Wire modem/router and want to setup port forwarding so I can use bittorent. 2 other computers share the connection, and the users also want to use bittorent. Would it be ok/good to forward the same port for all 3 computers to use on their respective bittorent app?
whats the router?

OldOfEvil
09-24-07, 12:44 AM
whats the router?

It is a 2Wire 2700 HG-D, it was provided by my ISP Qwest.

retsam
09-24-07, 02:45 AM
It is a 2Wire 2700 HG-D, it was provided by my ISP Qwest.no, you cannot forward the same ports back to multiple computers....why would you want to do that anyways? do you have the firewall turned on? if so why not just turn on NAT then let it take care of it for you?

OldOfEvil
09-24-07, 04:07 AM
no, you cannot forward the same ports back to multiple computers....why would you want to do that anyways? do you have the firewall turned on? if so why not just turn on NAT then let it take care of it for you?

Right.

Thats why I opened my initial post "Newbie here, got a question."

I know very little about networking. /shrug

retsam
09-24-07, 05:07 AM
Right.

Thats why I opened my initial post "Newbie here, got a question."

I know very little about networking. /shrug
well TBH there is a way of doing it just not with the router you have....