PDA

View Full Version : 4pin confusion from my COOLERMASTER ECLIPSE problem

Noodles
09-23-07, 06:44 PM
I have an ASUS PK53 mobo and a thermaltake toughpower 700w psupply
and a cooler master eclipse cpu fan.

How do I get it powered.. I have a comp[lete rig minus a graphics card, and THAT converter cable to the standard power supply male/female

What is that cable called, or am I making a silly mistake.. where do I plug in the 4-pin?

crainger
09-23-07, 09:28 PM
Are you talking about the 4 pin plug on the Eclipse itself? That should plug onto the motherboard. The header will be near the CPU itself. Can be a little tricky as they stopped using 3 pin for CPU fans a short while ago. Although they are backwards compatible.

Hope that helps, otherwise post back with pics and/or a diagram :D

Noodles
09-23-07, 09:39 PM
Well as you know, all fans have a 3 pin that go into the MOBO.. and a seperate cord that goes into the PSupply

I already plugged it into the mobo, the 4-pin is also where it goes to powersupply or so it says?

Am I wrong? does the CPU fan get power ONLY from the MOBO? or also at the ps?

This is my first pc build from scratch.

I believe it was 90% successful.. i just need a graphics card to test everything out.. but i bought the wrong one.. and to get power to my cpu fan. of course.

crainger
09-23-07, 09:48 PM
Ah. Yeah the fan will get all it's power through the motherboard. That way the motherboard can control the fan speed and noise automatically or though settings you set in the bios or in Speedfan in Windows. You can also set it to alert you if the fan stops and even shutdown to prevent damage.