PDA

View Full Version : How do I update my bios without a?

Airbrushkid
09-23-07, 08:44 PM
Hello,
How do I go about updating my bios without a floppy drive? I have a eVGA NForce4 SLI Edition NF41 motherboard.

$n][pErMan
09-23-07, 08:57 PM
Did your motherboard come with any software to flash the BIOS? For years now most motherboards have programs for windows which will flash the BIOS for you if you don't wish to do it the old fashon floppy way.

Airbrushkid
09-23-07, 09:18 PM
I found a program on the cd called WinFlash. But went to EVGA's website to look for a newer bios. All I find is a exe that wants to install on a floppy. For WinFlash to work I need a bin file.

|MaguS|
09-23-07, 09:23 PM
Without a Floppy? Some due to from a CDROM or Thumb Drive (mine can) but if they don't have the option then your SOL. I would never recommend Windows Flashing because most of the times the flash programs are so flaky.

crainger
09-23-07, 09:42 PM
Without a Floppy? Some due to from a CDROM or Thumb Drive (mine can) but if they don't have the option then your SOL. I would never recommend Windows Flashing because most of the times the flash programs are so flaky.

QFT

This is especially true if you running Vista. The windows apps are even more troublesome under Vista. My Abit was hosed when I did an update. Luckily I had a floppy on hand to quickly whack in and the motherboard had support for reloading a bios after a bad flash.

Airbrushkid
09-23-07, 09:47 PM
I loved my Asus board they came with software that would let you update the bios live from the internet.

I did the bin file for the new bios.

crainger
09-23-07, 09:50 PM
I loved my Asus board they came with software that would let you update the bios live from the internet.

Yeah, that's a handy feature, no need to go though release versions and dates. Although it's always a good idea to see what's new and if you need a new BIOS. The general rule of thumb is to only update if you need to. There is no point in updating if the the only fix is support for a processor you don't have.

This of course assumes that the board maker lists all changes in the release notes. :D

Amuro
09-23-07, 10:50 PM

Unless you want a dead bios chip, don't do it in Windows. Put the bin file on a USB flash memory and use the Ezflash2 tool within the system BIOS. This is the safest way of flashing the bios if you don't have a floppydrive.

Airbrushkid
09-24-07, 08:32 AM
Theres no Ezflash2 tool in my nio on my eVGA NForce4 SLI Edition NF41 motherboard.

Unless you want a dead bios chip, don't do it in Windows. Put the bin file on a USB flash memory and use the Ezflash2 tool within the system BIOS. This is the safest way of flashing the bios if you don't have a floppydrive.

Tr1cK
09-24-07, 09:20 AM
There's a free utility to make a flash drive bootable (google it). Use it and copy the pertinent flash utility and bin file to it. You may have to go into your BIOS before you flash it to set it to boot off the drive. Restart with the flash drive attached and it should boot to a C: command prompt which would actually be the flash drive.