PDA

View Full Version : The Wii performance nailed down

Lyme
09-24-07, 03:05 PM
I'm sure most of you like myself own a Wii (hey they are cheap), but have you ever wondered how it really performs? http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/levelup/archive/2007/09/24/is-wii-really-gamecube-one-point-five-yes-says-beyond3d.aspx

A longish article but informative and well written. One of the quotes of interest "Through some lengthy investigations, we can now say for certain that there was no major leap in either performance or functionality compared to the GameCube. Instead, Nintendo decided to define the Wii entirely by the new controller."

Severian126
09-24-07, 04:26 PM
It doesn't really matter to me how underpowered it is. I sure have a lot of fun with it, and lately moreso than some of the PC games (besides Bioshock) that I've played and got bored with.

I always questioned the Wii's capabilities and wondered why it's so damn popular. After buying it, setting it up, and watching my family who have hardly touched the other systems in my house, play through hours of Wii Sport's and Wii Play's games, I can see why it's so damn good. Nintendo is on the right track. Why play with MS and Sony on the graphic/performance turf and create one themselves with no competition - so to speak?

As graphically inferior as it is, I'm loving Metroid, Zelda and have played through RE4 twice on the Wii (I've beaten it about a billion times on the GC too, lol). :)

nightmare beta
09-24-07, 06:12 PM
I have one problem with that article. It's using Halo 3 as an example for something that has amazing graphics.

Why is galo 3 going to be the new, high-water benchmark by which all other games are judged, when mad games have better graphics?

I really felt ripped off when I bought my wii a few weeks ago.

I expected it to come with an ethernet port. But it didn't, and I had to spend $30 for some generic piece of **** lan adaptor from eb. I should buy a classic controller for another $20. It doesn't come with any free wii points. And all of that is in addition to the outdated hardware. It should only be $200 and come with an ethernet port. If it's going to be 250, then they have no business not giving better hardware than the x360.

nVJoe
09-24-07, 06:19 PM
I have one problem with that article. It's using Halo 3 as an example for something that has amazing graphics.

Why is galo 3 going to be the new, high-water benchmark by which all other games are judged, when mad games have better graphics?

I expected it to come with an ethernet port. But it didn't, and I had to spend $30 for some generic piece of **** lan adaptor from eb. I should buy a classic controller for another $20. It doesn't come with any free wii points. And all of that is in addition to the outdated hardware. It should only be $200 and come with an ethernet port. If it's going to be 250, then they have no business not giving better hardware than the x360.
I just want to break Oregon right now.

3DBrad
09-24-07, 06:26 PM
Halo 3 is quite ugly compared to Gears of War and anything else Epic releases on the 360.

jeffmd
09-24-07, 06:35 PM
I thought halo3 looks pretty clean and had "just enough" graphical splendor. gears of war is mostly eye candy and a second rate shooter.

Anyways... I'm not going to bash the wii being underpowered, but I will say this. I don't trust a company who repackaged its old hardware with a neato controller, and charged twice as much.

kev13dd
09-24-07, 07:26 PM

Compared to every Wii game, Halo 3 is amazing to look at
Compared to every Gamecube game, Halo 3 is amazing to look at
Compared to Halo 1, Halo 2, and every game that came out on the Xbox, Halo 3 is graphically superior
Compared to PS2 and ever game on it, Halo 3 is graphically superior

Is your argument against Halo 3s look that it "ISN'T AS GOOD AS OTHER X360 GAMES!!!"? I just don't understand why you somehow feel that ONE article somehow defines Halo 3 as the graphical benchmark of the generation. One article talking about a console with horrid graphical capabilities uses a game that looks great and lots of people know about in order to make a point. Get the heck over it

Not to mention your basing all of this on SCREENSHOTS you've seen of Halo 3. Good lord son....

K

NaitoSan
09-24-07, 07:35 PM
I want Wii but... if I get Wii I'll be completely broke! So many to get from Virtual Console and few Wii games.... lol

And other games on different consoles... man it sucks not to have much money and at college. :(

nightmare beta
09-25-07, 11:54 AM
Compared to every Wii game, Halo 3 is amazing to look at
Compared to every Gamecube game, Halo 3 is amazing to look at
Compared to Halo 1, Halo 2, and every game that came out on the Xbox, Halo 3 is graphically superior
Compared to PS2 and ever game on it, Halo 3 is graphically superior

Is your argument against Halo 3s look that it "ISN'T AS GOOD AS OTHER X360 GAMES!!!"? I just don't understand why you somehow feel that ONE article somehow defines Halo 3 as the graphical benchmark of the generation. One article talking about a console with horrid graphical capabilities uses a game that looks great and lots of people know about in order to make a point. Get the heck over it

Not to mention your basing all of this on SCREENSHOTS you've seen of Halo 3. Good lord son....

K

Screenshots of Halo3 probably look better than it does in motion, but it has alpha aliasing so bad that it's apparent as hell in screenshots, not just in motion.

It has weak draw distances, and the video I saw of UT3 for the ps3 makes halo 3 look like a damn atari 2600 game, figuratively speaking.

There's mad games from the 1st xbox, ps2, gc, and wii that look better than most games on the pile of **** that is the x360.

Games from the late 90s have better graphics than halo 3.

I don't think there's any justice left in the world, b/c ut3 isn't praised, isn't on ****ing mountain dew bottles, doesn't have ads that disrupt websites, isn't going to have it's own ****ing line at wal-mart, and will probably not only not get a 95%, but probably not even a 90% or higher. In 1997, Symphony of the Night didn't get this special treatment, and that's just stupid that galo3 gets all of this damn praise and people beating their dick thinking about how great they think it is. None of the Devil May Cry games ever did or ever will get this special treatment, nights into dreams and super metroid, mp1, and metroid fusion and zero mission never got this kind of treatment. And they're actually superior in every way to galo3. Yet they don't get all of the special treatment that pile of **** gaylo3 gets.

I wasn't bitching at you or anything, I was just bitchin' at the situation.

nVJoe
09-25-07, 12:04 PM
Screenshots of Halo3 probably look better than it does in motion, but it has alpha aliasing so bad that it's apparent as hell in screenshots, not just in motion.

It has weak draw distances, and the video I saw of UT3 for the ps3 makes halo 3 look like a damn atari 2600 game, figuratively speaking.

There's mad games from the 1st xbox, ps2, gc, and wii that look better than most games on the pile of **** that is the x360.

I don't think there's any justice left in the world, b/c ut3 isn't praised, isn't on ****ing mountain dew bottles, doesn't have ads that disrupt websites, isn't going to have it's own ****ing line at wal-mart, and will probably not only not get a 95%, but probably not even a 90% or higher. In 1997, Symphony of the Night didn't get this special treatment, and that's just stupid that galo3 gets all of this damn praise and people beating their dick thinking about how great they think it is. None of the Devil May Cry games ever did or ever will get this special treatment, nights into dreams and super metroid, mp1, and metroid fusion and zero mission never got this kind of treatment. And they're actually superior in every way to galo3. Yet they don't get all of the special treatment that pile of **** gaylo3 gets.

I am tired of the rubbish that Halo 3 looks terrible. It doesn't. This is just hyperbole by small minded children who got a bug up their butt about a game they have no intention to play. Halo 3 does not have to look the greatest. It only has to look nice and clean. The game play will be good as usual. The style of the graphics and the game play are what sell this game, not next generation graphics. In fact next generation graphics games have been for the most part just ok games.

Monolyth
09-25-07, 12:52 PM

Man I so wanna hate something right now so I can totally bash it without realizing how much a fool I would sound like. hmmm...

I HATE nVIDIA!!! OMFG THERAR GRAFIX CARDS SUCKS....

Edit: Monolyth has summarily been TAZERED for his previous comments...

Edit #2: Client just told me I need a new version of Vista, reformatting now.

Lyme
09-25-07, 03:13 PM

Your such a douchbag for turning a perfectly good Wii discussion thread into your incesent bitching.

zoomy942
09-27-07, 08:54 AM
for me, its all about fun. i could never ever get my family and non gamer friends to play anything on the ps3 or the 360. the wii steps in and noone wants to quit.

thats a winner in my book

pkirby11
09-27-07, 09:34 AM

I just want to know, have you played Halo, Halo 2, or Halo 3? If not the STFU! Halo 3 in my opinion is deserving of all the praise it's gotten. Yes it seems a little short but it's fun as hell and I'm enjoying every minute, that's hard to say about some games these days. So unless you play Halo 3 just keep your damn mouth shut, you are entitled to an opinion but you can't really give an opinion/review if you've never touched the game.

As for the Wii, still haven't found an interest in it but I see why other's have. I've played one with a firend for a few hours and it's definetaly a great console but I still think it's a gimmick that will wear off. Their are only so many games you can make that make use of wagging a stick around. :D This does not mean how ever I think the Wii sucks in any shape or form, it is a great console but I never have any intention of buying one. My PS3 and XBox 360 or what I'm looking for.

Lyme
09-27-07, 10:33 AM
You shoulden't respond to nightmare beta, he is a dumbass of epic porportions.

nightmare beta
09-27-07, 03:26 PM
You shoulden't respond to nightmare beta, he is a dumbass of epic porportions.

That's purely subjective.

zoomy942
09-27-07, 03:31 PM
That's purely subjective.

no its not. you are a dumbass