PDA

View Full Version : Updating Abit IP35 BIOS

methimpikehoses
09-25-07, 10:34 AM
Can this be done with a thumb drive, or do you need a floppy. Thinking about getting the IP35 Pro but I want to make sure I can update the BIOS w/o a floppy.

zer0?

LordJuanlo
09-25-07, 11:43 AM
I've updated my Gigabyte BIOS from the Windows utility and it works great. It connects, download latest BIOS, makes copy of the old one and update, all from Windows. Forget about floppies and reboots.

methimpikehoses
09-25-07, 11:49 AM
I've heard windows BIOS flashes can be... scary.

I have an ASUS board right now that has a EZ Flash utility that works pretty well, but I'm not real keen on ASUS stability and v-droop issues.

methimpikehoses
09-25-07, 12:41 PM
i haven't tried updating my bios yet. :)

C'mon, why not?

So is there any advantage that the PRO has that the E doesn't? It's like $75 cheaper... then I can get a more expensive case... :D

PaiN
09-25-07, 01:23 PM
I've flashed many bios via Windows with Abit's FlashMenu (http://www.uabit.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=48&page=5&model=382) app....incl. this IP35 Pro.
Its never failed and has always worked perfectly(make sure you set the clocks to default before flashing)

methimpikehoses
09-25-07, 01:44 PM
I've flashed many bios via Windows with Abit's FlashMenu (http://www.uabit.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=48&page=5&model=382) app....incl. this IP35 Pro.
Its never failed and has always worked perfectly(make sure you set the clocks to default before flashing)

Thanks for the info guys, I think I'll go ahead with one of these...

Any reason to pick the Pro over the -E or the vanilla?

cyntho
09-25-07, 03:13 PM
I think the difference is as follows:

IP35 Pro = Heatpipes & Heatsinks on the chips, Solid State Capacitors, SLI and RAID.

IP35 = Heatpipes & Heatsinks on the chips, Solid State Capacitors, and RAID.

IP35-E = None of that :D.

methimpikehoses
09-25-07, 05:33 PM
Decisions decisions. Wonder if they all OC the same. Must research internetz.

cyntho
09-26-07, 10:35 AM
From what I've read, they all OC well :D.

verncat
09-26-07, 12:18 PM
Just a note of caution if you run Vista 64. DO NOT use Flash Menu if you use it. You will BSOD before it finished flashing and possibly lose your bios chip. I was extremely fortunate to have been able to recover from that debacle. I would strongly recommend using a floppy to update.

Shawn

methimpikehoses
09-26-07, 01:41 PM
Just a note of caution if you run Vista 64. DO NOT use Flash Menu if you use it. You will BSOD before it finished flashing and possibly lose your bios chip. I was extremely fortunate to have been able to recover from that debacle. I would strongly recommend using a floppy to update.

Shawn

Yikes, will a thumb drive work?

methimpikehoses
09-26-07, 01:42 PM
I'm very happy with the IP35-E. If you don't need the added ports and connectors you should be fine with the -E.

But that big copper cooler looks so cool on the Pro... I bet it cools just the same tho... :)

cyntho
09-26-07, 02:00 PM
The IP35 has the same cooler as the IP35-PRO. The IP35-E is the one without the copper cooler.

The PRO just has more things for the enthusiast like SLI :D

verncat
09-26-07, 03:55 PM
Yikes, will a thumb drive work?

Yes, I believe there is a procedure for flashing from a thumbdrive over on the Abit forums.

methimpikehoses
09-26-07, 10:49 PM
Yes, I believe there is a procedure for flashing from a thumbdrive over on the Abit forums.

Cool, I have absolutely no other reason to own a floppy drive other than to flash freaking BIOS's.

Anyway I pulled the trigger on the IP35 Pro over at Newegg! It had a $20MIR so I said what they hay, get the latest and greatest. Looking forward to testing the old e6600 on it for a while, then moving to quad 45nm in Jan/Feb.

(nana2)

cyntho
09-27-07, 12:39 PM
Well the IP35 PRO has 2x 16x PCI slots, while the IP35 and IP35-E only have 1.

That is why I assumed the SLI on the IP35-PRO.

But after reading this.

http://www.uabit.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=99&Itemid=2

I realize that 2 slots doesn't necessarily mean SLI capable :D.

But then you read this.

http://www.uabit.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=88&Itemid=2

And it says...

...The IP35 Pro has essentially empty space below its primary PCIe x16 slot to accommodate beefier coolers, so double-wide CrossFire configs will only cost you one PCI slot.

That sounds like a dual card option is available... but only for ATI? Odd!