PDA

View Full Version : Windows DreamScene Final Released

Pages : [1] 2

nekrosoft13
09-25-07, 10:07 PM
09/25/2007
Windows DreamScene released!
In early July, I wrote about The Ultimate Team’s intention to ship the remaining promised Ultimate Extras (DreamScene and the remaining Language Packs) by the end of the summer. Unfortunately summer never really came to Seattle this year—so we missed our cue. That being said, we are pleased to announce that Windows DreamScene is now available.

As most of you already know, Windows DreamScene transforms your desktop from a static wallpaper image into a full-motion video. In conjunction with Stardock, we’re pleased to also offer a number of cool, new animated DreamScene desktops, including “Aurora”. Additionally, you can use your own videos as DreamScene desktops or visit Stardock’s Dream.WinCustomize.com website to download Stardock’s DeskScapes (an add-on to DreamScene) as well as a collection of fabulous content created by Stardock and members of the Ultimate community.

While we are excited about shipping DreamScene, the remaining 19 language packs are, unfortunately, not yet ready for release. Recently we realized that Ultimate customers who tried to install the language packs that shipped earlier this year were experiencing an unacceptably high number of failures during installation. We continue to make delivering the highest quality, most secure Extras our top priority, and we will not ship any Extra until it is absolutely ready. We know this is disappointing, and again we apologize, but we are working hard to ensure that all of the remaining language packs will be ready for release by the end of October.

On a different topic, as the broad beta for Windows Vista SP1 nears, people have noticed that the screen which welcomes customers to Windows Ultimate Extras has changed. Our intent in making this change was simply to broaden the definition in anticipation of a broader range of Ultimate Extras being available in the future—that do not necessarily map to the original, narrow definition.

While I can understand how community sites and bloggers may have read the new definition and assumed that Microsoft is not shipping any more Extras, in reality the opposite is true. In addition to the remaining Language Packs, we plan to ship a collection of additional Windows Ultimate Extras that we are confident will delight our passionate Windows Vista Ultimate customers. We will shed more light on these plans once the Language Packs are finally dislodged from our delivery pipeline!

Thanks for your patience and your continued support.

I look forward to sharing more positive news in the near future.

Barry Goffe
Director, Windows Vista Ultimate
Microsoft Corporation

http://windowsultimate.com/blogs/announcements/archive/2007/09/25/windows-dreamscene-released.aspx

ViN86
09-25-07, 10:12 PM
downloaded this today. havent tried it out yet.

AthlonXP1800
09-25-07, 11:57 PM
Downloaded Windows DreamScene and then here was another update of Windows DreamScene contents pack.

I now running waterfall dreamscene in desktop. :D

Noticed dreamscenes used only 5-8% CPU usage when you on desktop.

Bearclaw
09-26-07, 12:07 AM
Excellent news! Going to DL now and try it out.

Redeemed
09-26-07, 01:31 AM
Well, I hope they fixed it. Last time I used DreamScene, it'd cause my computer to crash if I went to load up a game. Hopefully now I can use it continuously without issue.

Revs
09-26-07, 05:21 AM
Well, I hope they fixed it. Last time I used DreamScene, it'd cause my computer to crash if I went to load up a game. Hopefully now I can use it continuously without issue.

+1

Looking forward to giving it another go. It was always a good idea, it just didn't work too well. Cheers for the heads-up nekro :)

Logical
09-26-07, 07:46 AM
I tried the add-on from stardock and tbh it wasn't really that good.

It basically takes wmv files and converts them into dream files (the required file type for the stardock), i think they did this so it would use minimal resources but i had like 20% cpu usage from it :S

Needless to say it got uninstalled....oh i forgot to mention the dream files that you download are very low quality.

May as well just select a wmv file to use with dreamscene.

lduguay
09-26-07, 08:19 AM
No go for me...:headexplode:

nekrosoft13
09-26-07, 09:11 AM
No go for me...:headexplode:

are you running your cards in SLI or seperate?

qube
09-26-07, 12:29 PM
http://www.wincustomize.com/skins.aspx?libid=50&sort=newest
link to stardock dreams

Riptide
09-26-07, 12:32 PM
Does this show up in windows update then? Dreamscene not stardock..

Bearclaw
09-26-07, 12:51 PM
Does this show up in windows update then? Dreamscene not stardock..
Yes, it shows up in windows update.

Dragunov
09-26-07, 02:20 PM
Windows Update if u have Ultimate .....

Tried it yesterday and got a black screen as background :(

breathemetal
09-26-07, 03:52 PM
I dl'd this yesterday in windows update (i have ult. edition)
Seems to be working just to same

Redeemed
09-26-07, 06:22 PM
It seems to be working fine for me. Before, if I tried to game I'd get some sort of crash- usually only the game I tried playing crashing and DreamScene becoming disabled. Now, after probably 3 or so hours in BioShock with DreamScene running, it's still working. :D I'm pleased. :p

lduguay
09-26-07, 11:08 PM
are you running your cards in SLI or seperate?
Separate, and SLI when gaming.

Dragunov
09-27-07, 07:19 AM
Same problem as I have

lduguay
09-27-07, 02:42 PM
SLI no go :headexplode:
Multi monitor no go :headexplode:
DreamScene = :headexplode:

evox
09-27-07, 04:45 PM
last time I tried to run Dreamscene, with 163.69 drivers, it gave me BSOD. after updating to the final version, works pretty well. pity Microsoft doesn't offer more DS backgrounds by default :)

|MaguS|
09-27-07, 06:05 PM
I enabled it, saw how pretty it was then after I noticed it made my PC use 1Gb of RAM on idle so I quickly disabled it...

Dragunov
09-27-07, 07:15 PM
Possible solution for the black background instead of a video?

thx

v3rninater
09-27-07, 07:20 PM
I enabled it, saw how pretty it was then after I noticed it made my PC use 1Gb of RAM on idle so I quickly disabled it...

Dude you realize that Vista uses a crapton of ram just to keep applications quick on the draw. It's not like XP or something like that anymore. Plus my ram was being used to the extent of 800mg before dreamscene, now it's 1.06 normally with DS.

|MaguS|
09-27-07, 10:51 PM
Dude you realize that Vista uses a crapton of ram just to keep applications quick on the draw. It's not like XP or something like that anymore. Plus my ram was being used to the extent of 800mg before dreamscene, now it's 1.06 normally with DS.

Xp used 300MB, Vista uses 500MB... with dreamscene it jumped to 1GB.

nekrosoft13
09-28-07, 12:09 AM

so? if you have the ram why not use it?

retsam
09-28-07, 06:14 AM
SLI no go :headexplode:
Multi monitor no go :headexplode:
DreamScene = :headexplode:
well TBH any M$ product that at version 1.0 usually sucks and falls short. thats why i usually wait untill at least version 3 before attempting to give it a try....