PDA

View Full Version : Complete NOOB needs help...

callthecops
09-26-07, 01:34 AM
Ok. Like the title says, I know next to nothing when it comes to computer hardware. So please bear with my ignorance, i may sound stupid at times:(. anyways, here's my situation...
My dad just recently ordered a new graphics card for my comp. He said its the evga e-geforce 8800 gtx. Now all I want to do with that is to play some high-end games like bioshock, oblivion, and obviously crysis. None of that techie stuff like overclocking or whatnot.
I know some of the basic specs of my computer so I'll list them here.
motherboard (or mainboard or watever) ASUS m2a-vm
cpu amd athlon 64 x2 6000+
vista ultimate 64bit (genuine)
2gb ram
power supply (i am not sure but my case is called inwin z series)
ok so my question is, will the 8800 gtx work fine on my computer considering everything from the cpu to the motherboard to the power supply? o and btw my monitor is 17inches and my dad also said something about bottlenecking which i obviously dont know what it is (if someone could kindly explain to me what that means if bottlenecking even exists lol...)

thank you very much tech gurus. i appreciate any response.

buffbiff21
09-26-07, 01:42 AM
You may want to double check on the power supply. List the wattage output and the amperage ratings on the +12v rails.

Another thing, the word bottleneck is totally lame. I'm pretty sure your dad may have meant your X2 CPU will limit the card to a certain extent, but it will still kick ass, even without Allendale/Conroe/Kentsfield CPUs. Trust me.

ATOJAR
09-26-07, 01:48 AM
First off the PSU! .... if thats the psu that comes with the case i would say theres a 99% chance it wont have the juice to power the GTX! .... you need a good brand psu for a GTX, id say 550w - 600w at least with 30A on the 12V railings! ... I would say everything else looks ok!

buffbiff21
09-26-07, 02:47 AM
550-600 is overshooting a tad.

If you do choose to get a new PSU, I recommend a Corsair HX520. It will be plenty for an overclocked GTX system, plus it's modular and has black wiring, and is cheap. Very sexy.

callthecops
09-26-07, 07:29 AM
so how does this power supply work? first of all, can anybody tell me what my power supply IS just from the information that my case is inwin z-series?
so if i buy a new power supply, does it attach to the interior of the case (like replace the built-in case power supply) or is it like outside of the case?
again, sorry for being so noob in a high tech forum...

SOAD
09-26-07, 08:02 AM
Your dad brought you a GTX :wtf:

:D congrats. Thank him profusely ;)

in regards to bottlenecking he is saying that your CPU is holding back the true power of your graphics card. A Core 2 Quad or Overclocked Duo would eliminate that pretty much.

never mind though. In regards to the psu I would recommend the corsair series. :)

best of luck

Tr1cK
09-26-07, 08:55 AM
A VERY high quality 500 watt PSU is in order for a single GTX. The one that came with the system will not be strong enough to run reliably.

OAKside
09-26-07, 09:05 AM
IN WIN (http://www.in-win.us/products_case_series.php?cat_id=1&series_id=14)? Which model of the Z series? (Z611, Z583, or Z589?)
(They don't even list the wattage on their site, lame.)

A VERY high quality 500 watt PSU is in order for a single GTX. The one that came with the system will not be strong enough to run reliably.

QFT. You definitely need a quality, powerful (500-600W) PSU for an 8800 GTX.
Decent case cooling will also help. Good luck, it's a heater but not much can beat it!

Your monitor will be easy on your GPU, may be the weak point (bottleneck?) of the graphical goodness.
You can play any game (Bioshock, WIC, maybe even Crysis) at a good framerate at the resolution (~1280x1024).

okeefe58
09-26-07, 11:16 AM
as far as where your psu is -new one inside outside -u really could inform yourself by looking on the web a bit -follow your powercord to the back of your pc -what its connected to is your psu -if u take off the left side cover -there should be a sticker on it with all the specs -the main one u need to look for is +12v should be at top of a column -below it will show something like 14-22amps. you need to have one that is at least 22amps, the more the better and look for the total wattage-yours will probebly be from 250-400-youll need to take that one out and put a new one in its place -its not difficult, but probebly something for your dad to do-you'll also have to hook up power to your card from the psu-do you even know if you have a spare power line available from your psu? you'll need to-you'll probebly be able to play games and whatnot with just the card, but when you start getting errors, freez-ups, shut-downs, artifacts-thats telling you to get a better psu

callthecops
09-26-07, 12:41 PM
Three (+One RANDOM) more questions (probably extremely simple for you smart folks)

1) is a zalman fan (fan mate 2) sitting atop my cpu enough of cooling?

2) how loud is the gtx compared to gts 320mb (my brother's card)? cuz his gts can run pretty loud sometimes, and im hoping that the gtx is considerably quieter, which is what ive read in some reviews but feedback from personal experience is always better... :)

3) does the gtx come with a spare line to connect to the power supply? (something that okeefe58 was talking about)

4) ***RANDOM QUESTION ALERT*** can i somehow "disable" the use of the 8800 gtx while i'm NOT playing games or doing anything graphics intensive so that i don't have to waste valuable electricity when i dont need it? (like if im just word processing or surfing the web) and if i can, do i have to do it manually (as in physically) or can i just disable something through windows vista?

again, i appreciate all of your help.

Noodles
09-26-07, 02:13 PM
^ no, you can't run off of on board video through a video card, I DON'T THINK....

Noodles
09-26-07, 02:14 PM
ythe card will come with everything you need to hook it up

callthecops
09-26-07, 02:25 PM
ok update. my dad generously offered his used pc case (sonata) to me. dont know if this will make a difference at all (probably wont -__-;)... looks better than my inwin case though i have to admit lol

Noodles
09-26-07, 02:35 PM
^ if you rate yourself a 0-2 in pc build knowledge out of ten... please don't bother swapping all of the parts, hahaha

if not necessary..

your only worry is that THIS CARD WON'T FIT IN EITHER CASE

You need a full tower to do this comfortably..

my friend has a picture with an 8800 ultra next to his foot... its bigger.. .12 inches

callthecops
09-26-07, 03:01 PM
^ if you rate yourself a 0-2 in pc build knowledge out of ten... please don't bother swapping all of the parts, hahaha

if not necessary..

your only worry is that THIS CARD WON'T FIT IN EITHER CASE

You need a full tower to do this comfortably..

my friend has a picture with an 8800 ultra next to his foot... its bigger.. .12 inches

lol im a -1/10 in pc knowledge hehe.
what about a antec 900 or p182 interms of size and power supply?

okeefe58
09-26-07, 08:26 PM
your card does come with all connections, BUT -you still need to have TWO molex lines off of your psu available and not connected to anything -at the very least-FOUR IF U WANT FULL CARD FUNCTION you really should have a psu with two pci-e connectors (what is on your card) they supply u with an adaptor to convert the molex to pci-e -but its not your ideal situation-its really not helping not knowing what you have, but if it where me and i had a card that expensive, i would get a new psu suited for the card -dude- look at this page-http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?Image=14-130-072-12.jpg%2c14-130-072-13.jpg%2c14-130-072-14.jpg%2c14-130-072-18.jpg%2c14-130-072-16.jpg%2c14-130-072-19.jpg&S7ImageFlag=0&Depa=0&Description=EVGA+GeForce+8800GTX+768-P2-N831-AR+Video+Card -you need FOUR open molex connectors or TWO pci-e connectors(one 6pin and one 8pin) i think with that card you can get by only connecting one side, but then the card is limited in some ways i'm not even 100% sure of that-u might have to have all 4 connected-find a psu with a 6pin and 8pin pci-e connectors -your gonna need some bucks

callthecops
09-26-07, 10:44 PM
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/hardwarecanuck-reviews/2067-antec-sonata-iii-case-review.html

i dont know how reputable that site is, but seems to me like it is considering all the external quotes listed at the bottom. if thats the case, then the antec earthwatts 500w power supply is "high-performance"

i think im gonna give it a go with the sonata case. i read online somewhere that the gtx does fit the sonata, albeit tightly and with the removable of something... (lol)

okeefe58
09-27-07, 12:14 AM
if this is what you really have, you'll be just fine -i personally have an antec 550 and love it-it is very stable -a quote from the review u listed "The performance of this power supply (antec) is nothing short of stunning for a unit which is included in the price of a case" antec is considered to be good-great psu in most of the pc community-you also have dual rail in that psu that adds up to 34amps -that equals good for your card

XDanger
09-29-07, 12:01 PM
Back to the point about saving electricity while not gaming , Just set 2d clocks and mem to a low number