PDA

View Full Version : Screen gets garbled when changing refresh rate (Vista 64)

nxsty
09-26-07, 03:17 AM
Hello

I'm starting to regret my choice to use vista. I have Vista Ultimate 64 installed with the latest hotfixes. The computer is a Core 2 6600 on a Asus P5B (965 based) with a Nvidia geforce 7900GT.

The problem is that I can't change refresh rate. The default is 60Hz but when I change it to 75Hz the screen just becomes garbled. Even if I wait or press esc to cancel the change it's still garbled and I have to reboot by using the button on the computer.

This happenes with the last stable driver as well as the latest, and some beta drivers in betwen.

A workaround is to change the refresh rate before installing the nvidia drivers, the setting will then remain and work with the nvidia drivers too.

Any ideas?

Kelldane
09-26-07, 03:22 PM
It might be related to this, possibly. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90026
I had to RMA my card due to this problem.

Hello

I'm starting to regret my choice to use vista. I have Vista Ultimate 64 installed with the latest hotfixes. The computer is a Core 2 6600 on a Asus P5B (965 based) with a Nvidia geforce 7900GT.

The problem is that I can't change refresh rate. The default is 60Hz but when I change it to 75Hz the screen just becomes garbled. Even if I wait or press esc to cancel the change it's still garbled and I have to reboot by using the button on the computer.

This happenes with the last stable driver as well as the latest, and some beta drivers in betwen.

A workaround is to change the refresh rate before installing the nvidia drivers, the setting will then remain and work with the nvidia drivers too.

Any ideas?

Kelldane
09-27-07, 03:16 AM
Also, I believe Jakup possibly had a newer bios to try out for those that where having issues with a certain model number. (I believe.)

nxsty
09-27-07, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the link! That seems to be exactly my problem. I guess I should contact the vendor (XFX). But it's weird since the card has been working perfectly in XP and Linux. :|

Kelldane
09-29-07, 02:44 AM
That's what I'd do.. See if you can get anything better than what you have-7950gt or better as they don't seem to have the problem.

DoubleDeuce
09-29-07, 06:20 PM
One thing that has worked for many people if you really aren't interested in sending your card back is overclock or underclock your video card like 5mhz. For some strange reason it has resolved the problems for many. Its fairly widely known that many 7900gt have issues with Vista and garbled screens.

Kelldane
09-30-07, 01:17 AM
That's true, some have had luck with that. I never had the chance to try it so I can't say for sure, but it sure wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

One thing that has worked for many people if you really aren't interested in sending your card back is overclock or underclock your video card like 5mhz. For some strange reason it has resolved the problems for many. Its fairly widely known that many 7900gt have issues with Vista and garbled screens.

nxsty
10-01-07, 01:56 PM

Actually I think that worked. :) I increased the core and memory clock by 5MHz and now it no longer crashes! Thanks!

DoubleDeuce
10-02-07, 06:37 AM
Actually I think that worked. :) I increased the core and memory clock by 5MHz and now it no longer crashes! Thanks!

NP...that's what places like here are for.