PDA

View Full Version : Pc Gaming Sells more then well!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

SwedX
09-26-07, 06:32 AM
So again to the idiots Pc Gaming dying read up and STOP waisting space with your BS. just STFUK :D

"The games aren't selling worse than console games when you look at the big picture"

A very good read and its NOT bye a Pc fanboy..just staded the facts how it truly is!
Okey we Pc Gamers know the truth but once in a while it feels nice to show the doomsayers things like this and showe it up their arse :D

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2188336,00.asp

nekrosoft13
09-26-07, 07:25 AM
Sales tracking firm NPD said there were "over $970 million" in PC game sales, and $7.4 billion in total game sales. So, roughly a billion in sales for the PC, and $6.4 billion for consoles. Consoles are slaughtering PCs, right? Actually, it's not that simple.

First of all, it's a stacked deck. The PC is one platform, the Xbox 360 is one platform, the PlayStation 3 is one platform, the Nintendo DS is one platform, etc. If you make a game for the PS3, it doesn't magically run on the 360 any more than it magically runs on the PC. PC game sales as tracked by NPD are being beat over 6:1 by the combination of all console platforms. Of course it is! NPD did not provide a breakdown by platform (except for the PC), though. Divvy up that $6.4 billion in console sales into its respective separate platforms: Xbox, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, and PSP. There are at least nine major "console" platforms, each as incomparable to each other as the PC is to consoles, contributing to that $6.4 billion in sales. If the distribution were even (and it's not), you'd have about $711 million per console platform. Now, the PC is leading! Of course, consoles like the PS2, Nintendo DS, and Xbox 360 had the lion's share of game sales, while newer and more expensive systems like the PS3 with a more limited software lineup had less. It's safe to assume, in the absence of specific console-by-console data, that PC game sales fell somewhere in the middle of the pack—behind the top few console systems, and ahead of several others. You could certainly characterize the PC as selling games at retail "just as well" as "the average console system."

If, by NPD's own data, the PC is selling games at retail as well as your "typical" console system, why spell out the doom and gloom message? Is every console that doesn't sit in the top 2 or 3 spots for software sales "doomed" and "failing?" Is it only worthwhile to make games for the Nintendo DS, Xbox 360, and PS2, because that's where all the game sales are? Of course not, and the same is true for the PC.

click on image for full view

But there's even more to it than that. First of all, NPD only tracks retail sales, and only in the U.S.. Yes, the U.S. has the strongest retail games market, but PC games are very popular worldwide. Especially in Europe, and Germany in particular, PC game sales top sales charts. Most importantly, the PC is well ahead of consoles in online game sales—which NPD does not track. Whether it's GameTap, Steam, Direct2Drive, TotalGaming.net, or even the direct download store at the EBgames site, buying games exclusively online is huge on PCs. And that doesn't even include things like recurring payments or digital item sales for online games like World of Warcraft. Research firm Strategy Analytics said that the global online games market generated over $3.8 billion in revenue in 2006, and is growing at over 25% per year. Yes, some of that is buying downloadable content on Xbox Live Arcade, Playstation Network, or Wii Virtual Console, but the money pulled in by those are a drop in the bucket, globally, to the online revenue generated by PC game sales.

SwedX
09-26-07, 07:40 AM
Here in Sweden for ex Pc gaming sales slaughter console sales.

Allways been that way and for sure it will continue. hell Pc gaming sales is in the rising globaly and by MS GFW iniative even more ppl get into Pc gaming!

Some devs and even ppl from MS themself said that in the future it may only be Pc and consoles as we know it will/can be vanished.
It may only be simple consoles as Nintendos Wii couse its easy and cheap to devleop and they get their money back fast. so highend gaming will belong to the Pc only as it should ;)

nekrosoft13
09-26-07, 07:46 AM
in Poland its the same thing.

example Bioshock

PC version = 90 zl = 33.6187 USD
http://www.merlin.com.pl/frontend/browse/product/8,543717.html

360 version = 245 zl = 91.5176 USD
http://www.merlin.com.pl/frontend/browse/product/8,539538.html

Second Example Call of Juarez

PC version = 45 zl = 16.8127 USD
http://www.merlin.com.pl/frontend/browse/product/8,474108.html

360 version = 182 zl = 67.9981 USD
http://www.merlin.com.pl/frontend/browse/product/8,541381.html

hmm, which one is a better deal?

pretty much NO ONE buys consoles in Europe

WeReWoLf
09-26-07, 07:51 AM
Pretty much same deal for Australia too, except for the "Casual" gamers who really only play like 10 hours a week. I bought Lost Planet a few months back at $75 new, i can pick it up now for $55 - 60. Xbox 360 version is STILL $112.

Logical
09-26-07, 07:54 AM
It might be worth posting that quote on a few of the developers forums like EA, in a bid to stop them giving us consolized games.

SwedX
09-26-07, 08:15 AM
For an ex.
"The days of the dedicated gaming console are numbered. There is one more generation of gaming consoles and that's it," he exclaimed, explaining that the potential of PCs would soon render the likes of the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Wii obsolete.

Our advantage as developers is we know what is coming," he said. "And what is coming is far ahead of the console. You will see a huge difference between what you can get on a PC (personal computer) and a console."

http://www.gamersquad.com/category/PC/PC-gaming-to-kill-off-home-consoles/

SwedX
09-26-07, 08:16 AM
in Poland its the same thing.

example Bioshock

PC version = 90 zl = 33.6187 USD
http://www.merlin.com.pl/frontend/browse/product/8,543717.html

360 version = 245 zl = 91.5176 USD
http://www.merlin.com.pl/frontend/browse/product/8,539538.html

Second Example Call of Juarez

PC version = 45 zl = 16.8127 USD
http://www.merlin.com.pl/frontend/browse/product/8,474108.html

360 version = 182 zl = 67.9981 USD
http://www.merlin.com.pl/frontend/browse/product/8,541381.html

hmm, which one is a better deal?

pretty much NO ONE buys consoles in Europe

And that shows how much smarter ppl are in Europe as we atleast can handle a Pc and prefer it over a crappy toybox :D

nekrosoft13
09-26-07, 08:18 AM
only 2 companies that charge more for PC games are EA and Microsoft. For new releases they usually sell for about 120-130zl. while the console version still sells for around 220-270zl

glObalist
09-26-07, 08:24 AM
Yes, thanks to WoW sales. Everything else can be and is warezed out of the box.

nekrosoft13
09-26-07, 08:26 AM
Yes, thanks to WoW sales. Everything else can be and is warezed out of the box.

did you even read the article?

NPD only tracks retail sales, and only in the U.S.. Yes, the U.S. has the strongest retail games market, but PC games are very popular worldwide. Especially in Europe, and Germany in particular, PC game sales top sales charts. Most importantly, the PC is well ahead of consoles in online game sales—which NPD does not track. Whether it's GameTap, Steam, Direct2Drive, TotalGaming.net, or even the direct download store at the EBgames site, buying games exclusively online is huge on PCs. And that doesn't even include things like recurring payments or digital item sales for online games like World of Warcraft.

glObalist
09-26-07, 08:31 AM
Yes I have. WoW also sells in boxes (as in, you buy it as any regular game) FYI.

jcrox
09-26-07, 09:17 AM
Crysis will add a good 150 to 200 million to that number..... in the 1st month :D

Madpistol
09-26-07, 09:23 AM
Crysis will add a good 150 to 200 million to that number..... in the 1st month :D

QFT.

Don't forget about UT3. The Unreal Tournament series just sucks on a controller w/ a thumbstick. There is almost no feel to the game that way. The ONLY way to play it is with a keyboard, mouse, and a huge LCD monitor. :D

Mangler
09-26-07, 09:25 AM
Don't forget about UT3. The Unreal Tournament series just sucks on consoles. The ONLY way to play it is with a keyboard, mouse, and a huge LCD monitor. :D

You can actually play ut3 like that on the ps3, as the game has mouse/kb support.

Mods+the fact that you can tweak your settings makes the pc-version #1 imo.

BioHazZarD
09-26-07, 09:44 AM
console games here are way to expensive i agree.

nekrosoft13
09-26-07, 09:54 AM
in my country if you go into a game store, you will see that 80% of store is PC games, while 20% is shared between consoles, mostly PS2. People simply don't want to spend 3-4 times more for a game.

six_storm
09-26-07, 10:07 AM
PC hardware and software sells are going up for sure, mainly because some GOOD games are finally coming out for the first time in 3 years. Seriously, HL2 was the last PC game that really interested me. Then, the 360 came out and there have been some great games for it so far. But now that Crysis, TF2, Portal and UT3 are coming out, I'm actually excited about upgrading my rig and doing some fragging on the KBM.

Crap on the consoles all you want, but IMO, it ALL comes down to the games. I dunno how many times I've said that on this particular forum! I go where the games are, not where the graphics, audio or raw horsepower are.

SwedX
09-26-07, 10:38 AM
PC hardware and software sells are going up for sure, mainly because some GOOD games are finally coming out for the first time in 3 years. Seriously, HL2 was the last PC game that really interested me. Then, the 360 came out and there have been some great games for it so far. But now that Crysis, TF2, Portal and UT3 are coming out, I'm actually excited about upgrading my rig and doing some fragging on the KBM.

Crap on the consoles all you want, but IMO, it ALL comes down to the games. I dunno how many times I've said that on this particular forum! I go where the games are, not where the graphics, audio or raw horsepower are.

Yeah finaly some very impressive games are coming out, or is out allready.
Pc Gaming is defenetly in an upswing and btw I like to trash talk console now and then but when it all comes down I really doesent hate em, just sometimes haha!

I have owned most of the consoles and I surely will get one again when I got a HDTV.
Who want to miss out Sonys exlusives annyway :)

XDanger
09-26-07, 05:04 PM
The PC game chart over here has consisted of "The Sims" for the last 5 years or so, That and "Driving Theory Test" :retard:

Riplayne
09-26-07, 08:54 PM
Also don't forget the fact that Elderscrolls Oblivion broke PC Game sales records when it came out last year.

Sidric
09-26-07, 09:03 PM
It might be worth posting that quote on a few of the developers forums like EA, in a bid to stop them giving us consolized games.

no offense meant to you trixteh, but if I hear or see that word one more time I'm going into kitten killing mode :headexplode:

|MaguS|
09-26-07, 09:10 PM
Also don't forget the fact that Elderscrolls Oblivion broke PC Game sales records when it came out last year.

PC Games record is acouple million and it didn't break the record because The Sims (10 Mill I think) is still the best selling PC Game of all time.

No matter how any of you put it, Console games sell far more then PC games are bring in far more profit. Take a look at Halo 3... $170 Million in just 24 hours, It is said that that game alone will put MS's Console division in the black.

Every company now wants to try to get a Halo 3...

CaptNKILL
09-26-07, 10:12 PM
no offense meant to you trixteh, but if I hear or see that word one more time I'm going into kitten killing mode :headexplode:
*readies video camera and lets loose 2 dozen kittens*

This is gonna be sweet...

Consolized

:captnkill:

jcrox
09-26-07, 11:03 PM
No matter how any of you put it, Console games sell far more then PC games are bring in far more profit. Take a look at Halo 3... $170 Million in just 24 hours, It is said that that game alone will put MS's Console division in the black.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

actually, if you look at the numbers, each individual game for each individual system does NOT sell far more than PC games with exception of Mario.