PDA

View Full Version : how is the ps3 wifi?

tornadog
09-26-07, 12:30 PM
I am trying to make all my consoles wireless so I can reduce the wire clutter in my living room. The wii wireless works great, my router is about 30 feet away from where the wii is.Does The ps3 wifi work at that range?

|MaguS|
09-26-07, 12:33 PM
It should...

LurkerLito
09-26-07, 12:37 PM
I think YMMV. I use to use the wireless on my PS3 and overall I had no issues with it for the most part, but once I put in the wire I noticed a pretty good boost in speed so I switched to a wired only connection. For me the wii is a much more problematic wifi device. It works but it required me to tweak my router for it to work right.

|MaguS|
09-26-07, 12:39 PM
I use the Wifi for my PS3 wuith no issues, speed is great aswell. I can stream media to my PS3 without any issue.

Odral
09-26-07, 01:16 PM
I use the Wifi for my PS3 wuith no issues, speed is great aswell. I can stream media to my PS3 without any issue.

Same here. I have no problems at all with my PS3 and Wifi. Speeds are good too.

christos
09-26-07, 01:27 PM
PS3 wifi is fine here. I have my router in an office, the ps3 in my living room - there are about 40 ft and 4 walls in between. No issues.

Lyme
09-26-07, 03:59 PM
Milage may vary depending on where you put the ps3 and all the things between your ps3 and your router. Also depending on what cordless phone you have, it may interfere with your wireless signal. But as everyone else has said "it should work".

nrdstrm
09-26-07, 10:20 PM
Mine works great as well...When I first got it the speeds seemed very slow, but lately it seems to have picked up steam...I'm not sure if it was due to an update or not...Either way it's always worked fine for me, and it's about 30 feet away with 1 wall in between...

3DBrad
09-26-07, 11:09 PM
When I had my PS3, it kept resetting firmware downloads using wireless, so I had to run an ethernet chord to it (using a Linksys wireless G router).

But honestly, go play Battlefield 2 on wireless for a while, while flying a jet, and see why I don't like wireless for gaming.

However, the ironic thing is, I'm using a wirless connection for now, until I figure out how to run another ethernet chord to my PC (moved it), while not having it run across the floor in the den or dining room, or without messing with a vent, trying to snake the chord from the downstairs basement. :D

|MaguS|
09-26-07, 11:47 PM
When I had my PS3, it kept resetting firmware downloads using wireless, so I had to run an ethernet chord to it (using a Linksys wireless G router).

But honestly, go play Battlefield 2 on wireless for a while, while flying a jet, and see why I don't like wireless for gaming.

However, the ironic thing is, I'm using a wirless connection for now, until I figure out how to run another ethernet chord to my PC (moved it), while not having it run across the floor in the den or dining room, or without messing with a vent, trying to snake the chord from the downstairs basement. :D

Yes because a single game is a good example of how every game will react. I game on my PS3 just fine, never notice any lag ever and I play Warhawk...

crainger
09-27-07, 03:38 AM
I had to go back to cable with my PS3. I assume the problem lies with my Netgear RangeMax. Nothing works well with it. Not my PS3, 360, Laptop or PDA. If it didn't look so cool I would have ditched the damn thing years ago. :D

christos
09-27-07, 09:12 AM
I used to have a rangemax and everything worked great with it (note, I do not have any wireless phones). Now I have the modem/router that came with verizon fios and if anything, things are a bit slower as the signal is a bit weaker.

Anyone want my netgear rangemax for a fair price?

nrdstrm
09-29-07, 12:00 AM
I used to have a rangemax and everything worked great with it (note, I do not have any wireless phones). Now I have the modem/router that came with verizon fios and if anything, things are a bit slower as the signal is a bit weaker.

What router are you using? I have the Actiontec MI424WR and it has been very good for me...

Mr_LoL
09-29-07, 01:22 AM
Got mine connected to the BT home hub. No problems. Very speedy.

crainger
09-29-07, 10:29 AM

:o My router is pretty close to my cordless phone. I really should rearrange it. :D

Lyme
09-30-07, 12:28 AM
:o My router is pretty close to my cordless phone. I really should rearrange it. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11#802.11g

You'll notice that 802.11b/g, and half of 802.11n use 2.4ghz as their frequency, because of this it is your best bet not to get a 2.4ghz cordless phone. If you already have the cordless phone of that frequency you can try using a different channel.

Wavern
09-30-07, 02:28 PM
I just bought an xbox 360 and since the ps3 has wireless I figured I'd give the wired connection to the 360 and wireless on the ps3. I have no clue what the problem was with that setup but wow.. ps3 didn't like it. Network drops all over the place but looking at the signal strength it showed 90%.

The only thing I can think of that would mess with it is the 360 controllers use 2.4ghz to communicate.