PDA

View Full Version : PGR's Future uncertain?

|MaguS|
09-26-07, 11:05 PM
If you haven't heard, Activision has purchased Bizarre Creations, the development studio behind the Project Gotham Series. The question is now what will happen to future PGR titles aswell as who will finish PGR5, will Bizarre finish it or will MS take over? Will it affect anything that hasn't been implemented yet?

MS has plans to continue the series (Duh!) since its a great selling series that shouldn't die. The only question is, can they follow Bizarre in creating a great racing game...

Link to Acquisition of Bizarre (http://kotaku.com/gaming/pwned/activision-makes-bizarre-acquisition-303832.php)

Link to Article of MS's Response (http://kotaku.com/gaming/jumping-the-ship/microsoft-responds-to-bizarre-acquisition-304189.php)

Lyme
09-26-07, 11:53 PM
If PGR is Microsoft IP, it is very likely that MS owns the code as well. Bizarre may need to write the Activision racing engine from scratch. True they have the talent to do so, but these things take time.

toxikneedle
09-27-07, 12:35 AM
pgr4 is gonna go down the toilet..... at least imo.

So, there won't really be a need for a 5th.

LiquidX
09-27-07, 12:46 AM

It scored a 10 in the latest OXM UK while Halo received a 9 so that may be a hint of how it will fair here.

I don't think it will be a major blow but I figured MS would have bought them before seeing them get acquired by another company.

NaitoSan
09-27-07, 01:46 AM
wow i'm surprised microsoft didn't buy bizarre while they had chance. i'm curious if microsoft has something else in mind. yeah, i don't think it's a major blow for them.

kev13dd
09-27-07, 02:17 AM

Heck ya. I mean, I bet that the game that went gold and has already begun getting good reviews is ganna BLOW. Chunks even

K

Badboy_12345
09-27-07, 06:01 AM
wow i'm surprised microsoft didn't buy bizarre while they had chance. i'm curious if microsoft has something else in mind. yeah, i don't think it's a major blow for them.

yeah its really strange that they didnt buy em..
I always thought they did..

sytaylor
09-27-07, 07:11 AM
Considering SEGA used to be (and maybe still are) a major share holder, its quite interesting what could happen with Bizzare. Most likley PGR will become an activision owned Franchise, and activision have hopes of spreading it across the formats. Bizzare took the Metropolis Street Racer code from the DC and made PGR1, so I don't see why that couldn't happen again.

nekrosoft13
09-27-07, 07:16 AM
Considering SEGA used to be (and maybe still are) a major share holder, its quite interesting what could happen with Bizzare. Most likley PGR will become an activision owned Franchise, and activision have hopes of spreading it across the formats. Bizzare took the Metropolis Street Racer code from the DC and made PGR1, so I don't see why that couldn't happen again.

They could take PGR4 code, change it up again and move it to other platforms.

sytaylor
09-27-07, 07:36 AM
Yeah, I dont think there is anything against working from IP code that they built, so long as they don't use the PGR4 code exactly.

|MaguS|
09-27-07, 09:13 AM
Bizarre owns the code since its their engine, the only thing MS owns is the IP. Kind of how Monolith can still use their engine for the FEAR Sequel but can't use the name due to Seirra owning the IP.

Lyme
09-27-07, 10:37 AM
Bizarre owns the code since its their engine, the only thing MS owns is the IP. Kind of how Monolith can still use their engine for the FEAR Sequel but can't use the name due to Seirra owning the IP.

In which case Activision should have a new game on their hands pretty quick. It isn't like most racing games are strikingly different from each other.

toxikneedle
09-27-07, 11:00 AM
Heck ya. I mean, I bet that the game that went gold and has already begun getting good reviews is ganna BLOW. Chunks even

K
I didn't mean quality wise, I'm thinking its not gonna sell a lot.

nekrosoft13
09-27-07, 11:26 AM
In which case Activision should have a new game on their hands pretty quick. It isn't like most racing games are strikingly different from each other.

maybe it will be multi-platform too, they did state that they have PGR running on other platforms, just couldn't release them.