PDA

View Full Version : Antialiasing in Splinter Cell not working?

RobHague
04-09-03, 06:08 PM
Is this a driver thing? Or something to do with the game?

Because no matter what i set, 2x,4x,8x, 16x!! it makes no difference at all. The jaggies look the same and the game performs no different.

People with other cards had any luck getting it working?

jAkUp
04-09-03, 06:12 PM
its a known game problem with splinter cell... both nvidia and ati have the problem

RobHague
04-09-03, 06:15 PM
Ah :(

Have you seen this little 'glitch' btw? Look at the clouds in the sky :S

jAkUp
04-09-03, 06:20 PM
what exactly are you trying to point out?? im a little confused at what was wrong with the clouds but i havent noticed any problems on the splinter cell demo.. they do have a patch out however, have you tried that?

RobHague
04-09-03, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by jAkUp
what exactly are you trying to point out?? im a little confused at what was wrong with the clouds but i havent noticed any problems on the splinter cell demo.. they do have a patch out however, have you tried that?

Ignore the smoke, and look straight up at the clouds. They look blocky yeah? wierd colours? :)

I havent tried the patch no, i was at their site and i didnt see any in the downloads section :S ill have another look.

jAkUp
04-09-03, 06:29 PM
ahhh.. i see what your talking about... i dunno if i have that problem or not, i havent really noticed....

well, anways you can download the patch from here
http://www.3dgamers.com/games/splintercell/

RobHague
04-09-03, 06:49 PM
thanks for the link :) and i only noticed that sky thing by chance hehe.

saturnotaku
04-09-03, 09:35 PM
Wow, hadn't really noticed the sky thing and I could give a crap about that. What really gets my goat with this is lights shining through walls with AA enabled. That's far more annoying if you ask me.

gravioli
04-09-03, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by RobHague

They look pretty normal to me. :confused: They don't look blocky to me. The colors don't seem out of place either; they look like they are reflecting lights from the city or a fire. I just had my eyes checked recently too. :)

MuFu
04-10-03, 06:12 AM
I think the official line from UbiSoft was that they don't currently support FSAA, but may add support in the next patch.

I get the lighting errors too. Annoying. :mad:

MuFu.

RobHague
04-10-03, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by gravioli
They look pretty normal to me. :confused: They don't look blocky to me. The colors don't seem out of place either; they look like they are reflecting lights from the city or a fire. I just had my eyes checked recently too. :)

Turn your monitor/screen brightness up as high as it will go and you will see what i mean. :)

Shame about the FSAA though, i didnt think it was something the application had to 'support' either. Hope they sort it, its a nice looking game but it really needs AA. :D

saturnotaku
04-10-03, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by MuFu
I think the official line from UbiSoft was that they don't currently support FSAA, but may add support in the next patch.

That's a pretty stupid stance, especially considering that modern graphics hardware can do some degree of AA without too much of a performance hit. :rolleyes:

MuFu
04-10-03, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
That's a pretty stupid stance, especially considering that modern graphics hardware can do some degree of AA without too much of a performance hit. :rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly. I think the game was rushed out to be honest.

Plus, it's an X-Box port so they probably never even considered checking FSAA works in the early stages of development.

MuFu.

stncttr908
04-10-03, 09:11 AM
In reviews I've seen the game with FSAA enabled...if you guys can't get it working how did they?

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDQ0LDM=

saturnotaku
04-10-03, 09:29 AM
FSAA does "work" in that you notice reduced jaggies. However, when you enable FSAA (at least on ATI cards) lights start to shine through walls, which pretty much ruined the experience for me.

Of course, I didn't really like the game in the first place but the fact that FSAA doesn't work properly is icing on the cake.

AngelGraves13
04-11-03, 12:10 AM
it's working fine on 43.45 drivers!

The Baron
04-11-03, 12:19 AM
My thoughts exactly. I think the game was rushed out to be honest.

No, somebody rushed out a game?! Perish the thought.

Then, read the MOO3 list of bugs to be fixed in the first patch... *shudder*

Seems kind of odd that FSAA is broken though if it uses the Unreal engine.

tEd
04-11-03, 06:16 AM
there will be a patch which resolves the AA problem.

The recently released dx9a get around a limitation of having MSAA and multisample buffer effects in the same frame

DaveW
04-11-03, 08:30 AM
The problem exists on ATI and nVidia cards. The same problem exists on Silent Hill 2 when you use the flashlight. Whatever API is being used to convert these PS2 titles to PC has issues with FSAA, probably because PS2 developers have never heard of it ;).

Bambers
04-11-03, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by RobHague

You've got the preference slider on balanced (or possibly even aggressive - urgh) in the drivers? (or 'quality' as its now labelled).

afaik as well as its affects on trilinear and AF also enables a kind of texture compression resulting in the blockyness of the sky in that shot, put the slider to application preference.

If that won't fix it then its something to do with the game.

Rogozhin
04-11-03, 01:12 PM
You can use AA if you enable night vision, while looking away from light sources, and then turn it off. Now you have AA without the lights shining through the walls.

Worked for me as I took a large fps drop and the jaggies were noticably gone.

Rogo

The Punisher
04-12-03, 05:46 AM
I purposely upraded to a Leadtek GF4 Ti4800 SE 128MB DDR so that I could enjoy a jaggie-free Splinter Cell (previously playing on Leadtek GF2 MX 64MB with AA disabled for better performance) but was utterly horrified to find it still full of jaggies even with the newest Det 43.45!!! I've tried the Leadtek driver that came with the card & AA seemed to work but I got the same problem as Saturnotaku with lights shining thru everything & a small hit to 3DMark scores. The new 1.1 patch for SC didn't help at all. My guess is Det 43.45 has some bugs to iron out as AA also doesn't work in Medal of Honor, even with patch 1.11 installed. So now I just have to be patient & wait for the next Det release & hope that nVidia has at least the sense to improve on the driver's compatibility & functionality to be on par with (or better than) the older certified 30.82 ver which everybody (including myself) thinks is the most perfect Det ver ever released. Although I'm a faithful nVidia supporter & the thought of going ATi has never crossed my mind, I doubt there are many people as patient as me in the world.

Rogozhin
04-12-03, 11:51 AM
Try my little trick above.

rogo