PDA

View Full Version : For those are knowledgeable about drivers I have a question.

LiquidX
04-09-03, 06:12 PM
The card is Ti4200 the drivers in question or Nvida's latest on P4. 2.53, 512 PC800 RDRam,running XP home.

But before my question.....

1-I Overclocked my system a few back with a very well known overclocker app and on the restart and testing of a game my fans spin rate rose dramatically than it normally would. I undid everything and did a restore everything was fine. I said the hell with over-clocking.

2-I recently updated my drivers to the latest Det's and my system is racing like when I occurred it. I roll back and do a system restore and the problems is solved. Three times have have done this and it is very apparent my fans speed increased and I also got a few blue screens on my games.

I want to keep these new drivers because I see great change in games I play on multi. The change in MOH and BF42 on my system is very noticeable.

So my question is to you guys ..I was just told drivers have nothing to do with fans but I think they do because of my above arguments. Am I wrong…and if so does anyone know why my system which I have had for awhile and know it inside out would increase in noise only with a change in my video card settings?

My main fan is heat sensitive as well as the cards fan I am sure but should a driver update be causing this increase in fan speeds which was not there before? Am I just over worrying?

I have been using the card now for about 8 months so you can say I now its ways. What it likes and dislikes. I it seems to hate these drivers.

I know this was long so thank you in advance to whoever takes the time.

digitalwanderer
04-09-03, 06:24 PM
...that the newer drivers make more aggressive use of the memory on the cards. My GF3 was locking up in UT2k3 after updating the drivers, clocking back fixed it.

It could very well be that the new drivers are making your card run a bit hotter which would make your fans spin a bit faster...there's just no fix I could think of except to lower your clockspeeds on the card a bit using rivatuner or something, but the very idea strikes me as sacreligous. ;)

LiquidX
04-09-03, 10:02 PM
Thank you for your input digitalwander but I also agree clocking back will be sacreligous. I am inclined to belive what you say about aggressive use of the memory on the cards.

I have have gotten some oppsosition to my claim that these new drivers have been making my fans race from another topic. The thing is I tried to prove myself wrong twice again by installing the new drivers again and my fans sped faster and louder I then did a uninstall and restore and back to normal.

I dont know; people are telling me its not the drivers but what else could it be? Oh well.

R.Carter
04-10-03, 07:11 AM
As far as I know, GeForce4 video cards don't generally have speed variable fans. I'm assuming your talking about your video card fan and not some other fan.

Of course your video card manufacturer could have added one.

What video card do you have?

LiquidX
04-10-03, 09:21 AM
Its a Ti4200 64MB by MSI.

No one seems to believe me:(

digitalwanderer
04-10-03, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by LiquidX
Its a Ti4200 64MB by MSI.

No one seems to believe me:(

Please don't mistake our surprise as disbelief; we DO believe you, it's just sort of weird and we've never really heard of it.

That does NOT mean we think you're lying or it ain't happening. :)

Do you have rivatuner installed? Under the low-level OCing options there's a "more" button which lets you set the more esoteric and advanced (read "esoteric and advanced" as "I really ain't got a clue about what they do, but they look really technical" ;) ) options. I'd suggest you load up the drivers that DON'T make your fans spin fast and check what those settings are, then load up the set that DOES make your fans spin fast and check to see what has changed.

It's just a thought, but it's something to try. :)