PDA

View Full Version : Back from noobland... with more questions

callthecops
09-27-07, 08:48 PM
so, my 8800 gtx arrived and my dad installed it correctly im assuming (yay). he installed software for the card and now my vista is running smoothly.
i just have one problem. one of my techie friends (one that i was showing off my gtx to and one who is EXTREMELY envious lol) said that my gtx is running quite hot. like as in 69degCelsius hot, when im doing NOTHING. is this normal? at least its stable at 69 and not going up any further. but still im concerned cuz as far as i know, this is one EXPENSIVE card and i dont feel like busting it in the first few weeks cuz of heat problems.
any way to increase the cards fan speed? he told me that gtx's usually are at 60% of fan speed capacity when straight outta the box and that raising it to 100% would lower my gtx temperature by at least 10 degC (god knows HOW he knows all this information). as u all probably already know, im a noob so i dont want to manually physically do anything to the card to tweak the fan speed (and if thats the only way to do it then im just gonna let go of this heat issue or maybe supplement the sonata III case fan with an extra fan).
thanks yall. respect.
o yeah, and if any of u have any other suggestions (beside card fan speed increase and buying an extra fan) on cooling down my gtx then PLEASE inform this technology ignorant brain of mine.:headexplode:

callthecops
09-27-07, 08:51 PM
an idea just popped into my head (might not be a good one lol). if i take off one of the side of the sonata III case, will that help in any way to reduce overall heat inside the case? it does make logical sense in terms of chemistry and transfer of heat energy to the exterior (lol). feedback pls

callthecops
09-27-07, 09:02 PM
omg another question (sorry folks, bare with me)
if i do somehow manage to crank up my gtx fan speed to its max potential, will that have any harmful effects on the gtx card (either short or long term)? like, will it "wear out" my card any faster than if i just left it at 60%? seems like a paradoxical question, but i was just wondering about this cuz there mustve been a reason why the manufacturer set the cards fan speed at 60% default. or is that just my paranoia?

pross
09-27-07, 09:05 PM
My GTX idles around 70C and hits 85C when in game...apparently its quite common

callthecops
09-27-07, 09:17 PM
btw i have two fans. one of them is the fan that is included with the sonata III case at the back. and i also have some zalman fan thing over motherboard (it faces me when i open the side and look in, like they spin perpendicular to my view. my dad knows some stuff about computers so he mustve installed it properly). also theres an adjustor knob attached to the back that controls that zalman fan speed.
my fourth and probably last question is, are those two fans enough for my gtx (and plus the gtx's own fan of course)?

okeefe58
09-27-07, 10:40 PM
me again ctc -i'm keepin an eye on u -you could get one of these -http://www.svc.com/spectrumfancard.html -theres many other brands out there -radio shack has a few -circuitcity-bestbuy -you can adjust fan speed with the new nvidia drivers and ntune installed (maybe coolbits also) from within the control panel, change the view to custom and check all boxes-then find accept user agreement in the options-after you do, then adjust gpu settings will appear-you can adjust fan in this option-you can figure it out-i have faith in you noobhopper-dont worry about installing these two programs-all they do is open hidden options that are already there--taking off your side cover will help

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=815
http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_2.00.23.html

callthecops
09-27-07, 11:41 PM
thanks for ur response. but can u also answer my last two questions? that is i) will changing fan speed to 100% harm my gtx in anyway in the long run? ii) are my fans adequate? (1 rear sonata III case fan + zalman fan over my cpu + gtx fan)
thx:)

okeefe58
09-28-07, 03:16 AM
well, in theory just like any mechanical part, the more u use it, the closer to the end of total life hours u are -but six of one of-half a dozen the other- if it cools yours chips more, then your extending the chips life-in the end, you have to just quit worrying about that kind of stuff and just use it- if anything happened to the fan, it should shut down the pc before it damaged anything -should- but then you have to find that the fans stopped and not keep turning on the pc saying why wont this damn thing stay on? and whats that red glow coming from my card? (i keed, i keed) did you get to the fan control nvidia screen? its pretty cool the way u adjust percentage of fan to temp-you see people putting 16 fans in there case and it might help, but really that one back side fan is gonna create all the suck in push out circulation needed. if you take off the side cover, you lose the flow designed into the case, but i keep mine off anyway, with a window screen i made in its place -good and hokey just the way i like it

Jon
09-28-07, 03:58 PM
Just checked, mine is idling at 67 degrees and I'm freezing my nuts off in this room.

Its quite normal for a gpu ... gpus usually throttle around 110 degrees to avoid damage... but <90 I would say is nothing to worry about and I wouldn't bother messing around with fans, etc.

SOAD
09-28-07, 06:40 PM
buy a HR-03 and a 90mm or 120mm fan ;)

callthecops
09-28-07, 07:34 PM
buy a HR-03 and a 90mm or 120mm fan ;)

what is hr-03? and where can i buy one in toronto (canada)?

callthecops
09-28-07, 09:22 PM
ok i just read up the installation on hr-03 on their website, and i got scared...=( that thing requires removing parts of the card itself which is something i would NEVER even think about trying.
is there like a fan that i ca n place either below or above the gtx card to improve airflow and thus cool it further? because the rear of the case has a few of the "ports" that the gtx itself attached to, and im wondering whether i can attach a fan there. like a slot card fan or something. lol wow ppl i do realize that my lack of computer vocab is making me look absolutely retarded on this forum

okeefe58
09-29-07, 04:07 AM
"is there like a fan that i can place either below or above the gtx card to improve airflow and thus cool it further?"

ctc -I'm getting a little discouraged with u--whats the point of trying to help, if u don't even read the answers? -uuhhh -like 2 posts ago? (quote from me) "you could get one of these -http://www.svc.com/spectrumfancard.html -there's many other brands out there -radio shack has a few -circuitcity-bestbuy" i.e. slotfans? how many boobs could a noobie noob if a noobie could noob boobs? -noobie boobie

XDanger
09-29-07, 11:09 AM
I have a pci slot blower (sucking the hot air off the heatsink fins) next to my gts ,currently idle @ 49c ,fan @ 60% was 10c more before.

Didnt have to break the card open to get good cooling but its not quiet. There some blowers with a switch
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=77194 it takes up 2 slots though

Theres not much point blowing LOTS of air at a card that has its parts covered up, those Vantec things will also add extra turbulence to the inside of your case and recirculate hot air.

Not knowing techno geekisms makes nobody seem retarded in the slightest.

lOOK i DONE A PITCHA :)
http://shutter14.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/12/007/6F/ED/06/36/M90BUu1+nCoaBiMuYxb22XW9UzLNh-Lb028B.jpg

okeefe58
09-29-07, 05:06 PM
that one you suggest is probably better -but your just plain wrong that there's no point in a slot fan -my card dropped 15f AND everything else in the case a few degrees -for something you can get for a ten spot -I'd say that's pretty good

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2211698&cp=2032061.2063031.2063071&pg=1&allCount=111&fbn=Price%2F%246.00+-+%249.99&fbc=1&retainProdsInSession=1&fr=StorePrice%2FRSK%2F00000600%2F00000999&numProdsPerPage=100&parentPage=family

i just pray no higher ups at antec see your drawings -god knows how many engineers and designers might lose their jobs -i hope u can sleep tonight!

callthecops
09-29-07, 10:47 PM
anyone know where i can buy a thermalright hr-11? that thing looks a HELLUVA lot simpler than hr-03 since i dont have to remove anything from the gtx card and just simply screw it on at the back =) for me, simpler=better
and reading the hardwarecanucks review on hr-11, theyve already tried it on a similar computer setup as mine (that is, 8800 gtx + antec sonata III case) so compatibility wont be much of an issue with hr-11. so anybody with information on where to get the hr-11 cheapest?

callthecops
10-01-07, 10:56 AM
anyone know where i can buy a thermalright hr-11? that thing looks a HELLUVA lot simpler than hr-03 since i dont have to remove anything from the gtx card and just simply screw it on at the back =) for me, simpler=better
and reading the hardwarecanucks review on hr-11, theyve already tried it on a similar computer setup as mine (that is, 8800 gtx + antec sonata III case) so compatibility wont be much of an issue with hr-11. so anybody with information on where to get the hr-11 cheapest?

anybody? =(

Raje
10-01-07, 02:07 PM
I wouldn't mess with the card at all unless it's getting over 90 under load, or whatever number you choose for yourself. 90 is the number that I am happy with staying under (for now at least).

My stock EVGA 8800GTX idles at 78C with the ~60% fan duty cycle.

Under load it gets up to 82C and I haven't seen it over that yet.

Other temps from my system:

Idle: CPU1: 45C CPU2: 48C System Temp: 34C

Load (Several Hours of QWET): CPU1: 53C CPU2: 55C System Temp: 38C

Things that I have done in order to get these temps down to this level:

-Removed the silly see-through part from the case door (removing the case door should help as was suggested above).
-Took the 120mm fan that used to blow out the back of my case and now have it blowing towards my CPUs via zip ties (classy).

When it comes to cooling, the name of the game is flow. Establish air flow in your case that makes sense. For me that meant playing with what fans I had where and which way they were facing.

I found out pretty quickly that having that fan exiting air out the back of my case was actually 1) pulling hot air up from where the 8800gtx is to the CPUs and 2) pulling hot air from CPU2 to CPU1 as it left the case.

Other things that I have tried:
-Card Slot Cooler: When I still had my 7800gtx it lowered the temps on my system and 7800gtx (with after market Zalman cooling solution) by quite a lot (~10c), but with the 8800gtx it doesn't help and actually ends up raising temps (~2 to ~3C higher temps at idle on the CPUs; no change on the 8800gtx).

XDanger
10-01-07, 04:12 PM
that one you suggest is probably better -but your just plain wrong that there's no point in a slot fan -my card dropped 15f AND everything else in the case a few degrees -for something you can get for a ten spot -I'd say that's pretty good

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2211698&cp=2032061.2063031.2063071&pg=1&allCount=111&fbn=Price%2F%246.00+-+%249.99&fbc=1&retainProdsInSession=1&fr=StorePrice%2FRSK%2F00000600%2F00000999&numProdsPerPage=100&parentPage=family

i just pray no higher ups at antec see your drawings -god knows how many engineers and designers might lose their jobs -i hope u can sleep tonight!
Wait! What?
My picture shows a pci slot fan/blower like the one I use thats lowered my heats by 10c
The Vantec fan is designed I think for cooling something with no sinks on the graphics ram, Like a really low end card do have, or an open style aftermarket cooler with separate uncovered sinks (Like Raje's Zalman), Or even the OTHER side of a graphics card if you swap the leads around.

Mine is not silent so thats why I suggest the type with a speed switch,
Im sure there was a 2 tone brown pci SINGLE slot fan around With a switch, cant seem to see it anywhere now though.

THE HR-11 IS ADDITIONAL COOLING HOPE YOU REALISE calthecops

Buckeye
10-01-07, 05:49 PM
I read over on the Nvidia SLI forums that these temps are normal and it should kick up the fan when it reaches a certian temp. I would have to go back and see what that was as it was awhile ago. I ended up not messing around with any fan speed programs like RT or even nTune and just leave mine on auto. Everything has been just fine for sometime now.

I just use nTune for the temp monitoring features.

I did run accross one of these Jetart SF2100 awhile ago but never ended up purchasing one. It might be useful to some people tho.

http://www.3dvelocity.com/reviews/sf2100/sf2100.htm

Raje
10-01-07, 09:48 PM
I read over on the Nvidia SLI forums that these temps are normal and it should kick up the fan when it reaches a certian temp.

Mine does.

when it gets to around 80c the fan duty cycle goes up to ~70% and the temp stabilizes.

Saintster
10-01-07, 11:18 PM
Just leave it alone you going mess something up i can just feel it