PDA

View Full Version : File Planet Subs : Yay or Nay?

Noodles
09-27-07, 09:58 PM
As I was glancing over the first page of the official Crysis Beta Feedback thread... I noticed tons of you complaining you couldnt get the key, despite being paid members.

Now this broguht up two points of interest for me.

1. Wow, a lot of you guys have paid subs.
2. Wow, those subs don't seem to be hitting where it counts?

Drop a review of your experience having a PAID subscription to FP as opposed to freeloaders like me.

I admit it does suck waiting an hour to get a file on occasion.

-Dane

Brimstone7
09-27-07, 10:58 PM
I've been a member of Fileplanet for a few years now (5 maybe) and I've never regretted it. I see a lot of complaints about "I should have to pay for a beta test!" and that's true, but you're actually paying for a lot of stuff here. There are tons of files on their site (patches and demos for plenty of old games), they have this "hitpoints" system where you can get free games once in a while, and many times they get exclusive access to demos and betas.

Things ARE changing recently where now even subscribers have to "reserve" demo or beta keys. I don't agree with this policy, but so far these things are pretty rare. I suspect this may become more and more common as time goes on, at which time I'll reconsider my subscription. One other thing that bugs me is their search engine: I type in Quake 4 and I get nothing, I have to type in Quake IV. The search feature is not smart at all and makes finding some old files difficult at times.

All-in-all I think it's worthwhile. Tons of files, good download speeds, some exclusives as bonuses, no waiting. I think you can sign up on a monthly basis (instead of paying for a whole year) so you can try a month or two and see how much you use it.

Rakeesh
09-28-07, 01:22 AM
Personally I hate fileplanet, and pretty much all of the gayspy network in general. There used to be a time when it was ok, but after a while they started doing this idjit crap, leaving l33tspeak all over their articles and crap. Meh. If I wanted that, I would watch MTV or read other websites directed at 12 year olds. And then they started charging for downloads on top of it all.

I'll stick to filefront, thank you. No speed limits, no lines, and no stupid registration crap.

Sidric
09-28-07, 01:35 AM
I've had a Founder's Club subscription for close to a year now. Its not bad considering the amount of betas I get in to, and all the other fringe benefits like the Hitpoints free games. Some of IGN's Insider stuff is pretty cool. The main thing I like though is I always get maximum bandwidth out of Fileplanet, no matter what. Filefront, worthplaying, etc are usually pretty hit and miss as far as transfer speeds are concerned. But I always get the best speeds out of Fileplanet, and that is what has been keeping me paying all those months.

nutcrackr
09-28-07, 01:38 AM
Some betas I've been in:

Enemy Territory Quake Wars
Auto Assault
Company of Heroes
Crysis
Dungeon Siege II
FEAR
Frontlines: Fuel of War
Tribes: Vengeance

Overall I think its worth it, I just paid $20 for 6 months and 500 hitpoints. Preloading demos is nice, and if I get a few betas over crysis then thats worth it.

I won't keep the subs going though, just cancel it and sign up again when some other beta needs me.

Rakeesh
09-28-07, 01:42 AM
I've had a Founder's Club subscription for close to a year now. Its not bad considering the amount of betas I get in to, and all the other fringe benefits like the Hitpoints free games. Some of IGN's Insider stuff is pretty cool. The main thing I like though is I always get maximum bandwidth out of Fileplanet, no matter what. Filefront, worthplaying, etc are usually pretty hit and miss as far as transfer speeds are concerned. But I always get the best speeds out of Fileplanet, and that is what has been keeping me paying all those months.

I've never had issues with filefront, neither speed related nor otherwise.

Sidric
09-28-07, 01:49 AM
I've never had issues with filefront, neither speed related nor otherwise.

I'm not saying I can't download from filefront, just that I get much faster transfer speeds from fileplanet. I usually get a transfer speed of around 200-300 kbps from filefront, whereas I get right around 500-600+ from fileplanet. this is on a 5meg cable connection.

nekrosoft13
09-28-07, 06:34 AM
i have my founders club subscription for free. so why not ;)

|MaguS|
09-28-07, 08:16 AM
I've been a Founders Club member for about 4 years now...

Noodles
09-28-07, 12:12 PM
MY 5meg connection is garbage....

by time it powers the computer next to the jack, goes through the router wirelessly..comes into my linksys router...hits my computer connection

i'm downloading at 200 tops..

my friend just got the 16 meg connection is it?

unbelievable!

hopefully my new PK53 MOBO with built in wifi will have higher speeds than my crappy linksys b :(

Cause my new computer that can handle betas, etc, is the reason why im interested in an account.

please keep the reviews coming!

Destroy
09-28-07, 12:28 PM
Fileplanet subscription is kind of like paying for bottled water. Some people just have too much money or impatience when they can get it for free else where. Its a luxury thing.

Mr_LoL
09-28-07, 12:39 PM
If I had a really fast connection I will consider it but now, no way. As long as pc demos carry on being free.

I never participate in betas as it can ruin the game experience when the full game comes out.

Reynaldo
09-28-07, 12:53 PM
I must say, I'm loving being a subscriber. I gave in and got it for the Crysis beta, or at least it gave me te final little push I needed. No waiting in lines, preloading demos, betas, and the hitpoints seem like a pretty good deal to me.

jAkUp
09-28-07, 01:03 PM
It's great, no lines, 1.8MB's download speeds.

jAkUp
09-28-07, 01:05 PM
Fileplanet subscription is kind of like paying for bottled water. Some people just have too much money or impatience when they can get it for free else where. Its a luxury thing.

My Crysis beta disagrees with you :)

backfiggen
09-28-07, 01:22 PM
Yes, I've been subscriber for two years now and I don't regret it.
I'll get betas and demos just a couple minutes after release.
I also got Vampire Bloodlines and CoD, because of the Hitpoints Program.

Not to mention Crysis. :captnkill:

CaptNKILL
09-28-07, 02:15 PM
I've been a founders club member for about 16 months. I think its great.

My first year only cost me $20 because there was a little bit of fine print that said you could get a refund for the "free" magazine subscriptions if you didn't want them. Saved myself $40 there. Got Thief 3, Beyond Good and Evil and Daemonica for free with hitpoints (and since I renewed my sub, I got another 1200 points a couple months ago).

The download service is awesome. I usually use 3dgamers if I can because their servers have always been faster for me, but Fileplanet is fine too. As long as I can get a download when I want one and it goes at a decent speed I'm happy.

The betas IMO, are just an added bonus. I bought the subscription to get a few reliable sources for high speed downloads. I was sick of getting screwed on big releases and having to wait 12 hours for the servers to free up (at which point I'd get 30k\sec).

Fileplanet has gotten me in betas for BF 2142, Quake Wars, Crysis, Frontlines, Stalker, Supreme Commander, Test Drive Unlimited AND World in Conflict just in the past year.

I'm more than happy with the service. So... I vote "yay"... :p