PDA

View Full Version : Boy lightening can mess your puter up...

Airbrushkid
09-27-07, 10:16 PM
This evening I was sitting in my house. Thunder making a lot of noise. Power go's out. So I leave the computer off. Turn the tv back on. About 10 minutes later a very big bright white light next to my house. Tv go's out. check the tv, it's gone and even the phone is gone. Try the computer she's dead. Router is gone too. So tomorrow I get to tear the computer apart to see if anything can be saved.

SLippe
09-27-07, 10:24 PM
Simple static electricity around the house can fry your 'puter as well. I know, it did it to mine once. Sorry about your luck, man. Hope everything works out for ya.

Airbrushkid
09-27-07, 10:31 PM
Thanks. I was lucky that it wasn't my computer that is in my sig. It's my old work puter that I do my work on. The one in the sig is not hooked up yet. Need a sound card that Vista works with.

-=DVS=-
09-27-07, 10:34 PM
Does things like UPS (uninterruptible power supply) and surge protector help against lightning ?

Airbrushkid
09-27-07, 10:51 PM
Don't know. I had a surge protecting power strip. Lightening still can travel thru my dsl line which can go thru the modem then router and to boom computer. I wish a I had wireless router..

supra
09-27-07, 10:59 PM
Don't know. I had a surge protecting power strip. Lightening still can travel thru my dsl line which can go thru the modem then router and to boom computer. I wish a I had wireless router..

ive got a surge protected power board that has phoneline in/out aswell u need one of those :D

Absolution
09-28-07, 12:06 AM
the chance that your going to recieve a shock through your phone or cable (internet/tv) is rather low. most are burried underground (almost all new lines are exclusively underground, along with power actually)

while i've never seen my pc be shocked by lighting, the power has gone out many times within a few seconds and my pc kept running like a champ. gotta be the good old psu keeping a seconds worth of power even when there is no new power

bob saget
09-28-07, 12:39 AM
sometimes surge protector doesn't work too. Its better to have it though cause it works 90% of the time (in my experience)

crainger
09-28-07, 01:48 AM
the chance that your going to recieve a shock through your phone or cable (internet/tv) is rather low. most are burried underground (almost all new lines are exclusively underground, along with power actually)

while i've never seen my pc be shocked by lighting, the power has gone out many times within a few seconds and my pc kept running like a champ. gotta be the good old psu keeping a seconds worth of power even when there is no new power

Where I live we have had a few big shocks come through the phone line. I have a big filter right at the main Phone jack. Had to replace it a couple times after a big storm. In fact during a rather nasty storm I unplugged the phone line from the modem and there was a bright arc from the unplugged end to a near by metal stool leg. Scared the crap outta me. :D

SLippe
09-28-07, 02:03 AM
ive got a surge protected power board that has phoneline in/out aswell u need one of those :D
I've got one similar that has the cable hookups in/out and that's what I use. I don't own a UPS, but have always considered getting one, just never have. How do you know what size UPS to buy?

Absolution
09-28-07, 02:31 AM
sometimes surge protector doesn't work too. Its better to have it though cause it works 90% of the time (in my experience)
and dont forget, surge protecters are supposed to be replaced after one surge

they also have a max amount of surge they can handle

that sucks crainger, where do you live? i live in the midwest where lighting is very common

Airbrushkid
09-28-07, 05:06 AM
Here all the lines are above ground not buried like you said. Another note. Lightening is free flowing electricity, it doesn't need wires to flow. So surge protectors don't always work.

Airbrushkid
09-28-07, 05:08 AM
Well I gotta go and won't be on til tonight when I come back to work where I internet services.

bob saget
09-28-07, 04:38 PM
and dont forget, surge protecters are supposed to be replaced after one surge

they also have a max amount of surge they can handle

that sucks crainger, where do you live? i live in the midwest where lighting is very common

i didnt know that.

Bman212121
09-28-07, 06:20 PM
I've got one similar that has the cable hookups in/out and that's what I use. I don't own a UPS, but have always considered getting one, just never have. How do you know what size UPS to buy?

http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/

I'm using an APC 1200va on my main rig in sig. It draws about 300W including the monitor, a cable modem, and an amp for my cable. It will give about 20 minutes of runtime should the power go out. That should be enough time to finish doing something and shut down the pc. (Or finish up a short round of gaming and at least tell everyone that you have to go because the power is out)

If I were going new I would probably go right for the 1500 model for the extra runtime.

EDIT: I had to switch the details, it provides a little more power than I thought. Took this pic a week or two ago. Also I had 2 74GB raptors hooked up to the pc as well when I took the pic, so you can drop a few more watts off of that.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/2774/apc1200kn2.jpg

einstein_314
09-28-07, 06:27 PM
I've got a Belkin 800VA UPS. I'm not sure how much my rig draws, but when the power goes out I get like 3 minutes of run time :D That's with my monitor, rig, modem, and router plugged into it. Just enough time to save whatever I'm doing and shutdown. I tried once playing a game when the power was out :p That only lasted for like a minute and a bit before it died. Lol. I think I need a bigger UPS.

Bman212121
09-28-07, 06:29 PM
I've got a Belkin 800VA UPS. I'm not sure how much my rig draws, but when the power goes out I get like 3 minutes of run time :D That's with my monitor, rig, modem, and router plugged into it. Just enough time to save whatever I'm doing and shutdown. I tried once playing a game when the power was out :p That only lasted for like a minute and a bit before it died. Lol. I think I need a bigger UPS.

Heck ya you do. I'm suprised you aren't overloading that UPS with what is hooked up. (You might be and not know it either)

I don't see an 800 listed on their site, but the 750va is 400W and the 900 is 540W. So I'd guess it can handle like a 450W load. I would bet when you are in a game your turning numbers pretty close to the full load of that device. I can't remember now if I can get into the 400's or not in game, but it is probably pretty close.

Airbrushkid
09-28-07, 07:17 PM
Well got to report. Went thru the computer today. Boy was I lucky. All it fried was the motherboard. Everything else even power supply is good. So it seems the lightening traveled thru the dsl line. It took the modem and my router out and motherboard. Bad news is there will be no service til next Tuesday, is what they tell me. Well I won't be back on til tomorrow night..

Bman212121
09-28-07, 07:31 PM
That's good to hear. I usually unplug most of that stuff when it gets really bad out for that reason.

$n][pErMan
09-28-07, 07:46 PM
Thats why when I am golfing and a storm is coming I get to the club house... and I certainly don't swing my puter when one is brewing.

Greg
09-28-07, 09:14 PM
Does things like UPS (uninterruptible power supply) and surge protector help against lightning ?
A good quality UPS should have the same level of protection as a high quality surge protector. In my case, not. (I had purchased the cheapest UPS I could find... loads of power, quite unreliable.)

I had a nearby lightning strike a while back, it took out my Router, UPS and one NIC in one computer (the 2nd NIC in the same PC was fine). ~$300 of damage. I went out and bought $120 worth of quality surge protection and my new UPS has similarly rated protection.

Nothing will protect you from a direct hit, or very close hit, but after the pain of purchasing boring stuff like surge protection and UPS, you will be happier. By the way, I looked at my UPS log a while back and it showed that while I was using the PC, over 12 months I experienced 13 blackouts, most were short spikes lasting less than 1 second.

911medic
09-29-07, 08:18 AM
I saw a show once about lightning where they tested and found that buried lines are no more safe from lightning than overhead lines. The lightning struck the ground and "found" the underground lines just as easily as the overhead ones.

They monitored the electric charge in the air, and when it reached a certain point, they launched a small rocket device that trailed a wire into the sky. Almost every time, lightning would shoot back down the wire to the ground. If they did it over a sandy area, the lightning actually traveled through the sand to the underground lines. The sand was melted into a glass-like formation in the exact shape/travel pattern of the lightning that they would excavate afterward. They were able to follow it all the way down to the underground lines.

It was pretty cool.