PDA

View Full Version : I think my CPU died ... no idea how

Lazaredz
09-28-07, 12:40 AM
So I turned off my computer last night and went to bed. This AM I turn the machine on and while the fans start up, nothing else happens. No POST, no HD activing, no video signal, no beeps. I have had NO problems whatsoever leading up to this and nothing was overclocked (although they have been in the past).

Setup is:

E6600
Asus P5B Deluxe
Corsiar C5D8500 2GB (Twin pack)
EVGA 8800GTX
SB X-Fi XM
WD Raptor 150GB

I broke the machine down to just the MB, CPU, Mem, and Video ... no change.

Reset the BIOS ... removed the battery ... no change.

The only thing I noticed as odd is; the MB has a little Asus logo as the bottom that gets backlid by and LED. Blue = power but off, Red = on. When I turn the machine on it kicks over to Red and the fans start for about 1 second except the video card fan. Then it turns to blue for about 1 second and the fans start to die off. Then its back to red and the fans all start again and about 1 second later the video card fan starts.

Anywho, I got a cheap motherboard and basicly had the same thing happen. Fans start but no POST or anything.

I also got the same results having removed the MB from the case and using it on a static bag over cardboard.

Also, the P5B does not have any beep or post code to try and do some diagnostics with.

What do you all think?

Absolution
09-28-07, 01:08 AM
the mb will beep if you dont have a cpu (same with no memory)

it wont post, but it will anoy the hell out of you

dead psu or mb is my guess

jcrox
09-28-07, 01:16 AM
I'd check the PSU

beardstroke
09-28-07, 01:32 AM
P5B Deluxe are notorious for this problem and it has to do with your high performance RAM and the motherboards default voltage levels and possibly its drooping problem.

Remove one stick of RAM and try booting, if no work, stick it back in and remove the other.

If it still doesn't work, get some DDR2-800 or lower speed DDR2 RAM and boot off of that... then upgrade the motherboard firmware / and or increase the voltage on your RAM a little bit.

Lazaredz
09-28-07, 01:34 AM
Well, that is the problem. The P5B does nto have any beep codes. I tried it by pulling the memory out and no beeb.

I suppose it could be the PSU, but that would be VERY odd ... its a good Seasonic M12 700W and nothing seems to be wrong with it. I'll see if I can test it tomorrow (out of state right now so I have no other machines to test with .... will drag it to a store)

My first guess was MB too, but it does the SAME thing with a different and brand new MB.

Anywho, thx for the feedback .... just trying to bounce some ideas off of people and I have no people where I am right now.

:)

Absolution
09-28-07, 03:34 AM
Well, that is the problem. The P5B does nto have any beep codes. I tried it by pulling the memory out and no beeb.

I suppose it could be the PSU, but that would be VERY odd ... its a good Seasonic M12 700W and nothing seems to be wrong with it. I'll see if I can test it tomorrow (out of state right now so I have no other machines to test with .... will drag it to a store)

My first guess was MB too, but it does the SAME thing with a different and brand new MB.

Anywho, thx for the feedback .... just trying to bounce some ideas off of people and I have no people where I am right now.

:) so it doesnt have an onboard speaker. . . at all? wtf

oh, forgot to add ram to the list of problems, cpu's dont generally die (unless oc'ed/overheated) - in fact, ive never seen one die

SLippe
09-28-07, 05:21 AM
I'm betting mobo.

$n][pErMan
09-28-07, 07:54 PM
Without reading everything in this thread... Have you checked the video card? I had one die awhile back (A GeForce 2 Ti) and the fan would still spin but no video or boot. Swapped cards and it was all good... just a thought.

Lazaredz
09-30-07, 12:00 AM
Okay I THINK the problem is the ram ... sorta.

I took all the parts into a store where I know one of the techs. He checked everything out piece by piece and the ram would not work on another board. In fact it did the SAME thing that was happening to me. no beeps, no video, nada but power.

So I took it all home and recalled that I had a simular issue with my RMA'd EVGA 680i board the first time I tried to get it running. I played with it ALOT on eventually got it to boot and things worked fine after that.

Anywho, I messed with the ram and placement for quite awhile. I even had set the ram voltage to 2.1 in the BIOS at the store when he had the MB running with different ram. Still didn't want to boot. So I bought some cheap ram and loaded it into the board, boots up with no worries. Shut the machine down and added the old (?better???) ram in the secondary slots and got the full 4 GB in BIOS. Loaded into windows just fine and rebooted/shut down and restarted just fine.

SOOOOO, I ended up using my old Corsair ram (C5D8500) in the primarys again and now have a set of cheap ram to back it up with.

Since this is "SLI" ready ram, does it have its own BIOS or something simular that could get "locked up"?

Its really wierd. This whole thing happened with just a normal shut down and attempt to restart in the AM. :\????

Anywho, thanks for the help all. Appreciate it. :)

qube
09-30-07, 09:08 PM
yes they have a sort of bios