PDA

View Full Version : registrycleanerxp popup

Lucky
09-28-07, 10:54 AM
I am running XP and keep getting a popup from www.registrycleanerxp.com stating that my registry is corrupt.

Would appreciate any help on preventing the popup without using a popup killer program. I am using Firefox browser but the popup appears even if the browser is not on as long as I am connected to the internet.

evilghost
09-28-07, 11:16 AM
Screenshot of the popup please. It's either adware or you're getting owned via messenger spam.

nekrosoft13
09-28-07, 11:30 AM
its adware i seen that before, its asking you to install that program. What ever you do, don't install it. This will actually install more crap on your PC.

evilghost
09-28-07, 11:33 AM
In that case, time for AdAware + Spybot.

Lucky
09-29-07, 09:47 AM
Finally resolved the problem Saw some stuff soft on the Microsoft site about problems that Messenger Service can cause. I disabled it and have not had any more registry popups. Thanks to all.

evilghost
09-29-07, 12:30 PM
Finally resolved the problem Saw some stuff soft on the Microsoft site about problems that Messenger Service can cause. I disabled it and have not had any more registry popups. Thanks to all.

This means you're not behind a NAT or firewall and are currently at risk. This means NetBIOS/Microsoft-DS is also accessible. Please install a firewall

XDanger
09-29-07, 01:54 PM
that thing was supposed to be used for communication on a lan or whatever , stoopid windows.

Lucky
09-29-07, 03:31 PM
I do have a Firewall called Comodo Firewall Pro. It is a frrebie.I checked it out from www.shieldsup.com and the results were very good. I had been using Zone Alarm but didn't want to download the huge file needed to update. Also, Comodo takes less time to load at startup. Thanks for bringing the matter to my attention