PDA

View Full Version : how to increase performance (at cost of IQ or whatever?)

mikedep333
09-28-07, 04:20 PM
So I just bought myself a nice HP tx1000z laptop with a nice and fast Turion 64 X2 TL-64 @ 2.2 ghz (like 2 3.5-Ghz Pentium 4's.) However, the Geforce 6150 in it is a pitiful performer. For example, Half-Life 2 (late 2004) runs fine on it at 1280x800 on lowest detail, but Civilization 4 (late 2005) runs at like 10 FPS with lowest detail at the lowest res of 1024x768. I am thus willing to trade things like CPU usage and image quality for increased performance.

Does anyone have any advice on how to increase performance other than using the Nvidia control panel ( at advanced settings) and other than overclocking (I am not taking the slightest chance of damaging my laptop.) I put Windows XP on my laptop instead of Vista and I am using the 156.65 driver. (None of the 160.xx series seem to work. I get corruption on bootup and then a restart. Additionally I didn't have to use a modified INF with this driver.)

Here are my current Nvidia Control Panel Settings. I believe they are maxed out for performance:
AF: off
AA: none
AA transparency: off
Conformant Texture Clamp: use hardware
Error Reporting: off
Extension Limit: off
Force Mipmaps: bilinear
(I am only using my laptop's display)
Texture filtering - Anisotropic mip filter optimization: on
Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization: on
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: allow
Texture filtering - Quality: High Performance
Texture filtering: Trilinear optimization: On
Threaded optimization: On (I have a dual-core CPU)
Triple buffering: off
Vsync: Force off

Update: Oops, I forgot to move this to the legacy section. However I suppose any answers would apply to people with a measley 7200 as well.

mikedep333
10-07-07, 10:10 PM
Anyone? Does using the NGOHQ drivers help or anything?

daforce
10-07-07, 10:50 PM
I dont think there is much you can do.
The graphics card is what it is.

Maybe a little research before buying would have nett'ed you a better card.

The dell range of laptops have high end 7900 cards in them even 8xxx series cards now as well.

I think any changes you make in the control panel..etc.. will gain minimal performance increases. Looks like what you have done so far is basically all that can be done. :(