PDA

View Full Version : NBA 2K8 BLOWS! Canceling Preorder!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tygerwoody
09-28-07, 08:45 PM
This game is trash. I have never played 2k7, but I put in a preorder for 2k8 just because of the rave reviews from 2k7. I just downloaded the demo to 2k8 tonight and man am I disappointed. Here are a few quick tidbits.

-The graphics are crap. Not a single basketball player remotely resembles who they are. Everything looks "blurry".

-Gameplay is boring. "simulation" or not. The game is dull and not fun. On top of that, the insane amount of simple layups both my team and the opposing team were MISSING was just stupid.

-Basketballs teleporting all over the place. I don't remember it being this bad even on Playstation 1 games.

I don't know how 2k7 was. I don't know how it compares to this game at all, but this game absolutely blows. I am canceling my preorder as we speak and preordering NBA Live 08. Long live the king. Long live EA :headbang:

kev13dd
09-28-07, 08:53 PM
And after all that trouble you put into worrying about getting it at your house the day of release. Shame

K

|MaguS|
09-28-07, 08:54 PM
It's probably just the PS3 version...

jAkUp
09-28-07, 09:01 PM
Yea 2K8 is pretty bad, 2k7 was much better IMO.

Bokishi
09-28-07, 11:44 PM
Yeah I tried the demo and decided that I probably won't get it, since it's not that much different from 2k7.

Mr. Hunt
09-29-07, 06:20 AM
Of course it sucks... its a sports game.

crainger
09-29-07, 09:24 AM
Tigerwoods 08 is worse than 07, now NBA too? EA Sports needs to have a look at EA for once. Usually it's the other way round.

Mr. Hunt
09-29-07, 09:39 AM
Tigerwoods 08 is worse than 07, now NBA too? EA Sports needs to have a look at EA for once. Usually it's the other way round.

Think they are talking about the one made by 2K sports... not the EA (Live I think?).

delas52
09-29-07, 09:42 AM
I would have to disagree. As a basketball player and nba/college fan I would have to say they took 2k7 and fixed almost everything that was wrong with it. No more unstoppable hop-stepping, no more inbounding the ball down the length of the court, no more easy points on every possession, no more invisible force field keeping you from going out of bounds, replays now only on good plays like and-1's not just random jump shots, no more ridiculous dunks in traffic by bums, the list goes on. The faces now look like the players and they have improved on 2k7s already-amazing animations and added in those little things like high-5's after nice plays or shots or jumping over the camera men after running out of bounds (things that make the presentation so great in APF 2k8).

To me it seems like you just want hang-time 2008 or some arcade experience that you just wont find with the 2k series.

As for your complaints: the gfx aren't amazing no, Live 08's gfx will look better in still screenshots, but in motion 2k8 looks amazing, standing from far away you could mistake it for a real broadcast.

And missing lay-ups, realize it is not easy to make a lay-up when you have Duncan contesting it.

crainger
09-29-07, 09:47 AM
Think they are talking about the one made by 2K sports... not the EA (Live I think?).

OH! :o

I ah knew that. I was just testing you guys. You passed Mr. Hunt. Congrats.

and yeah! 2K should ashamed of themselves just as EA Sports should be too!

Tygerwoody
09-29-07, 10:58 AM
I would have to disagree. As a basketball player and nba/college fan I would have to say they took 2k7 and fixed almost everything that was wrong with it. No more unstoppable hop-stepping, no more inbounding the ball down the length of the court, no more easy points on every possession, no more invisible force field keeping you from going out of bounds, replays now only on good plays like and-1's not just random jump shots, no more ridiculous dunks in traffic by bums, the list goes on. The faces now look like the players and they have improved on 2k7s already-amazing animations and added in those little things like high-5's after nice plays or shots or jumping over the camera men after running out of bounds (things that make the presentation so great in APF 2k8).

To me it seems like you just want hang-time 2008 or some arcade experience that you just wont find with the 2k series.

As for your complaints: the gfx aren't amazing no, Live 08's gfx will look better in still screenshots, but in motion 2k8 looks amazing, standing from far away you could mistake it for a real broadcast.

And missing lay-ups, realize it is not easy to make a lay-up when you have Duncan contesting it.
I play basketball on a weekly basis. I'm a huge NBA fan(college is boring). I hate NBA Jam unrealistic games. This has nothing to do with being too realistic. In fact its the opposite. Its not realistic at all. None of it is. When I have a WIDE OPEN layup(Tim Duncan nowhere in sight), as an NBA(not scrub college) player, I should make that layup 99 times out of 100. Hell. I even had Tim Duncan himself on the other team miss a wide open layup. This is stupid and should not happen in any game. If the net is wide open, an NBA player should make it 99 times out of 100 for a simple layup.

Graphics look like the players? Are we playing the same game? Please show me ONE player that looks like their counterpart in the game. The closest resemblance I have seen is Mike Brown, the coach for the Cavaliers. And basically he's just a fat black man. Thats close enough for me. What about Popovich? I didn't realize Popovich was in his early 30's and looks more athletic than his entire NBA team? Lebron James? Tim Duncan? This are BIG names that they should spend extra time on. If you were to put either of these guys in normal clothes and ask me "What basketball player is this?", I would not get it right. Neither would anyone. NBA Live 08, is the complete opposite. Most everyone looks like who they are or AT LEAST has a few favorable features.

And animations are good? You mean the COMPLETELY RANDOM animations the players do for no particular reason? I completely schooled the Spurs and went in for the dunk. Slammed it in Tim Duncan's face. What does Tim Duncan do? Get mad for being embarrassed? Of course not. He high fives his team and dances around like a ****ing retard. I understand they want to add "random" movements to the game, but come on now. Thats just dumb. And it happens throughout the whole game. Animations are not smooth at all. They just zip from one animation to another. A person can be jumping up for a block, and IN MID AIR teleport back down to the ground and steal. Thats realistic?

NBA Live 08 isn't realistic either. I have my fair share of complaints with that game as well, but in comparison to this joke of a game 2k8 it is lacking even more.

Anyway, this is just my opinion vs. yours. Its not like we will go anywhere with this. The point of this thread is to just get people to TRY OUT 2k8 before they buy it. Who knows, they might get disappointed like me? They might think I'm utterly wrong and love the game? Doesn't matter much to me. I'm saving my $75 on preordering this game and purchasing the better one. They can make their own decision.

Zelda_fan
09-29-07, 11:03 AM
The problem with these games is that the people who make them have probably never picked up a basketball in their life. They are a bunch of pencil pusher scrubs with no knowledge of the game whatsoever. Of course the game won't reflect what it's really like on the court.

Due to that reason I stopped playing these games a long time ago. I'd rather get out there on an actual court and play a game in real life.

Mr. Hunt
09-29-07, 12:27 PM
Tyger.. how dare you bash NBA Jam! Playing as Hilary Clinton OWNED YOUR FACE OFF AND YOU KNOW IT!

delas52
09-29-07, 02:45 PM
I play basketball on a weekly basis. I'm a huge NBA fan(college is boring). I hate NBA Jam unrealistic games. This has nothing to do with being too realistic. In fact its the opposite. Its not realistic at all. None of it is. When I have a WIDE OPEN layup(Tim Duncan nowhere in sight), as an NBA(not scrub college) player, I should make that layup 99 times out of 100. Hell. I even had Tim Duncan himself on the other team miss a wide open layup. This is stupid and should not happen in any game. If the net is wide open, an NBA player should make it 99 times out of 100 for a simple layup.

Graphics look like the players? Are we playing the same game? Please show me ONE player that looks like their counterpart in the game. The closest resemblance I have seen is Mike Brown, the coach for the Cavaliers. And basically he's just a fat black man. Thats close enough for me. What about Popovich? I didn't realize Popovich was in his early 30's and looks more athletic than his entire NBA team? Lebron James? Tim Duncan? This are BIG names that they should spend extra time on. If you were to put either of these guys in normal clothes and ask me "What basketball player is this?", I would not get it right. Neither would anyone. NBA Live 08, is the complete opposite. Most everyone looks like who they are or AT LEAST has a few favorable features.

And animations are good? You mean the COMPLETELY RANDOM animations the players do for no particular reason? I completely schooled the Spurs and went in for the dunk. Slammed it in Tim Duncan's face. What does Tim Duncan do? Get mad for being embarrassed? Of course not. He high fives his team and dances around like a ****ing retard. I understand they want to add "random" movements to the game, but come on now. Thats just dumb. And it happens throughout the whole game. Animations are not smooth at all. They just zip from one animation to another. A person can be jumping up for a block, and IN MID AIR teleport back down to the ground and steal. Thats realistic?

NBA Live 08 isn't realistic either. I have my fair share of complaints with that game as well, but in comparison to this joke of a game 2k8 it is lacking even more.

Anyway, this is just my opinion vs. yours. Its not like we will go anywhere with this. The point of this thread is to just get people to TRY OUT 2k8 before they buy it. Who knows, they might get disappointed like me? They might think I'm utterly wrong and love the game? Doesn't matter much to me. I'm saving my $75 on preordering this game and purchasing the better one. They can make their own decision.

Very well, we agree to disagree :).

Tygerwoody
09-29-07, 03:49 PM
Very well, we agree to disagree :).
sounds good. :p

Lyme
09-29-07, 11:24 PM
It's probably just the PS3 version...

You feeling ok? Your not coming down with something are ya?

jAkUp
09-30-07, 01:59 AM
My main complaints are the cyberfaces and graphics, the faces just look horrible. Tim Duncan looks nothing like Tim Duncan, and Greg Popavich looks horrendous, other than that it is an ok game, but it is hard for me to get past those.

I still prefer Live this year.

Mr. Hunt
09-30-07, 06:40 AM
My main complaints are the cyberfaces and graphics, the faces just look horrible. Tim Duncan looks nothing like Tim Duncan, and Greg Popavich looks horrendous, other than that it is an ok game, but it is hard for me to get past those.

I still prefer Live this year.

To be fair though, Greg Popavich (if that is the right spelling... have no idea) always look horrendous... so it sounds like he looks dead on.

Tygerwoody
09-30-07, 10:21 AM
To be fair though, Greg Popavich (if that is the right spelling... have no idea) always look horrendous... so it sounds like he looks dead on.
on Live, Popovich looks nearly exactly his counterpart. Which is... yes horrendous.

On 2k8, he looks like a high schooler(just like EVERYONE on this game) with white hair.

From reading on other forums, a lot of people are saying 2K8 looks and plays worse than 2K7.

Ruined
10-02-07, 12:26 PM
on Live, Popovich looks nearly exactly his counterpart. Which is... yes horrendous.

On 2k8, he looks like a high schooler(just like EVERYONE on this game) with white hair.

From reading on other forums, a lot of people are saying 2K8 looks and plays worse than 2K7.

NHL 2K8 is also worse than NHL 2K7 with a backwards control mechanism, resulting in my purchasing EA's NHL 08 for the first time in years. IMO All Pro Football also did not match up to Madden this year either.

2K Sports really blew it this year!

Tygerwoody
10-02-07, 12:50 PM
NHL 2K8 is also worse than NHL 2K7 with a backwards control mechanism, resulting in my purchasing EA's NHL 08 for the first time in years. IMO All Pro Football also did not match up to Madden this year either.

2K Sports really blew it this year!
Glad to see I'm not crazy and not the only one who noticed. :p

It honestly just seems like 2k pulled an "AMD". Got use to be top dog, then stopped working on improvements. Yea for lazy companies!

Due to the fact 2k7 games were so good(as i hear), I think they will do fine for this year selling a subpar product(and yes, not improving on a GREAT game from last year in my opinion is SUBPAR when you can clearly produce a better product). However if they slip up next year, they are going to get slaughtered by EA in every category.

Apollo 13
10-02-07, 02:48 PM
I like 2K animations it makes the game looks so damn real and the graphics arn't that bad. I love lives graphics but the gameplay is meh.

Apollo 13
10-02-07, 04:18 PM
http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/752CC9C3-2CC7-4838-A4D0-7ECF4F368211.htm

Tygerwoody
10-02-07, 04:34 PM
http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/752CC9C3-2CC7-4838-A4D0-7ECF4F368211.htm
That screen shot on the site is nowhere NEAR what the game really looks like. I don't see how I find all these sites with decent screen shots of 2k8, when in reality it looks terrible.

Slash310
10-02-07, 05:01 PM
this game is awesome, its plays better than the demo. though the only thing i still hate is the disappearing uniforms but other then that i like this game.