PDA

View Full Version : Games feel tired

Pages : [1] 2

Vanzagar
09-28-07, 11:15 PM
Hmm, just played the Jericho demo and am wondering if first person games will ever only consist of different ways of killing. Kill guy by sword, kill demon by spell, kill soldier by gun, kill kill kill... how many different ways can we kill things? Why is it so interesting for us to kill? I feel like I've killed just about every type of creature with every type of weapon and somehow I just keep hoping that a game will be more. More how? I don't know... can't explain it, I guess more of a story other than a thin story buried in hours of killing. Can a game invoke emotions like a movie? Can't say I've ever been close to crying or been real happy from playing a game, although I have laughed... a little... not as hard as I’ve laughed watching Superbad the other night though...

Every time my wife sees me playing a new game, she always comments. So what's there to do other then kill things. I try to explain to her, well you have to think through this or solve that, so there's a little thinking but yeah mostly killing shiit again...

The environments, models, textures, effect ..etc keep getting better and better, we're so close to photorealism, when will developers stop spending energy in trying to make their engines look better, and focus solely on a great gaming experience. Don't get me wrong I like some killing things and enjoy new environments it just feels like games are on the verge of taking a big step, a new revolutionary step away from constant killing. I think Bioshock's trying to move in the right direction and I appreciate their efforts.

Yeah I know I can go play a sports game or fire up a racing game, but damn when can I get immersed into a great environment in a first person view and get sucked into a great story without blowing the sheet out everything that moves... I mean the movie Gladiator was a violent movie with kind of a new environment at the time (not entirely new but you know what I mean) and it was able to invoked strong emotions in me of really feeling sad for the dude at the end. Why can't a game do that? Will a game ever be able to do that? So far, for me anyways, none have come close... have any games ever invoked strong emotions in you?

Anyways just my 2 cents in a late night rant before I crash...

Vanz

bugmeplz
09-28-07, 11:34 PM
What are you rambling about? Please try posting again when you can make some logical sense.

Bman212121
09-28-07, 11:39 PM
You might want to back away from the computer for a few days there my friend. ;) Get some fresh air while your up and about.

SH64
09-28-07, 11:46 PM
Hmm, just played the Jericho demo and am wondering if first person games will ever only consist of different ways of killing. Kill guy by sword, kill demon by spell, kill soldier by gun, kill kill kill... how many different ways can we kill things? Why is it so interesting for us to kill?
Simply because you can't do this in real life (i.e. using weapons , killing people , destroying stuff .. etc).
games usually simulate stuff that you can't do in real life so you can enjoy what you can't experiance in a safe manner. thats how i see it.

if you don't like action games maybe you need to check some adventure games for more "emotions" & rational gameplay.

methimpikehoses
09-29-07, 12:03 AM
Try chess.

jAkUp
09-29-07, 12:08 AM
Play Bioshock :)

Saintster
09-29-07, 12:25 AM
play with yourself

methimpikehoses
09-29-07, 12:26 AM
play with yourself

I'm getting 300FPS!

shilk
09-29-07, 12:34 AM
LMFAO! :lol2:

I crown thee the new "I spit tea on my new monitor king!" No seriously. I just bought the damn thing last night and now I have you to thank for making this mess. ;)

Vanzagar
09-29-07, 12:47 AM
What are you rambling about? Please try posting again when you can make some logical sense.
If you'd learn how to read and use that rock between your ears you might be able to figure it out...

You might want to back away from the computer for a few days there my friend. Get some fresh air while your up and about.
Nah, it's quite the opposite, I hardly play games anymore because after a short while they all feel too similar.

Play Bioshock
Yeah I did, I mentioned it, like I said it's a step in the right dir'n...

Simply because you can't do this in real life
Yeah maybe, I guess I'm past that point now and try to look for a bit more...

Try chess.
Great game, but it's not first person, and not very immersive...

Vanz

CaptNKILL
09-29-07, 01:07 AM
I'm getting 300FPS!
Faps Per Second? :captnkill: :captnkill: :captnkill:

bugmeplz
09-29-07, 01:24 AM
Amazing how openly people discuss "fapping" but clam-up when proper, mature terminology is used. There is a certain homo-erotic element to these forums for sure...

Destroy
09-29-07, 02:29 AM
There is a game coming out (have no clue what the name is), I think console only, where you make choices on how you treat a 'pet' dog. In the video I saw you have to help it or watch and listen to it wimper in agony as it badly tries to follow you. It was all done very convincingly and definitely envokes emotions from the player.

I'm sure someone here will know what I'm refering to and link to the proper game.

Dreamingawake
09-29-07, 02:31 AM
I don't understand why others couldn't grasp the original posters message.

It's not hard to understand, after all, it's in English.

Try reading it again. And this time, use your imaginations ;)

spirited1
09-29-07, 08:12 AM
There is a game coming out (have no clue what the name is), I think console only, where you make choices on how you treat a 'pet' dog. In the video I saw you have to help it or watch and listen to it wimper in agony as it badly tries to follow you. It was all done very convincingly and definitely envokes emotions from the player.

I'm sure someone here will know what I'm refering to and link to the proper game.

Fable 2?

spirited1
09-29-07, 08:18 AM
So far, for me anyways, none have come close... have any games ever invoked strong emotions in you?

Anyways just my 2 cents in a late night rant before I crash...

Vanz

Aeris, Final Fantasy 7.

Since then? None.

I always thought games were moving towards the emotional content you find in films.. they probably are, it's just taking the developers a long time to get there and the well executed emotional story driven titles are few and far between.

Destroy
09-29-07, 08:55 AM
Fable 2?

Yes, that is it. Thanks.

Capt. Picard
09-29-07, 09:02 AM
This is why I like Oblivion so much and still play it. You can kill if you want to but there are many stages that don't involve any killing at all.

OldOfEvil
09-29-07, 09:15 AM
Its called mediocrity in the gaming world. Welcome to cynicism, pick up your jaded gamer shirt at the door..

SOAD
09-29-07, 09:21 AM
Faps Per Second? :captnkill: :captnkill: :captnkill:

im getting a driver error :( profile not loaded :(

Downloading new client now

crainger
09-29-07, 09:50 AM
Amazing how openly people discuss "fapping" but clam-up when proper, mature terminology is used. There is a certain homo-erotic element to these forums for sure...

Oh go intercourse yourself.

XDanger
09-29-07, 10:01 AM
When games all went 3d I thought to myself WHY? 2d games were playable and fun, why do new games all have to involve running around in a 3d enviroment, And the point about being able to do things in games you cant do in real life ,Well I LIVE in a 3d enviroment and I CAN shoot people if I wish to.
Im not saying games should be all be 2d by the way

The hacking part of bioshock is pathetic and a missed opportunity but more sub-games like that wouldnt hurt, I actually thought of using the pipemania element in a subgame but since I dont make puter games it didnt happen :retard:
just incase it turns up in a new game aswell as pipemania ,I thought a simple puzzle game or something like puzzle-bobble could be used to represent dna re-arrangement or the players immune system to enable regeneration or ability advancement.
Come to think of it asteroids would be the perfect type of thing for the immune system, I like things that work on many levels.

Its not a lack of imagination thats lacking but market forces and lack of risk taking.

delas52
09-29-07, 10:23 AM
I'm with the OP, games are starting to bore me to death, at least shooters. I have most of my fun with sports games lately (playing with my cousins or friends over live is great) and I just got WiC for a change of pace, and it is pretty good too.

Madpistol
09-29-07, 11:12 AM
I'm getting 300FPS!

I'm getting 400FPS...

Ahhh crap, overheating.

Throttling back. :surrender

Madpistol
09-29-07, 11:14 AM
I'm with the OP, games are starting to bore me to death, at least shooters. I have most of my fun with sports games lately (playing with my cousins or friends over live is great) and I just got WiC for a change of pace, and it is pretty good too.

Have you tried Team Fortress 2? It's a woot! Great change of pace compared to most First person shooters. It's somewhat comical, which is very welcome in a genre that is often too serious.