PDA

View Full Version : Another which 8800 should I buy thread

FastRedPonyCar
09-29-07, 10:09 AM
Ok. I've got $650 in my hand right now and I want an 8800.

Question is, do I get a superclocked EVGA 8800GTS 640 for $375 after rebate?

Or get the standard 8800GTX for $510 after rebate and OC the hell out of it? (and does it overclock well?)

I'm scared that if I get the 640, I'll regret the lack of memory when games like crysis and (if it ever comes out) alan wake come out. If I can get 8800 ultra performance from the GTX by oc'ing it, that seems like the most attractive option.

I'll hopefully be doing high res widescreen gaming and I want something that will last me well to the end of next year unless these soon to be released G92 or whatever they'll be called really can do the same or more with less muscle. If they do, I'll still be within the 90 days to step up should I want to but the biggest question mark for me is if these upcoming cards can hang with an overclocked gtx. From everything I've read, it doesn't look like they can. These games that are coming out eat up video ram like candy and from what I've read, the higher quantity of ram in the GTX's will separate the men from the boys when these next gen games start coming out and people's experiences with the crysis beta seems to inforce this notion.

In the event that they CAN accomplish GTX performance with 512mb ram, I know I should wait or get the oc'd GTS but again, it looks like they can't.

What do you think guys? I'm sick of playing all my games at low resolutions. I'm putting off firing up bioshock because I want to enjoy the game as it was intended. And after seeing Jericho bring my pc to it's knees, it just makes me want SOMETHING.

Oh also worth noting is that I use a creative EMU 1212m audio card which is actually 2 cards so my 2nd PCIe slot is spoken for so I won't have the option to run SLI.

methimpikehoses
09-29-07, 10:22 AM
GTX FTW... it can handle it all, and you can play Bioshock maxed out.

FastRedPonyCar
09-30-07, 11:38 AM
Well, after debating it, I settled on the MSI 8800 ultra. I was going to get the evga 8800GTX oc but it was the same price as the faster msi card.

Yay!

Libertysyclone
09-30-07, 12:43 PM
youll love your ultra, they maybe a little overpriced but mine OC's a lot more than my GTX did.